The Hunters by Chris Kuzneski

The Hunters (2013)

by Chris Kuzneski

I loved this book. Listened to it in audio format. Will be reading the rest of the series! ( )
  Emmie217 | Jun 27, 2018 |
The Hunters is the first in a series by Chris Kuzneski. The story revolves around a team of experts (military, burglary, computers, history, munitions) that are hired to recover the lost treasure of Romania.

During World War I, fearing a German victory, the Romanian government decided to transport all of its national wealth to Russia for safekeeping. In 1916, the treasure was loaded onto 2 trains and sent on its way to Russia. However, in the confusion of war and then the Russian revolution, the treasure was lost.

I had high hopes of finding another ensemble adventure series (similar to the Oregon Files) but found myself somewhat disappointed in this book. The story itself was interesting and there is potential with the team that has been established but the storytelling was lacking. There were several instances of “whoa, where did that come from?” when information would be introduced out of the blue. There were also gaps in the storyline where the reader had to connect the dots.

Rating: 3.5 Stars ( )
  bhabeck | Dec 24, 2016 |
THE TEAM:
Financed by a billionaire philanthropist, this elite team—a soldier, an historian, a computer whiz, a weapons expert, and a thief—is tasked with finding the world’s most legendary treasures.

THE MISSION:
Fearing a German victory in WWI, the Romanian government signed a deal with Russia to protect the country’s treasures. In 1916, two trains full of gold and the most precious possessions of the Romanian state—paintings, jewelry, and ancient artifacts—were sent to the underground vaults of the Kremlin. But in the turmoil of war, the Romanian treasure was scattered and lost.

THE PRIZE:
The collection is now valued at over $3.5 billion. Despite several attempts to find it, its location has remained a mystery…until now.

From The Book:
THE TEAM:

THE MISSION:

THE PRIZE:

My Thoughts:
In order for a the reader to have a visual in their minds of what is taking place on the page, the author needs to be able to provide enough dialog for this picture to form since there is no wide screen TV. This didn't happen in this book. Lots of action...almost too much if that is possible...but not enough interaction among the characters for the reader to get the "why" this was happening.

The "Team" was composed of a mix of personalities that had never worked together before. This is fine in the office but when you are planning to steal a treasure that more than one group of people are willing to kill you to keep....this is far from ideal. Of course these are strong minded stubborn types for the most part, with a computer nerd and a translator that the author was actually thinking we would buy that she learned to drive a train just from watching the old engineer...who was one of the best characters in the book by the way.

The book received the half-star because I read with a group where we took the book in sections and each person added there comments. Seeing the others perspective on the story let me see the story from a different angle. I really like this author and have read others of his books and enjoyed them immensely. I enjoyed this one more because of the group I read it with. Anyone who likes non-stop action thrillers combined with lots of history will love this book. ( )
  Carol420 | Dec 1, 2016 |
I must admit to being slightly disappointed in this book. Chris Kuzneski is one of my favourite authors and I simply adore the Payne and Jones Series. In comparison the dialogue felt a bit more stilted in this one, the characters not as likeable and there just felt a lack of flow and information in this book. Admittedly it was the first in the series so he had to introduce a lot of new characters and this possibly stopped the flow to a certain extent and that future books in the series will be much better! I will be persevering in the series because I do like him as an author, I do like the concept set up in this book and the link within the book to a character from the other series. I would most probably give it 3.75 stars but have rounded it up to 4 as I know what the author is capable of. The theme in this book was interesting and particularly the link to the Russian Revolution and Rasputin. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Nov 30, 2016 |
During World War I, when Germany was about the attack Romania, the Romanian government moved its entire treasure of gold, ancient relics, historical artifacts, and other rare objects, to Russia for safekeeping. I can't imagine what they were thinking at the time. After the war, Russia refuses to hand the treasure back. The Russians have lost it and don’t know where it is now. Our story begins in modern times when a billionaire puts together a team, The Hunters, to find the location of this treasure and retrieve it. The team members are the de facto leader, Jack Cobb; Josh McNutt, the weapons expert and a bit crazy; Sarah Ellis, a former CIA agent and thief; Hector Garcia, the technologically brilliant nerd; and Jasmine Park, the beautiful historian.

When they discover the location to be somewhere along an abandoned railway track in Transylvania, Cobb and his team embark on a train journey through some of the toughest regions of Russia and Romania. The Black Robes, a cult of followers of Rasputin, is also in search of the treasure and the Hunters need to find it before they do. Where is the treasure hidden? Who has hidden it there and why?

This book is filled with action and adventure, with twists that will remind the reader of Mission Impossible. It has both humor and history. Secret societies and nationalist organizations track the Hunters team in a massive treasure hunt. I enjoyed it for what it was, not a great work of literature, but a fun and interesting introduction to a new series. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |

The hunters, a team of renegades (an ex-military leader, a historian, a computer whiz, a weapons expert and a thief), financed by a billionaire philanthropist, are tasked with finding the world's most legendary treasures. The mission: recover a vast Romanian treasure that was stolen by the Russians nearly a century ago.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,817,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible