Among the Janeites: A Journey Through the…

Among the Janeites: A Journey Through the World of Jane Austen Fandom (2013)

by Deborah Yaffe

Why Jane Austen? by Rachel Brownstein (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Overlapping material -- one written by a journalist, one written by an esteemed Austen scholar. Both worth looking at.

Yes, I absolutely love Jane Austen and have read all her books multiple times....but I do not belong to any of the groups described in this book. Deborah Yaffe writes an extremely readable book about official Jane groups, Jane bloggers, Jane Austen rewriters, Austen tour groups, Austen fashion designers, and Yaffe's experiences with all of them. If you like Austen, this will be particularly interesting, but if you don't, this will help you understand the Austen phenomena too. ( )
  Connie-D | Jun 21, 2017 |
A series of vignettes about prominent Janeites and their contributions to JASNA and Jane Austen research.
  LibraryGirl11 | Oct 4, 2016 |
As a Janeite is was fun to read about other people, kind of, like me. This is a fun book with lots going on. Yaffe talks about Austen both in her time and what she has become in ours. It is interesting to read about all the different kinds of people that love Austen from professors to lawyer to housewives and they all get something different out of her. It made me think about one of my favorite authors in a new way and that is always good. I think that some of the people we meet are a little odd even for me but I liked learning about how Austen touched their lives and made them better. It is also interesting to read about the way fanfiction works in this scene. I remember when I saw some of the books talked about, I did not know that they started out as just fanfiction but I do not know why I surprised by this. I guess Austen has always just been so important to me that of course people would want to read more about the characters.

I give this book a Five out of Five stars. ( )
  lrainey | May 10, 2016 |
Journalist Yaffe, herself a Jane Austen fan going back to her childhood, explores the strange world of Jane Austen fandom. She attends numerous JASNA (Jane Austen Society of North America) events, including the annual dress up (cosplay) ball, a guided Austen tour of England, authors who write sequels to the novels, scholars, fanfic writers, and a slew of people who have some unconventional ideas about Austen and her books. Yaffe wove in many fascinating details and usually got things precisely right, occasionally not. When she loses herself in journalism, the book is fabulous. Occasionally her authorial voice would chirp in with her judgemental smug superiority, and I found that grating.

If there is a theme to this, it's the thing that I've noticed about fans of Jane Austen. They all love Jane dearly, all feel a special connection and a special understanding, but do not necessarily agree with each other on what those connections and understandings are. She describes "the divisions among Janeites -- academic purists versus Colin Firth fans, pretentious poseurs versus true enthusiasts," the fans who only want to read the books, and the fans who only want to see the films. Personally, I have no use for the Austen fans who view her as a spinster with perfect manners who drank tea and wrote sweet romances about very proper people. Blech.

Overall, this was delightful (even when the author was unlikeable).

Recommended for: JA fans, people interested in cultural studies and fandoms. ( )
1 vote Nickelini | Mar 1, 2016 |
Deborah Yaffe grew up loving books, even breaking school rules about reading in gym class, but nothing compared to her early love for Jane Austen. Before the internet allowed fans to easily connect with one another and the infamous Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice put Jane Austen on everyone's reading list, Yaffe's obsession felt very personal. It wasn't until she discovered the Jane Austen Society of North America (JASNA) that she realized she was not alone in her love for the author; in fact there were thousands of "Janeites" throughout the world, many with stories much more extreme than her own.

In Among the Janeites, Deborah Yaffe explores into the Jane Austen fandom from both the inside and the outside. Though a regular attendee of JASNA conferences, for the first time Yaffe spends hundreds of dollars on a period costume to wear to the conference ball. She also travels to Jane Austen's Chawton home in England with a group of Janeites in a sort of pilgrimage, aiming to walk the same paths as their favorite author. Yaffe talks to several others: famous fan fiction writers, people with outrageous theories, a man deciphering what he believes to be a secret code found in Austen's work.

Even those with minimal Austen knowledge simply curious about an extreme group of fans will find a great deal to enjoy in Among the Janeites. Without ever shutting out the casual reader nor chastising the Janeites for their excessive enthusiasm, Deborah Yaffe's book celebrates both Jane Austen and the impact the written word can have on all of us.

Blog: www.rivercityreading.com ( )
  rivercityreading | Aug 10, 2015 |
For Alastair
I have loved none but you
The Jane Austen tarot card I am holding in my hand shows a series of small images—a young women tending to children, fetching soup, performing domestic tasks.

For anyone who has ever loved a Jane Austen novel, a warm and witty look at the passionate, thriving world of Austen fandom

They walk among us in their bonnets and Empire-waist gowns, clutching their souvenir tote bags and battered paperbacks: the Janeites, Jane Austen’s legion of devoted fans. Who are these obsessed admirers, whose passion has transformed Austen from classic novelist to pop-culture phenomenon? Deborah Yaffe, journalist and Janeite, sets out to answer this question, exploring the remarkable endurance of Austen’s stories, the unusual zeal that their author inspires, and the striking cross-section of lives she has touched.

Along the way, Yaffe meets a Florida lawyer with a byzantine theory about hidden subtexts in the novels, a writer of Austen fan fiction who found her own Mr. Darcy while reimagining Pride and Prejudice, and a lit professor whose roller-derby nom de skate is Stone Cold Jane Austen. Yaffe goes where Janeites gather, joining a pilgrimage to historic sites in Britain, chatting online with fellow fans, and attending the annual ball of the Jane Austen Society of North America—in period costume. Part chronicle of a vibrant literary community, part memoir of a lifelong love, Among the Janeites is a funny, touching meditation on the nature of fandom.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:24 -0400)

Looks at the culture that exists among devoted followers of Jane Austen, detailing the hidden subtext in the author's novels and the varied people they have inspired.

Deborah Yaffe is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,153,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible