Secretive (On The Run Book #2) by Sara…

Secretive (On The Run Book #2) (edition 2013)

by Sara Rosett

Member:SaraRosett
Title:Secretive (On The Run Book #2)
Authors:Sara Rosett
Info:

Secretive by Sara Rosett

After having been on the run with her handsome ex-husband Jack, who is now presumed dead by the FBI, Zoe has returned to her mundane life of proof-reading travel books and real estate management. Back to the house she now lives in alone since Jack is no longer occupying the upstairs and back to the suspicions of the FBI that she has somehow pulled a fast one with the money that had disappeared from Jack’s company. She knows she's almost broke but the FBI likes her for the theft of the twelve million dollars. Everything seemed to be getting back to normal when she finds herself being spied on by a man in a silver car. When a couple of thugs in a van try to kidnap her, she knows things are heating up again. A rare visit from her mom provides the final puzzle piece that gets her back into action.

Zoe travels to exciting destinations, meets exciting characters and reunites with old friends from her first European adventure. There are twists, there are daring escapes, there is a little romance. This is a fast-paced series that is just fun to read but I definitely would begin with the first of the series, Elusive, which I reviewed here.

It’s so easy for me to relate to Zoe, not in how her life is, but in how she wants her life to be. This is an easy read that makes me happy in the same way an icy cold glass of Dr. Pepper makes me happy.

I received this book from the author through Librarything in exchange for my honest review which I have given. ( )
  Mrsbaty | Jan 15, 2014 |
The sequel to Elusive continues with another exciting mystery leading to Europe. Vividly described locales filled with intrigue make this an enjoyable read. ( )
  poetreegirl | Nov 6, 2013 |

Zoe travels to exciting destinations, meets exciting characters and reunites with old friends from her first European adventure. There are twists, there are daring escapes, there is a little romance. This is a fast-paced series that is just fun to read but I definitely would begin with the first of the series, Elusive.

Mrsbaty | Oct 17, 2013 |
I would like to acknowledge that I received an e-copy of this book from the author via LibraryThing in return for an honest review. I personally rely on reviews of books before trying them and so my reviews are genuine.

This was the second book in the series and I have not read the first however this was not a problem as any relevant info from the first book was recounted for clarity.

This was an easy read with short chapters so great for reading in the sun. The main characters Zoe and Jack have a sense of humour even when in danger which is what made it compelling reading for me so that I wanted to carry on reading it whenever I had a chance.

The ending left the story open for the next installment which will hopefully be as good to read as this was. ( )
  Natalie_Fallon | Jul 17, 2013 |
Secretive by Sara Rosett is the second book in the 'On the Run' series.

The first book in the series is 'Elusive' and I'll link my review of it here:

There will be spoilers from the first book in this review. If you don't want to know what happens it that one, stop here. Spoilers of Elusive beyond here.

Secretive starts off six months after the events of the last book. Zoe's life has mostly returned to normal, though there has been no contact from Jack since the letter in the last book. The FBI and everyone else believes he's dead, but Zoe knows otherwise. She just wishes she knew a little more. For now, there's her copy-editing job and a hole in the ceiling to occupy her.

That is until she notices a strange, silver car tailing her and watching her house. Her mind goes on red alert. Her life on the LAM may have ended six months ago, but it seems like only yesterday she was running for her life. When she manages to lose the mysterious car, she believes she's safe. Until an unmarked, white van shows up when she's out for a jog, and the occupants come after her.

At the same time, the FBI are interested in her once more, as the money from the frozen GRS account has gone missing again. Feeling increasingly unsettled, she decides to act when a package arrives with her missing wedding ring, and a string of numbers in it, and a postmark from London. It has to be Jack. She needs to lay low anyway, why not visit London?

Maxing out all her cards, she picks up and leaves, with a brief message to Helen, so her best friend doesn't worry. At the airport, ready to leave, she runs into Sam- a man who rents one of the office spaces left vacant after the GRS affair. He has business in London and happens to be on the same flight, but the events in Italy have made her wary and cautious. How much does she want to tell him? Who can she trust? Is it just a coincidence?

Meanwhile, Victor Costa (a man who used to be part of Camorra- the Naples mafia, and Francesca's husband) has a plan. He's been searching for Jack all these months, but it seems the American really is dead. With his scapegoat out of the picture, it's time to find another. His ex-wife will do.

The plot of this book is very similar to the first, just against a different backdrop. Instead of Vegas and Italy, we have London and Germany. This book is not quite as fast-paced as the first, but it still does its job. I must also commend the author for her ability to end every chapter on a cliffhanger- forcing me to read the next one.

For those who didn't read the first book, or those who's memory of it is a little foggy, there is some recapping of the events from Elusive, making this a stand-alone book as well, though things will be less confusing if you read the first book. Mort and Sato also return in this book, though they're not quite as prevalent in this one. Mort is a couple weeks of from retirement, so I'm wondering who'll partner Sato in the new book.

As you may have realised, Victor Costa is in this book. The mysterious man surrounding Francesca from the first book, makes his first appearance. This story carries on the GRS plot from the first. Nothing was tied up, Jack is still a wanted man and nobody knows who the scammer was.

The ending of this book finally brings it all together in a neat, little bow, and even manages to set up the plot of the next book (at least I think that's what it is) Deceptive- which will be out Fall 2013 according to the author herself. It's heavily implied that Zoe will again come under suspicion and I wonder how many times she can be incriminated before everyone gets fed up, characters and readers alike. For now, it's still as enjoyable as it was in Elusive.

Speaking of, the characters are much the same merry band from the first, with a different bad guy plus henchman. If you liked them in Elusive, you'll like them here. Same goes for the plot. Like I said, basically same plot, different settings.

An enjoyable, fun read, with likeable characters and a little sightseeing mixed in. I will be checking out the next instalment once it's released.

Disclaimer: I received this book from the author. This is not a sponsored review. All opinions are 100% my own. ( )
  needtoreadgottowatch | Jul 4, 2013 |

Zoe Hunter thought all the questions surrounding her ex’s mysterious past had been answered. She couldn’t have been more wrong.
Free-spirited Zoe lives an unconventional life. She tried the nine-to-five office routine, but it was like the death of a thousand cuts—paper cuts, that is. But still, she couldn’t take it and vowed to make a living outside a cubicle. Now she’s a “Jill of All Trades,” taking on freelance copy-editing, property management, and even dog walking gigs. Sure, it’s a little insecure, but Zoe isn’t exactly what you’d call cautious.
Normally, she loves surprises and the unknown, except when it comes in the form of a mysterious package, visits from the FBI, and thugs showing up on her jogging route. Zoe isn’t sure who she’s more afraid of, the FBI or the thugs, so she makes a snap decision and skips town to follow the clues in the package, which takes her to London, where she suspects she’ll find her ex, Jack.
The authorities think he’s dead, but Zoe doesn’t agree. Can she find her elusive ex? And what about her new tenet with the shy smile and sexy stubble? Why does he keep popping up in her life? Zoe will have to use her rather eccentric skill set to answer those questions, all the while dodging someone who wants to make this trip abroad her last.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Sara Rosett's book Secretive was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Sara Rosett is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,861,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible