The One (The Selection) by Kiera Cass

The One (The Selection) (edition 2014)

by Kiera Cass

Member:cbritt29
Title:The One (The Selection)
Authors:Kiera Cass
Info:HarperTeen (2014), Hardcover, 336 pages

The One by Kiera Cass

English (125)  German (1)  All languages (126)

I've outgrowned this series a bit, due to getting older and how long it took for this book to arrive. But I do think it's a fitting end to an interesting series. I'm sure it will please most fans.
I liked who she ends up with. I do think that much of the story is quite predictable and some things are hinted at so much, that there aren't any real suprises.
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
The novel starts off with a rebel attack. Two rebels request to speak with Maxon and America. Later on in the conversation, the rebels tell Maxon to choose America as his wife. They also wanted to end the caste system. Then one night, America discovered how deep her love with Maxon is, but she doesn't reveal this to him or the others. America found Celeste crying in the library one day and she apologized to America about her mean attitude towards her since the beginning of the Selection. Being apart of the Elite, one of the tests you have to face is jailing someone that's most likely innocent. America was able to do it, but she gave the prisoner the necklace her father gave to her. Later on, the competition gets narrowed down to two: America and Kriss. America then noticed the star necklace that Kriss was wearing. The star meant that she was a Northern Rebel. When the time comes for Maxon to make a decision between the two, he tells America first that she is the chosen one. The next day, Maxon tells Kriss, but after saying the bad news to her he turns around and finds, America's body leaning against Aspen and he takes the scene the wrong way. He gets furious at America and tells her that he will marry Kriss instead. On the day of the ceremony, a rebel attack occurred. Maxon got shot and started bleeding vigorously. He thought he was about to die so he told America that he actually loves her, and not Kriss. After the attack, Maxon and America's wounds got healed and the book ends with the start of their royal wedding.
I gave this book four and a half stars because, it had just the right amount of drama, action, and of course romance. It showcased the romantic journey between Maxon and Aspen (I'm on team Maxon though). The Selection is definitely one of my favorite book series and I wish that there would be more than five books total. The only thing I really hoped would be in "The One" was the royal wedding. The end of the book was only just the start of it, and it finishes like right before America walks down the isle. I was looking forward to reading about the whole entire wedding since the beginning of the book, so it was disappointing that the author didn't write about the whole event. Other than that, this book was really great and I'd probably read this series about three times before I actually get tired of it. ( )
  Hannahs.G1 | Jan 16, 2019 |
This review is full of spoilers.

This book was not as good as the first one, but much better than the second. I really liked that the back and forth between Aspen and Maxon came to an end pretty early on. As I've said in my review of The Elite, I was not a fan of the love triangle. I still found the love story plot a bit tired. Maxon was selfish and obnoxious dating 3 people at once, although I do know that is the basis for this series. The thing that got me though was the childish games that America and Maxon played with each other. Who cares who says I love you first? Page after page of back and forth monologues about how she loves him but can't or won't say it unless he says it first, and then the arguments over who should say it! For Heaven's sake just someone say it and be done with it!

As far as the political aspect, I thought it was amazing! I liked the way the northern rebels' story line played out and I absolutely loved the scenes with the Italians. This book had a feel that danger was right around the corner, but unlike the previous book, it felt important, and worth the risk.

I also really enjoyed seeing the family dynamic in the Singer household and was genuinely sad when the father died. I did not, however like the 180 Celeste's character pulled. I think she started out too extreme and had to come too far too fast to make it believable. I did like her after said unbelievable character change.

I think that the ending was rushed and a little bit of a cop out, but I saw it coming. Too much setup had been laid out for the Aspen reveal not to touch on it, and the king had to die to tie this up nicely. I didn't see the queen's death coming though, and was upset about that. I really liked her, she seemed like quite a lady.

If someone liked the first two books, I think that they would really enjoy this wrap up of the series. ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
Through all three books I knew that shoe was going to drop...both actually. The ending was a tad predictable and I was a little sad for it. I enjoyed the journey and by the end I did kind of want to smack the crap out of America, shake her, and tell her to get herself together.

I enjoyed the ride though and I'll happily read the next one. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Dec 1, 2018 |
Amazing! I have been waiting for this book and it didn't disappoint. I want more Kierra Cass. Please continue the story m ( )
  dms12880 | Nov 29, 2018 |
For Callaway, the boy who climbed into the tree house in my heart and let me be the crown on his.
This time we were in the Great Room enduring another etiquette lesson when bricks came flying through the window.

"As her Selection approaches its finish, America must decide where her heart truly lies--and Prince Maxon must pick one winner to wear the crown"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,449,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible