The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

The Cuckoo's Calling (original 2013; edition 2014)

by Robert Galbraith (Author)

Series: Cormoran Strike (1)

"After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office. Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: his sister, the legendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)
Member:LondonLori76
Title:The Cuckoo's Calling
Authors:Robert Galbraith (Author)
Info:Sphere (2014), Edition: 01, 560 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Read 2017

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (2013)

Recently added byprivate library, cainhurst, Arina40, MenloPark, michaelm42071, leabooks, fasterik, ypellegrino
    Case Histories by Kate Atkinson (keywestnan, debbiereads)
    keywestnan: I listed Case Histories but I'm really recommending the entire Jackson Brodie series by Kate Atkinson. They are excellently written private eye novels that are especially excellent when it comes to character.
    The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: The two detectives have a key trait in common: dogged pursuit of the truth and the truth has many twists along the way.
    The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (Eowyn1)
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (Moehrendorf)
    The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (kinsey_m)
    kinsey_m: Rowling's other (and better) adult book
    The Guilty One by Lisa Ballantyne (aliklein)

English (481)  Italian (6)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (500)
So we read this book for our book club, and I was thoroughly impressed in all honesty. I love love love JK Rowling, and like so many I am a huge Potterhead (I have the Deathly Hallows tattooed on my ankle) but I was slightly nervous for this book. I'd heard amazing things, but I found that with "The Casual Vacancy" Rowling was trying really really hard to separate herself from HP and make it known that it was an adult novel. This one, it was pretty obvious that she wasn't trying as hard.

The book itself took me a bit to get into, and maybe it's because I am so used to the way Rowling wrote Harry Potter that I was ready for that instant grab but I didn't get that until maybe about half way through. To be honest, it might not have helped that I was switching between the book and the e-book but either way.

I really did love this book, and I bought "The Silkworm" the other day, and I'm hoping that my book club picks it up soon because I'm seriously itching to read it.

The Reading Picnic | Leafmarks | Twitter ( )
  rachelreading | Oct 17, 2020 |
Having read a few awful crime fiction books recently, I was so glad to read a book that restored my faith in the genre; fleshed-out characters, good prose and humour made for an interesting read. It was gripping and well researched. I've already started the next book in the series. ( )
  martensgirl | Sep 26, 2020 |
The Cuckoo's Calling JK Rowling and Cliff Richard.I never read the HP books so I came to her as a reader late in the piece. I read the Casual Vacancy and enjoyed it. Would I have read it if it hadn't be written by her? I don't know, the next book is always a serendipitous affair. This one is different.I tend to think of JK Rowling along with Cliff Richard. For those that don't know Cliff is an aged UK pop star, the nearest we have to a zombie that is loved by all grandmas everywhere. Poor Cliff has been typecast for most of his career as a "nice boy" even though he is now 147 years old. Sometimes described as "a sexless Christian prude with a colostomy bag". Tired of all that putting down and inuendo that his records were hits because they were by Cliff Richard, not because they were good in their own right. So cunning old Cliff came up with a plan or two. He recorded and released under different names. Then when those records were going up the charts it would slip out that it was in reality by Cliff himself. Though I suspect that the ones that went nowhere were never claimed by our Cliff. No. But it did prove that Cliff was a "real rocker".Which brings us to the Cuckoo's Calling. As an inveterate reader of detective novels I could not be more pleased when I heard that Cliff herself has penned one. And it is bloody good, it ticks all the boxes without any staleness anywhere. The whole genre is a cliche so it takes a real artist to produce a readable novel out of this much thrashed framework. This book is excellent, the characters work, the dialogue is brilliant and the story is told at a pace that keeps you in there holding on. I cannot say enough good things and dearly want to see another Cormoran Strike novel.Stephen King wrote under a pseudonym as did Anne, Emily and Charlotte Bronte, Charles Dickens, Ruth Rendell, CS Lewis, Agatha Christie and so on.If The Cuckoo's Calling was a pop song it would be way up the charts by now. ( )
  Ken-Me-Old-Mate | Sep 24, 2020 |
Bored. The characters were interesting enough, but the novel was essentially a series of interviews until the last few pages; no action. ( )
  kohrmanmj | Sep 21, 2020 |
I ask myself whether I think this novel is tainted by the author's experience writing for young people and I can't be sure of my answer. There are aspects of it that say YA to me, but haven't I also seen those aspects in adult novels before?

The protagonist is Cormoran Strike, a failing private detective. The name...I had some difficulty with it. Cormoran is a bit close to cormorant, so it almost seems like birdshit. But I did get over that. Strike is in a bad way after leaving his girlfriend, in whose house he had been living.

Into Strike's life comes, first, Robin Ellacott, a temp worker who has just become engaged. The glow of the ring is still on her face when she shows up in Strike's office, ready to work. Strike thought he had ended his contract with the temp agency but apparently not. Even as he realizes that he does not have the money to pay her, he lets her in and shows her the receptionist desk.

Then in comes John Bristow. Bristow's sister, Lulu Landry, a wealthy supermodel, had apparently jumped from her balcony three months before. Bristow wants Strike to find her killer, saying he does not believe it was suicide. Why Strike, you ask? The two have a history that goes back to their youth.

Strike, and increasingly Robin too, runs down witnesses and follows clues. The cloud of bankruptcy was lifted when he received a substantial retainer from Bristow, so he can concentrate on Landry's death. Except that he is hampered a bit by his living conditions. Living somewhat stealthily in his office, Strike doesn't always present the image of impeccable grooming and personal care. Robin notices but has enough discretion not to mention it.

Does Strike find his man - if it is a man and if it is a murder? Wait and see. Does he get over his heartbreak? Does he bond with his idealistic temp?

It's a sweet story, in a way. I was never in doubt about Strike's fundamental goodness. It is satisfying in that way, in the way that most Young Adult novels are, in fact. We know where we are. At times I favor the complexity of a character who has more flaws, but that's not to say Strike is without flaws. Only that they are more endearing than some others'. I will likely buy other Cormoran Strike novels, knowing what I am getting into. A good puzzle with good-hearted characters. Except the villains, of course. ( )
  slojudy | Sep 8, 2020 |
Ublodig, men ikkje blodfattig
Når Harry Potter-forfattar J.K. Rowling går til krimmen, satsar ho meir på person- og miljøskildring enn på å dikte opp utspekulerte drapsmetodar. Det er heilt ok.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Marta Norheim (Feb 24, 2014)

In “The Cuckoo’s Calling” Ms. Rowling — er, Mr. Galbraith — seems to have similarly studied the detective story genre and turned its assorted conventions into something that, if not exactly original, nonetheless showcases her satiric eye (most in evidence in the Potter books in her portraits of the bureaucrats and blowhards associated with the Ministry of Magic) and her instinctive storytelling talents.

The Cuckoo’s Calling and Harry Potter both feature dead or absent parents, adoptees, and family intrigue. They both imagine highly complex worlds that are nonetheless knowable—if you study their laws closely—and amusing, and beautiful, and dangerous. If I’m honest, though, I liked Galbraith just a bit better than late Rowling. (The first four Harry Potter books still reign supreme.) While both writers are funny, suspenseful, and sharp about race and class, he seems under less pressure to take himself and his story seriously. I wonder why.
added by zhejw | editSlate, Katy Waldman (Jul 16, 2013)

There is no sign whatsoever that this is Galbraith’s first novel, only that he has a delightful touch, both for evoking London and for capturing a new hero. It is an auspicious debut.
added by zhejw | editThe Mail, Geoffrey Wansell (May 2, 2013)

Galbraith, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ragusa, AngelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosso, FrançoisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarinen, EeroNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torre, Jesús de laTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, SianCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wunder, DietmarNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
רולינג, ג'. קsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Why were you born when the snow was falling?
You should have come to the cuckoo's calling,
Or when grapes are green in the cluster,
Or, at least, when lithe swallows muster
      For their far off flying
      From summer dying.

Why did you die when the lambs were cropping?
You should have died at the apples' dropping,
When the grasshopper comes to trouble,
And the wheat-fields are sodden stubble,
      And all winds go sighing
      For sweet things dying.

Christina G. Rossetti, "A Dirge"
To the real Deeby with many thanks
The buzz in the street was like the humming of flies.
The dead could only speak through the mouths of those left behind, and through the signs they left scattered behind them.
The white-painted boutique stood on some of the most expensive acreage in London... To Strike, its colorful windows displayed a multitudinous mess of life's unnecessities. ... a gaudy celebration of consumerism he found irritating to retina and spirit. (page 184-5)
Originally published: London: Sphere, 2013.

Cormoran Strike is
asked to investigate a
suicide – was it?
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,411,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible