My Dream of Martin Luther King (Dragonfly…

My Dream of Martin Luther King (Dragonfly Books)

by Faith Ringgold

117None102,353 (4.22)1

I enjoyed this picture book. There were many reasons why I enjoyed this book. One reason was the colors on each page. Each page was given a sort of ‘background color’ to portray the mood of the situation. I thought the illustrator did an excellent job of that. For example, on the page where Martin Luther King is in jail, the colors are a deep orange and black. On the page where he is at church, the colors are light purple and pink. I thought these colors were appropriate on each page.
Another reason I enjoyed this book was because of the narration. The author has an excellent way of drawing the reader in without being too subjective. Also, the author keeps saying “in my dream…” which I think is an excellent tool in this particular biography.
The main idea of this book is that Martin Luther King Jr. made a very important change in the lives of Americans, and he is very important to our history. ( )
  lmalak1 | Apr 16, 2014 |
Faith Ringgold portrays Martin Luther Kings story by reciting it in her own vision. ( )
  lnfranklin | Nov 26, 2013 |
“My Dream of martin Luther King” depicts Faith Ringgold’s vivid dream about the former hero. Although not the entire story is true, it allows students to see the impact that Martin Luther King had on not just the lives of African Americans but on the country as a whole. This book shows children that they should always stand up for what they believe in and what is right. Even though it seemed like the country was against him and he endured so many struggles, King constantly kept pushing forward to a better world. This shows students that they should never give up until they reach their goals. The part of the story that stuck with me the most was that in Ringgold’s dream every one was carrying bags of prejudice, hate, ignorance, violence and fear and they threw it into a burning pile. The smoke from the pile spelled out “Every good thing starts with a dream.” This simple phrase is truly what King’s life was all about. He had a dream and he made it become a reality because he never gave up. Students can also realize that everything they want to pursue in life starts off with a dream. ( )
  kholec1 | Oct 10, 2013 |
This book explians very well Martin Luther King's dream, and what he believed should happen to all the people of American. A great message for children to talk about, how everyone should be treated the same. ( )
  Mmarcel2011 | Feb 17, 2013 |
This is an awesome story of the about the struggles and victories of Martin Luter King Jr. This book takes us back to a time where everything was segregated and how we as America overcame the hatred and became one.
  bea007 | Oct 16, 2011 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0517885778, Paperback)

Faith Ringgold had a dream about Martin Luther King. Simply narrated in her own voice, Ringgold--award-winning creator of Tar Beach and Aunt Harriet's Underground Railroad in the Sky paints a vivid, powerful picture of King's childhood and strong family life, along with glimpses of prejudice, segregation, and protest. Her vision blurs dreamily into King's adult life--from his family, to protests of Rosa Parks's arrest, even to his assassination: "This time we had come to mourn Martin Luther King's death by trading in bags containing our prejudice, hate, ignorance, violence, and fear for the slain hero's dream. We emptied the bags onto a great pile, and as the last bag was dumped, the pile exploded into a fire so bright that it lit up the whole world. There, emblazoned across the sky, were the words: EVERY GOOD THING STARTS WITH A DREAM." Illustrated with Ringgold's dramatic folk-modern paintings, My Dream of Martin Luther King is one of the most creative, successful, accessible tributes to Martin Luther King for children that we've seen. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:48 -0400)

The author recounts the life of Martin Luther King in the form of her own dream.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible