The Cuckoo's Calling (A Cormoran Strike…

The Cuckoo's Calling (A Cormoran Strike Novel) (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Robert Galbraith (Author)

Member:Gingermama
Title:The Cuckoo's Calling (A Cormoran Strike Novel)
Authors:Robert Galbraith (Author)
Info:Mulholland Books (2013), 464 pages
Tags:mystery, england

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (2013)

Case Histories: A Novel by Kate Atkinson (keywestnan, debbiereads)
    keywestnan: I listed Case Histories but I'm really recommending the entire Jackson Brodie series by Kate Atkinson. They are excellently written private eye novels that are especially excellent when it comes to character.
    The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: The two detectives have a key trait in common: dogged pursuit of the truth and the truth has many twists along the way.
    The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (Eowyn1)
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (Moehrendorf)
    The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (kinsey_m)
    kinsey_m: Rowling's other (and better) adult book
    The Guilty One by Lisa Ballantyne (aliklein)

English (427)  Italian (5)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (444)
Aside from annoyingly vulgar language at times, this was a thoroughly intriguing mystery. ( )
  melissa_faith | Mar 16, 2019 |
Much more focused on character than plot, I'm not sure how much I would have cared about this had it not been for its famous author. There're a bunch of plotholes and the ending is silly... and yet, Ms Rowling has built enough good will with me to keep me reading. The next one will be the important one. It will depend whether she rehashes old ground or really takes these characters somewhere interesting. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Cormoran Strike is a British private eye with an interesting past: son of a "supergroupie" and a famous English rocker, Oxford U. dropout, Iraq/Afghanistan War vet with a leg missing thanks to an IED, some serious financial debts, and no clients. Much to his relief, John Bristow walks into Strike's office and offers Strike double pay to find the killer of Bristow's sister, a famous and very wealthy supermodel with the nickname Cuckoo.
I read a lot of mysteries. I don't make a special effort to figure out who committed the crime. It's all about the read for me not solving the crime. That said, there are several interesting things about The Cuckoo's Calling. First, watching Strike go through the laborious and exacting details of working out how a crime was committed and who did it in order to determine the truth is probably more accurate about how detectives actually work than fast car chases and shoot-em-ups. I find this interesting because I knew I was getting all the clues I needed, and yet it wasn't until pretty close to the end that I could guess who had committed the crime and how.
Second, Strike hires a temp to work in his office who turns out to be the Nora to his Nick. It's always fun to see a young woman discover what she really loves and is really good at doing. I see a conflict coming with Robin's fiance Matthew unless he wises up and realizes that she has a calling for the detective's life. She'll need his support...or else they'll have to part company.

Less interesting was all the details about the lives of the rich and famous, the fashionistas, the druggies, etc. Also I do wish London, a city I love, would have been more of a character in this story. This could have taken place in any nameless urban area when it could have made use of a fascinating place as part of the story.
I checked this e-book out of the library and did not know until the last page that Robert Galbraith is a pseudonym for a very well-know author. When I found who wrote the book, I had to laugh. There's not a wizard in sight in this classic private detective who-done-it. I'll definitely read the next installment in the Strike series. ( )
  C.J.Shane | Feb 26, 2019 |
I enjoyed the book. ( )
  yhgail | Feb 20, 2019 |
This took forever to read for me as there were some real peaks and valleys in action. Overall I enjoyed it but would have liked a little more action. Also, the names drove me crazy. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
Ublodig, men ikkje blodfattig
Når Harry Potter-forfattar J.K. Rowling går til krimmen, satsar ho meir på person- og miljøskildring enn på å dikte opp utspekulerte drapsmetodar. Det er heilt ok.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Marta Norheim (Feb 24, 2014)

In “The Cuckoo’s Calling” Ms. Rowling — er, Mr. Galbraith — seems to have similarly studied the detective story genre and turned its assorted conventions into something that, if not exactly original, nonetheless showcases her satiric eye (most in evidence in the Potter books in her portraits of the bureaucrats and blowhards associated with the Ministry of Magic) and her instinctive storytelling talents.

The Cuckoo’s Calling and Harry Potter both feature dead or absent parents, adoptees, and family intrigue. They both imagine highly complex worlds that are nonetheless knowable—if you study their laws closely—and amusing, and beautiful, and dangerous. If I’m honest, though, I liked Galbraith just a bit better than late Rowling. (The first four Harry Potter books still reign supreme.) While both writers are funny, suspenseful, and sharp about race and class, he seems under less pressure to take himself and his story seriously. I wonder why.
added by zhejw | editSlate, Katy Waldman (Jul 16, 2013)

There is no sign whatsoever that this is Galbraith’s first novel, only that he has a delightful touch, both for evoking London and for capturing a new hero. It is an auspicious debut.
added by zhejw | editThe Mail, Geoffrey Wansell (May 2, 2013)

Galbraith, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caball, JosefinaTranslator/Traductorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Casella, AlessandraTranslator/Traduttoresecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daly, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Divjak, DarjaTranslator/Prevajalecsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dorph Stjernfelt, AgneteTranslator/Oversættersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Göhler, ChristophTranslator/Übersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gralak, AnnaTranslator/Tłumaczsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grinde, HeidiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hjukström, CharlotteTranslator/Översättaresecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holland, JoelCalligraphersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosso, FrançoisTranslator/Traducteursecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarinen, EeroTranslator/Kääntäjäsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wunder, DietmarReader/Erzählersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
רולינג, ג'. קsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Why were you born when the snow was falling?
You should have come to the cuckoo's calling,
Or when grapes are green in the cluster,
Or, at least, when lithe swallows muster
      For their far off flying
      From summer dying.

Why did you die when the lambs were cropping?
You should have died at the apples' dropping,
When the grasshopper comes to trouble,
And the wheat-fields are sodden stubble,
      And all winds go sighing
      For sweet things dying.

Christina G. Rossetti, "A Dirge"
To the real Deeby with many thanks
The buzz in the street was like the humming of flies.
The dead could only speak through the mouths of those left behind, and through the signs they left scattered behind them.
The white-painted boutique stood on some of the most expensive acreage in London... To Strike, its colorful windows displayed a multitudinous mess of life's unnecessities. ... a gaudy celebration of consumerism he found irritating to retina and spirit. (page 184-5)
Originally published: London: Sphere, 2013.

When a troubled model falls to her death from a snow-covered Mayfair balcony, it is assumed that she has committed suicide. However, her brother has his doubts, and calls in private investigator Cormoran Strike to look into the case.

Strike is a war veteran - wounded both physically and psychologically - and his life is in disarray. The case gives him a financial lifeline, but it comes at a personal cost: the more he delves into the young model's complex world, the darker things get and the closer he gets to terrible danger...
Cormoran Strike is
asked to investigate a
suicide – was it?
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316206849, Hardcover)

A brilliant debut mystery in a classic vein: Detective Cormoran Strike investigates a supermodel's suicide.

You may think you know detectives, but you've never met one quite like Strike. You may think you know about the wealthy and famous, but you've never seen them under an investigation like this.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:26 -0400)

"After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office. Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, thelegendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man."--Dust jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,422,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible