Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Vaporware by Richard Dansky

Vaporware (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Richard Dansky

Member:dementomstie
Title:Vaporware
Authors:Richard Dansky
Info:JournalStone (2013), Paperback, 346 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Early Reviewers

Vaporware by Richard Dansky (2013)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ryan Colter and his team have been working on the video game, Blue Lightning, but, due to budget constraints from up the ladder, Ryan’s manager has to scrap the video game in favor of adapting a shoot-em-up type game for older systems. Ryan has a real hard time with the decision and begins to seriously consider quitting and working on writing the book he wants to write full-time. Instead, Ryan throws himself into the next project to try to bring the entire team on board only to have Blue Lightning come back to haunt him. Blue Lightning has come to life and has no desire to be shelved and put in storage. Has Blue Lightning truly come to life or is Ryan imagining it all? Will Ryan find a way to save the game without losing his sanity?

An intriguing plot with fun, well-developed characters. Readers who are into gaming and game development will enjoy the gaming references and the idea of a game coming to life. ( )
  kirathelibrarian | Nov 14, 2014 |
Not what I expected or hoped for. This book isn't really about a video game character running around killing people. It's more about the man who created her. It dragged on a bit, and was a bit too techy for me, but overall it was an OK read. I would say it's more about obsession than horror. ( )
  lesindy | Nov 1, 2014 |
Vaporware come alive

Rich Dansky knows what he's talking about and that sips through in this book where it concerns the gaming business, software design and testing. Having your software come alive and really interface with your creation is a fantasy prominent in all designers, gaming or otherwise, and he pulls it off with ease and credibility.

Readers who had or still have to frequent boring and usually unnecessary boardroom meetings can identify with that part of the story; but, truth be told, they are a reality and as such need to be part of this story too to make it believable. Those of us readers who are also working in the area of software development (games or otherwise) can identify with the unfortunate culling of lovable projects as well as the different stages of software development and testing. Readers who are familiar with neither of the above, will get a very good idea how the computer and console games that they play come alive so to say.

The most fascinating part of this story is that where at its core it can be described as "Artificial Intelligence come Alive", it does so in a completely different environment that what one would expect. Not in some distant and alien future, but in the present, in the now. ( )
  Michael.Hoogkamer | Sep 29, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this as an early review copy from librarything. I thought this was a good story based around the gaming industry. I can see people relating to the job and relationship aspect of this tale. How people get so wrapped up in their career they neglect those they love and what they have waiting for them at home. I loved the fantasy side of this also. Blue Lightning truly interferes with peoples lives in more ways than one! This author did a great job in making this something fun to read and hold your interest to the end. ( )
  rhondavanae | Aug 17, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disclaimer: This Kindle book was received via LibraryThing's Early Reviewer giveaway.

The story starts out with a good look at a video game director who is very heavily invested in his work. Like all workaholics, his life outside the office deteriorates and frustration over the lack of control spirals in. For the first entire half of the book, we see the effects of overbearing stress and repetitive stupid, stupid decisions on Ryan, our intrepid hero. His ingenious work, destined to revolutionize the gaming industry, is canceled due to game producer (read: beancounter) bottom line risk aversion, and he's forced to work on a brainless and talentless port of a crappy franchise piece guaranteed to bring in millions for the production company but bring nothing new to the table. Our boy Ryan is an arrogant egotist with very poor social and decision-making skills; a cardboard cutout stereotype of an outcast gamer geek somehow done well for himself. He's got the dream girl, he's got the dream job, he's got the horrible unlikability...

When the supernatural events promised by the front cover actually do take place at the halfway point of the book, I was interested once again. Perhaps this new player would liven things up. I get the whole "project takes on a life of its own" allegory and it had potential, but there's very little escalation by our Blue Lightning entity that cannot be attributed to Ryan's idiocy. I started to think this was less a supernatural/sci-fi AI manifestation and a narrative breakdown in Ryan's sanity, delving into some neat interactions with coworkers as the mental break progresses. I wish it were that good.

The confrontation prior to the climax was enjoyable but the resolution was extremely -- EXTREMELY -- disappointing. There's only so far I'm willing to go with my suspension of disbelief and when that quota is nearly used up beforehand, the ending had best be at least logical within the confines of the world that was created. There were glimmers of potential throughout but nothing truly came together during the book and all of it was dashed by the ending. With another work or two and some serious work on creating likable characters, Dansky may be able to flip my opinion. Until then, this one gets a pass. ( )
  aquinaught | Aug 4, 2013 |
To anyone who's ever crunched, fought feature creep, planted an Easter egg (or dug one up), playtested, playtested some more, killed bugs, done level reviews, checked in code after midnight, cleaned up after someone who checked in code improperly after midnight, watched their feature get cut or their project get killed and gone back for more because, damnit, we're making games - this one's for you.
And for the loved ones - spouses, children, parents, siblings and dear friends - who are there as we do it. It's for you, too.
Thank you.
The woman onscreen was blue.

Video game projects get shut down all the time, but when the one Ryan Colter and his team have poured their hearts into gets cut, something different happens: the game refuses to go away. Now Blue Lightning is alive, and it wants something from Ryan-- something only he can give it. And everybody knows how addictive video games can be--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Richard Dansky's book Vaporware was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Richard E. Dansky is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,461,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible