The Wished-For Country: Stories of American…

The Wished-For Country: Stories of American Courage (2013)

by Rebecca Del Giudice

2None3,847,850NoneNone
Recently added bydwhodges01, rebeccadel

No reviews
Dedicated to all the unsung heroes out there
"I HAVE SWORN ETERNAL OPPOSITION TO SLAVERY, AND BY THE BLESSING OF GOD I WILL NEVER TURN BACK"
"IF SOCIETY WILL NOT ADMIT OF WOMAN’S FREE DEVELOPMENT, THEN SOCIETY MUST BE REMODELED"
"IN GOD’S WILDNESS IS THE HOPE OF THE WORLD"
"ALL THEY NEED IS AN EQUAL CHANCE IN THE BATTLE OF LIFE"
"I HAVE READ YOUR BOOK, AND I HAVE COME TO HELP – SIGNED, THEODORE ROOSEVELT"
"THE WAY TO RIGHT WRONGS IS TO TURN THE LIGHT OF TRUTH UPON THEM"
"I CAME TO WASHINGTON TO WORK FOR GOD, FDR, AND THE MILLIONS OF FORGOTTEN, PLAIN COMMON WORKINGMEN"
"EVERYTHING I DID IN MY LIFE THAT WAS WORTHWHILE, I CAUGHT HELL FOR"
"HISTORY WILL RECORD THAT SENATOR GRUENING AND I VOTED IN THE INTEREST  OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE THIS MORNING WHEN WE VOTED AGAINST THIS RESOLUTION"
"IT’S THE WOMEN WHO HAVE LED"
"THE REAL THREAT[S] ARE THE UNROBED KLAN IN THE HALLS OF GOVERNMENT"
"ON THE 10TH OF SEPTEMBER 1962, 16 BULLETS [WERE] FIRED INTO THE HOME OF MR. AND MRS. ROBERT TUCKER – FOR ME"
"I AM AND ALWAYS WILL BE A CATALYST FOR CHANGE"
"IF A BULLET SHOULD ENTER MY BRAIN, LET THAT BULLET DESTROY EVERY CLOSET DOOR"

A Senator stands alone against the march to war. A man risks his life to expose the Ku Klux Klan. A slave escapes to freedom – and takes a Confederate warship with him.

These stories and many more like them are the focus of The Wished-For Country: Stories of American Courage.

Author Rebecca Del Giudice has been researching and writing about American history for more than 20 years. During that time, she’s rediscovered unique stories that few Americans know or remember today. There's the first woman doctor in the United States who was only admitted to medical school because her classmates thought it was a joke – but the joke was on them when she graduated first in her class. The Danish immigrant who enlisted a future president in his fight against poverty in the slums of New York. And the child of sharecroppers who awakened the conscience of a nation.

These are just a few of the 14 amazing people profiled in The Wished-For Country: Stories of American Courage.

Read it now and get to know these incredible Americans.

Includes profiles of: Elijah Parish Lovejoy; Elizabeth Blackwell; John Muir; Robert Smalls; Jacob Riis; Ida B. Wells-Barnett; Frances Perkins; Earl Warren; Wayne Morse; Emma Tenayuca; Stetson Kennedy; Fannie Lou Hamer; Shirley Chisholm; Harvey Milk

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,802,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible