The Heart of Healing: Discovering the…

The Heart of Healing: Discovering the Secrets of Self-Care (edition 2013)

by MA PT, Regina Rosenthal

1161,198,720 (3.5)None
Member:newshelves
Title:The Heart of Healing: Discovering the Secrets of Self-Care
Authors:MA PT, Regina Rosenthal
Info:Regina Rosenthal PT LLC (2013), Paperback, 312 pages

The Heart of Healing: Discovering the Secrets of Self-Care by Regina Rosenthal MA PT

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Heart of Healing, like many self-help books today, advocates the practice of mental and spiritual exercises along with (or instead of) traditional medicine, to heal the body. Author Regina Rosenthal, a physical therapist who tours nationally presenting mind-body seminars, presents many of the most touted and popular mind-body healing tenets and techniques, and draws from some wonderful authors/practitioners. (The bibliography is an excellent source list.) Rosenthal seems both sincere and knowledgeable about her subject, but as a self-help book The Heart of Healing falls sadly short, especially when you consider the large number of available books on mind-body healing.

The biggest problem is that the book reads like it might be adapted from the transcript of one of Rosenthal's lectures.* The material has been better explained, and incorporated into practice, by other authors. The material has been better explained, and incorporated into practice, in which a group of people just sits and listens for a given amount of time, and the speaker must continously keep them awake and interested. As a result, she spend a great deal of time telling stories from her own life experiences, discussing the celebrated practitioners with whom she has worked (sometimes relating intersting anecdotes about them), and naming or quoting-from the books she has read about mind-body practice. In fact, so much of the material is autobiographical that, frankly, it felt more like a memoir than practical health advice.

I found her writing style to be frenetic, and somewhat disorganized. Promises made at the beginning of each chapter (stating benefits/knowledge that the reader will gain) are not borne out by the content. Rosenthal also had a tendency to use airy, new age-y prose and platitudes (e.g. "Beauty is everywhere") that just falls flat. At times her prose was esoteric, with metaphors that seemed far-reaching, and pasages that felt "lightweight," imprecise, or too vague. Again, I had the impression that this style would "play better to a live audience.

The author targets a wide audience, namely anyone who has ever experienced "physical illness...emotional challenges...mental stress...or spiritual dark nights of the soul." That leaves few people out! I came away, however, with a sense that The Heart of Healing will mostly appeal to those who are largely unfamiliar with mind-body healing practices, and/or those seeking a quick and generalized overview of popular practices. All of the material has been more comprehensively explained or developed into a regimen by other authors. Readers who already have a good introduction to mind-body healing under their belts, and are looking for more, would likely be better-off with a different selection.

*This is merely speculation; I have not attended a presentation by Rosenthal.

Note: 4/27/16 - I have edited this review to (hopefully!) improve the style, tone & grammar, and I added one "insight" in paragraph two, but none of this altered the original opinions stated. The star rating also remains unchanged. ( )
  Jubercat | Oct 23, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Rosenthal has provided a book that tries to guide one to take care of themselves through "self-care" practices and awareness. Although the author is a wonderful writer, the book was a little difficult to read. The manner in which the book was written and the language made it extremely difficult to understand some of the concepts described. The best part of the book was the suggested journal exercises and tasks to assist one in taking a more active role in self-healing. This book seems to be primarily geared to those who are more familiar with spirituality ideas and healing practices. ( )
  Virasana123 | Oct 19, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a beautifully written book which provokes a lot of soul searching. I appreciate Rosenthal's perspective and she gives good pointers and techniques. Although some of the ideas presented may be intuitive knowledge for some, everyone could take away helpful ideas from this book. I certainly would recommend the book to anyone interested in self healing, improving self-esteem, or anyone interested in human psychology. ( )
  VikingGypsy | Sep 28, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is a how-to for connecting your heart & soul to your mind & body for a more complete self. Iit shows how to accomplish this through journaling, mindfulness, meditation, writing a short autobiography, and being present. The author guides the reader through various situations. The healing is meant to be both physical and emotional, and there are many examples of specific problems and illnesses. The author herself overcame challenging situations. The practices are for self care or good points to discuss if under a physician's care. The author emphasizes the "wisdom of the authentic self" and her goal is to teach readers how to find that in oneself. There are many very good points in the book, however, I found it difficult to read. I've read many similar books and this one felt "uneven" and choppy.. I wish I had liked the book as a whole more, but I only liked it in parts. ( )
  snowangel51 | Sep 13, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Heart of Healing: Discovering the Secrets of Self Care is a valuable tool for those on the path of closer union with their authentic self. Well organized and easy to navigate with a glossary, endnotes, and bibliography. If you're ready to work, this is a guide and companion that won't disappoint. ( )
  Pranamama5 | Aug 24, 2013 |

Do you want to revitalize your physical health? Do you seek peace mentally, emotionally, and spiritually? Are you facing challenges in your life? "The Heart of Healing" is for you! • Foster well-being at every stage of your life journey. • Discover simple ways to manage stress and burnout. • Utilize your inner strengths, resources, and wisdom. • Bring joy and vitality to your quality of life. "The Heart of Healing" is the perfect book for those seeking to deepen their understanding of healing. Health-care professionals and the chronically ill know that this is a life-long journey of growth and development. For those transported into this daunting and unknown territory, Regina Rosenthal shares the seven universal themes encountered during healing, and how to enhance your ability to respond. The interactive format teaches you how to reconnect with heart-and-soul-centered awareness. It also presents a wealth of Self-care practices to empower, strengthen, and maximize well-being.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:38 -0400)

"The Heart of Healing" describes the lifelong journey home to our heart and authentic Self that occurs through healing. It reveals how this journey and Self-care practices guide us to empowering discoveries at the heart, or core, of our being. Healing is a continuous process, not a single life event, and it is stimulated each time we commit to showing up, being present, and connecting with our heart's pathway. Healing begins with the heart, and all paths lead back to the heart. During my early years as a physical therapist, I came to a realization about healing that has stayed with me to this day - we will experience many healing journeys from the moment we are born. This book is based on a core belief that developed from this awareness - healing is a lifelong process of growth and development. Healing begins with the journey back to our hearts, often initially encountered when we face a health crisis, pain, distress, or disease - a lack of ease in our physical, mental, emotional, and/or spiritual being. Too often, our hearts are torn because we have fallen into dualistic thinking and living. Guided by either/or choices, we perceive individuals and situations as good or bad, right or wrong, this way or that way, rather than being open to both options. Returning to our heart transports us to a multidimensional world with beginnings and endings, joy and grief, pain and possibility, love and loss, beauty and the beast. "The Heart of Healing" is written for anyone who finds life turned upside down and difficult in the face of: - physical illness as a result of shock, trauma, disease and/or disability - emotional challenges such as shock, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, or anxiety - mental stress from overload, exhaustion, and burnout related to daily living and/or unchallenged attitudes, beliefs, and habits that no longer serve - spiritual dark nights of the soul-an overall sense of emptiness, aloneness, disconnection, loss. and lack of purpose and meaning "The Heart of Healing" is written for anyone seeking to learn more about healing, and how to be more active in their healing process. The clients I worked with for thirty years were empowered through this educational process. Each theme within "The Heart of Healing" will guide you on an individual journey that is about heart and meaning, and a path to your authentic Self. As you learn, grow, and gain insights on this journey, you will find answers to several questions: - What is healing? - How does healing impact my whole being? - Which theme(s) do I encounter during healing challenges? - How can the themes, expanded awareness, compassion, and mindfulness benefit and enhance my healing process? Your awareness will also deepen as you read, reflect, journal, and consistently participate in Self-care practices at the end of each chapter. These practices will help you discover ways to ground, integrate, and practically apply new insights. Your ability to use internal and external guidance, resources, and support will also be enhanced and will empower you and your healing process. The themes, process of Self-inquiry, awareness-tracking tools, and Self-care practices in each chapter are simple, easy to follow, and build upon one another. They can be used independently, in groups, and in self-directed or counseling formats. These strategies expand body-mind awareness and enhance Self-love, confidence, trust, and inner peace. A more purposeful and meaningful life will be manifested as you practically apply and integrate experiences and insights learned during healing. It is my hope that this book helps to create a bridge for all of us, from where we are now to where we seek to be in our healing process, growth and development, and human...… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

MA PT, Regina Rosenthal's book The Heart of Healing: Discovering the Secrets of Self-Care was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,741,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible