My Dream of Martin Luther King (Dragonfly…

My Dream of Martin Luther King (Dragonfly Books)

by Faith Ringgold

In this book, the narrator recalls a dream she had about the Civil Rights movement and leader. The dream explains points of MLK’s childhood and adulthood, as well as major events that happened throughout his life and how he rose to become the great leader he was. I loved the way this story was portrayed. It was a very creative outlook on MLK’s life because it was told and recalled from a dream. I also enjoyed learning about the author's own personal opinions about the historic events in the book, because her voice was clearly expressed throughout the reading. The main message of the book itself is vague because it is telling about true events, but Martin Luther King's main message was to gain equality for all people. ( )
  jjones58 | Apr 24, 2014 |
This was a great Biography. The author created the plot in a creative and engaging way. She introduced historical facts and events about Martin Luther King through a dream that a little girl had, “ I rarely remember my dreams. However, one day while watching a television program about Martin Luther King, Jr., I slept and had a dream I will never forget.” The way that the story is created is very engaging. It is a great way to introduce a powerful and influential topic/man to children of a young age. The main message of this book is facts and information about Martin Luther King, Jr. ( )
  jtaylo41 | Apr 23, 2014 |
In this story Faith Ringgold (the author) portrays Martin Luther Kings story by reciting it in her own vision. There are three reasons I liked this book. First, the story teaches a great lesson and shows children that they should always stand up for what they believe in and what they believe is right. Facing many struggles, Martin Luther King stood up for his rights as a citizen and wouldn’t give up until he had the rights he deserved. This leaves students with an important message. Never give up until you achieve the goal you’re striving for. Next, the descriptive language within this book really depicts the hardships people faced throughout this time period. For example, “They attacked them with dogs and beat them with cattle prods. Drenched, rages, and bleeding, the crowd stopped marching and signing.” Lastly, I thought the last page of the book was amazing. The last page covered the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. There was a list of dates on this page that highlighted important events in his life. Overall, the main idea of this book is stand up for what you want and make your dreams come true. ( )
  fwaldm1 | Apr 23, 2014 |
I enjoyed this picture book. There were many reasons why I enjoyed this book. One reason was the colors on each page. Each page was given a sort of ‘background color’ to portray the mood of the situation. I thought the illustrator did an excellent job of that. For example, on the page where Martin Luther King is in jail, the colors are a deep orange and black. On the page where he is at church, the colors are light purple and pink. I thought these colors were appropriate on each page.
Another reason I enjoyed this book was because of the narration. The author has an excellent way of drawing the reader in without being too subjective. Also, the author keeps saying “in my dream…” which I think is an excellent tool in this particular biography.
The main idea of this book is that Martin Luther King Jr. made a very important change in the lives of Americans, and he is very important to our history. ( )
  lmalak1 | Apr 16, 2014 |
Faith Ringgold portrays Martin Luther Kings story by reciting it in her own vision. ( )
  lnfranklin | Nov 26, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0517885778, Paperback)

Faith Ringgold had a dream about Martin Luther King. Simply narrated in her own voice, Ringgold--award-winning creator of Tar Beach and Aunt Harriet's Underground Railroad in the Sky paints a vivid, powerful picture of King's childhood and strong family life, along with glimpses of prejudice, segregation, and protest. Her vision blurs dreamily into King's adult life--from his family, to protests of Rosa Parks's arrest, even to his assassination: "This time we had come to mourn Martin Luther King's death by trading in bags containing our prejudice, hate, ignorance, violence, and fear for the slain hero's dream. We emptied the bags onto a great pile, and as the last bag was dumped, the pile exploded into a fire so bright that it lit up the whole world. There, emblazoned across the sky, were the words: EVERY GOOD THING STARTS WITH A DREAM." Illustrated with Ringgold's dramatic folk-modern paintings, My Dream of Martin Luther King is one of the most creative, successful, accessible tributes to Martin Luther King for children that we've seen. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:48 -0400)

The author recounts the life of Martin Luther King in the form of her own dream.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,363,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible