The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight: Waking…

The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight: Waking Up to Personal and Global… (1998)

by Thom Hartmann

Other authors: Joseph Chilton Pearce (Foreword)

Frightening - all the more so since Hartmann's thesis and supporting arguments merely reinforce my own long-held convictions that our Western Civilisation is both corrupt and doomed to end catastrophically. ( )
  RhydTybyans | Apr 27, 2013 |
This is easily my favorite non-fiction book, and I look forward to reading the update. One of my students insisted that I read it, and even handed me his Dad's copy. I will be sure to have my students read parts of it as we learn about Environmental Science next year. Well done, Mr. Hartmann.
  labratmd73 | Mar 5, 2013 |
Important book to read in order to understand the science behind global warming. Thought that the ending was a little preachy and do not necessarily agree with author's perspective for the solution. All and all, I think it was interesting and I'd recommend it. ( )
  blondestranger | Dec 5, 2007 |
A good basic book on the perils we all face with the depletion of our precious hydrocarbon energy supply. Mr. Hartmann does a good job of explaining the problem and does try to propose a solution but his solutions seem a little light weight for such a heavy problem. ( )
  pamur | Nov 6, 2007 |
A book that ought to become part of every persons library, be in every school. Perhaps if people read and listen to the wisdom held within its pages we may find that the planet and humanity have a chance in preserving what is not yet quite destroyed. ( )
  LadyBlossom | Oct 3, 2007 |

Thom Hartmannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pearce, Joseph ChiltonForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0609805290, Paperback)

Ecology and spirituality are deftly intertwined in this well-written discussion of how we can save and preserve life on earth. Vermont author Thom Hartman offers a highly persuasive argument for adopting the spiritual values of our ancient ancestors, which means living with a strong connection to the earth as well as the sun that nourishes us all. Nowadays, humans often perceive themselves as separate from nature and born to dominate it, says Hartman who lays out some frightening, albeit thorough, research on the destruction of the planet. But as the book progresses, he guides readers into a convincing and intelligent vision for reversing our destructive ways.

Mostly, we could all use an attitude adjustment. For example, he explains how native and tribal cultures often considered all forms of life to be as sacred as human life--an attitude that may be one of our best shots at planetary longevity. Hartman devotes his final section to "What the Average Person Can Do," including chapters titled, "Turn Off the TV," "The Modern-Day Tribe: Intentional Community," and "Reinventing Our Daily Lives and Rituals." --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:22 -0400)

"While everything appears to be collapsing around us - ecodamage, genetic engineering, virulent diseases, the end of cheap oil, water shortages, global famine, wars - we can still do something about it and create a world that will work for us and for our children's children. The inspiration for Leonardo DiCaprio's web movie Global Warning, The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight details what is happening to our planet, the reasons for our culture's blind behavior, and how we can fix the problem. Thom Hartmann's book, originally published in 1998, has become one of the fundamental handbooks of the environmental activist movement. Now, with updated material and a focus on political activism and its effect on corporate behavior, The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight helps us understand - and heal - our relationship to the world, to each other, and to our natural resources."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,610,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible