Contaminated by Em Garner

Contaminated

by Em Garner

Ok so I keep trying to read this book and I just can't do it. I love zombies and the whole apocalypse story lines..Just cannot hold my attention with this book. I may give it another go later on but for now..kinda blech. ( )
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have always been a big fan of the supernatural genre, zombies included. Contaminated is a great addition. It isn't your typical zombie apocalypse but what happens after, how life goes on, and how people deal with the aftermath. This book has practically every thing you could want: action, heart, zombies. I highly recommend reading it - you won't be disappointed!
  HildebrandFamily | Jun 20, 2014 |
Contaminated had a new approach to the zombie novel. Rather than taking place during the outbreak it takes place several years after the fact. So the chaotic feel is not as much there​ - which some people definitely might miss if that is what they are expecting/wanting. ​

The written cues to bring up images/scents are really well done!
The corridors stink like disinfectant. It's a harsh, burning smell that hurts the inside of my nose, but it's better than the reek that wafts up from underneath the odor of cleanser. That smell's something raw and meaty and moist, something sick. Like dirty wounds. Blood and other things. - pg 1

This is more of a character driven story, exploring how people are going to react to this kind of tragedy. Don't get the wrong idea you will still see Garner's version of 'zombies' plenty..here they are just referred to as 'Connies' for contaminated. At it's heart this was a book about people, and just how close are those ties that bind. How helpful and caring are people going to be in the face of disaster? Are they going to sympathize with one another's hardships or turn a blind eye? Replace this disaster with any other one and it still hits home.

It's an interesting look at how the government might react, there were quite a few points of curiosity for me as to how this might play out - but I do admit I missed my blood and gore ​

It took me a a few chapters to adjust to the flow of Garner's writing style. I don't know exactly what it was, but the reading felt slow almost as if a lot of the sentences had pauses. You know how some people pause in a sentence for emphasis? That's the closest I can come to​ explaining​ it.

I have to admit though, every time​ I read the word "Connie" it made me think of a hotdog. Lucky for me that I'm not fond of hot dogs so I could totally use that word to picture these guys.​

*I was provided an advance reader copy of this book by the publisher. All opinions are completely my own* ( )
  Pabkins | May 2, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Contaminated isn't your stereotypically action packed zombie novel and I actually loved it for that reason. Instead, Em Garner shows the reader the aftermath of the contamination all brought on from a bad batch of a crazy popular diet drink called ThinPro. It focuses on two sisters, seventeen year-old Velvet and her little sister Opal and what they must do to survive in this new world.

It's not an easy task for the seventeen year-old; instead of worrying about boys and school, she is forced to worry about finding a safe place to sleep at night and how she is going to get food on the table. And when they find out their mom is now a connie (one the contaminated), despite their joy at finding their mother, it adds a whole new string of problems.

There are moments in the book where you forget that the main character is only a teenager, only for Garner to remind you in such a human and often touching way. You suffer with Velvet when she suffers and I often found myself rooting for her when she did things selflessly for her younger sister.

If you enjoyed books like Warm Bodies and I Am Legend, then this book is for you. ( )
  brismel | Jan 7, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
One expects zombie novels to be fast-paced and full of gritty, morbid, bloody zombie-killing action. Not so with Contaminated. The novel reveals the "humanity" of zombies, reminding us that the genre doesn't have to be all thrillerness and blood-and-guts fighting. I found it a rather refreshing difference, actually.

This is not to say that the plot of Contaminated is boring or slow, because it isn't. The story is very well-paced as well as well-written. The characters have depth and are engaging. They're dealing with issues not unknown to readers - having to take care of younger siblings, balancing family, work, and school, dealing with close family members who have various severe illnesses (the changes in Velvet's mother are a lot like a gradual reversal of Alzheimer's). The novel is very perceptive of some current social issues and negative cultural trends, and I found the book interesting in as much for its ways of examining these to various extents as for its actual storyline. ( )
  SusieBookworm | Dec 29, 2013 |
Dedicated to Unagh and Ronan, who love zombies as much as I do. Remember, kids, you gotta be fast enough to outrun 'em!
They keep them in cages. The unclaimed.

"Velvet fights for her family's survival after a widespread contamination turns a segment of the population, including her mother, into ultra-violent zombie-like creatures"--

EgmontUSA

An edition of this book was published by EgmontUSA.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Contaminated by Em Garner was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,917,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible