The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert…

The Cuckoo's Calling (2013)

by Robert Galbraith

Series: Cormoran Strike (1)

Case Histories: A Novel by Kate Atkinson (keywestnan, debbiereads)
    keywestnan: I listed Case Histories but I'm really recommending the entire Jackson Brodie series by Kate Atkinson. They are excellently written private eye novels that are especially excellent when it comes to character.
    The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: The two detectives have a key trait in common: dogged pursuit of the truth and the truth has many twists along the way.
    The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (Eowyn1)
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (Moehrendorf)
    The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (kinsey_m)
    kinsey_m: Rowling's other (and better) adult book
    The Guilty One by Lisa Ballantyne (aliklein)

English (429)  Italian (5)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (446)
This book was okay - I found nothing particularly good or bad about the story (although I could have done without so much superfluous profanity - if that is what some reviewers call gritty - I disagree). I had figured out who had done it before putting all the pieces of how the killer had done it into place. The killer's method was somewhat clever, although the clues were revealed in a very disjointed fashion. Perhaps I would have rated it higher if the suspense had lasted longer. ( )
  Brauer11431 | Apr 16, 2019 |
Cormoran Strike - raised unconventionally by his single, sometimes coupled, mother, and various relatives, veteran of war in Afghanistan, and amputee, has hit an all-time low. Recently broken up with his fiancee, he is in debt, his private defective business is faltering, and he is homeless, sleeping on a camp bed in his office. Enter Robin, an ambitious temporary secretary, and John Bristow, a real, paying client who is looking for the truth behind his sister's unexpected suicide.

This is the setting of Cuckoo's Calling, an enjoyable mystery with interesting characters. Like many mysteries, certain facts and suspicions are not shared with the reader.

Cormoran and Robin are likable and i look forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  sbecon | Apr 6, 2019 |
Honestly, I was disappointed. I had hoped it would be faster paced and hard to put down. I nearly bailed at several points. I'm not sorry that I finished it, as I did enjoy the solution. There were some twists I didn't see coming and I did not solve the whodunnit myself, which is always good. It just dragged.

I liked Cormoran and Robin a lot. They are interesting characters and they made a great team, once they got past the whole "let's ignore the elephant in the room" of Cormoran living in the office. That schtick got old fast and I was glad when they finally got past it. I'll probably read the rest of the series, but I won't be in a rush to do so. ( )
1 vote DGRachel | Apr 2, 2019 |
4 Stars.
A huge Harry Potter fan I was not disappointed by J.K Rowling's well written crime debut penned under the name of Robert Galbraith. Though to begin with I must confess that I was quite perturbed by the slow pace of the novel in the opening chapters. Nevertheless this didn't put me off. I read on and I am so glad that I did. The novel picks up pace as Strike's shattered confidence grows. I wonder if this is an intentional device? J K Rowling's amazing gift of story telling is evident in her engaging plot, colourful characters and eye for detail. They are striking!

The main character, Cormoran Strike, an ex soldier, wounded in combat, has been invalided out of the army. Missing the camaraderie of the armed forces he appears to be a little lost. He sets up as a private detective. The pace of the novel is slow in the initial chapters mirroring his struggle to make ends meet. He has few paying customers, and is beset by financial difficulties, and death threats. An unhappy love affair has resulted in him sleeping in his own office. A new temporary secretary, Robin Ellacott, appears just when he feels he can least afford her. Initially Robin comes across as this empty headed girl obsessed with her recent engagement to her accountant fiancé. But Robin's character doesn't disappoint. Her kind nature, obvious excitement and involvement in the case, all endear the reader to her.

Strike is investigating the mysterious circumstance surrounding the death of the famous supermodel Lulu Landry. It is not clear whether she fell from the plush balcony of her London home or if she was pushed. Lula Landry's adopted brother approaches Strike asking him to take on the case. He seems certain that his sister did not jump. To begin with Strike is reluctant to take on the case as the police have clearly stated a suicide verdict. As Strike sets out to investigate, we can't help but be impressed by his attention to detail and his ability to extract information. The pace of the novel quickens as does our excitement reading it, right up to the stunning conclusion. J.K. Rowling's wonderful array of characters are portrayed with humour, depth, and believability.

marjorie.mallon | Mar 27, 2019 |
Aside from annoyingly vulgar language at times, this was a thoroughly intriguing mystery. ( )
  melissa_faith | Mar 16, 2019 |
Ublodig, men ikkje blodfattig
Når Harry Potter-forfattar J.K. Rowling går til krimmen, satsar ho meir på person- og miljøskildring enn på å dikte opp utspekulerte drapsmetodar. Det er heilt ok.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Marta Norheim (Feb 24, 2014)

In “The Cuckoo’s Calling” Ms. Rowling — er, Mr. Galbraith — seems to have similarly studied the detective story genre and turned its assorted conventions into something that, if not exactly original, nonetheless showcases her satiric eye (most in evidence in the Potter books in her portraits of the bureaucrats and blowhards associated with the Ministry of Magic) and her instinctive storytelling talents.

The Cuckoo’s Calling and Harry Potter both feature dead or absent parents, adoptees, and family intrigue. They both imagine highly complex worlds that are nonetheless knowable—if you study their laws closely—and amusing, and beautiful, and dangerous. If I’m honest, though, I liked Galbraith just a bit better than late Rowling. (The first four Harry Potter books still reign supreme.) While both writers are funny, suspenseful, and sharp about race and class, he seems under less pressure to take himself and his story seriously. I wonder why.
added by zhejw | editSlate, Katy Waldman (Jul 16, 2013)

There is no sign whatsoever that this is Galbraith’s first novel, only that he has a delightful touch, both for evoking London and for capturing a new hero. It is an auspicious debut.
added by zhejw | editThe Mail, Geoffrey Wansell (May 2, 2013)

Galbraith, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caball, JosefinaTranslator/Traductorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Casella, AlessandraTranslator/Traduttoresecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daly, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Divjak, DarjaTranslator/Prevajalecsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dorph Stjernfelt, AgneteTranslator/Oversættersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Göhler, ChristophTranslator/Übersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gralak, AnnaTranslator/Tłumaczsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grinde, HeidiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hjukström, CharlotteTranslator/Översättaresecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holland, JoelCalligraphersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosso, FrançoisTranslator/Traducteursecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarinen, EeroTranslator/Kääntäjäsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wunder, DietmarReader/Erzählersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
רולינג, ג'. קsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Why were you born when the snow was falling?
You should have come to the cuckoo's calling,
Or when grapes are green in the cluster,
Or, at least, when lithe swallows muster
      For their far off flying
      From summer dying.

Why did you die when the lambs were cropping?
You should have died at the apples' dropping,
When the grasshopper comes to trouble,
And the wheat-fields are sodden stubble,
      And all winds go sighing
      For sweet things dying.

Christina G. Rossetti, "A Dirge"
To the real Deeby with many thanks
The buzz in the street was like the humming of flies.
The dead could only speak through the mouths of those left behind, and through the signs they left scattered behind them.
The white-painted boutique stood on some of the most expensive acreage in London... To Strike, its colorful windows displayed a multitudinous mess of life's unnecessities. ... a gaudy celebration of consumerism he found irritating to retina and spirit. (page 184-5)
Originally published: London: Sphere, 2013.

When a troubled model falls to her death from a snow-covered Mayfair balcony, it is assumed that she has committed suicide. However, her brother has his doubts, and calls in private investigator Cormoran Strike to look into the case.

Strike is a war veteran - wounded both physically and psychologically - and his life is in disarray. The case gives him a financial lifeline, but it comes at a personal cost: the more he delves into the young model's complex world, the darker things get and the closer he gets to terrible danger...
Cormoran Strike is
asked to investigate a
suicide – was it?
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316206849, Hardcover)

A brilliant debut mystery in a classic vein: Detective Cormoran Strike investigates a supermodel's suicide.

You may think you know detectives, but you've never met one quite like Strike. You may think you know about the wealthy and famous, but you've never seen them under an investigation like this.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:26 -0400)

"After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office. Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, thelegendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man."--Dust jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,112,261 books! | Top bar: Always visible