Generation V by M.L. Brennan

Generation V

by M.L. Brennan

When first I came across this title, I discarded it outright because I thought it would be another example of the now-consumed-to-the-bone (or is it fang?) vampire trope. Yet I kept reading enthusiastic reviews about it, and catching the word "different" which made me curious, so I decided to give it a try. Generation V is indeed different on many levels, starting with its main character, who is quite removed from the trite representation of vampires in Urban Fantasy: this book is a great fresh start for a new series, and the author is one I intend to keep on my radar.

But let's proceed with order...

Read the full review here:
http://spaceandsorcery.wordpress.com/2014/10/18/generation-v-m-l-brennan/ ( )
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |
This was a fun book. I loved how Fortitude wasn't like most of the vampires you see these days--he's just an ordinary guy, raised in an extraordinary world, trying to do his best while his family just so happens to all be psychopathic vampires. Fort was a character that you just wanted to hug, and I really felt his character start to grow throughout the novel (with more character growth to come, I'm sure). ( )
  KamagiKat | Nov 9, 2018 |
Wow, just wow. I love this book. I really like the world built around these vampires and other creatures. Fort is a vampire who has not transitioned from human yet. He is indulged by his mother (an ancient vampire) and his older brother. But his sister Prudence just wants him dead. Determined to live outside his family, Fort scrounges a living working at a bad coffee bar. But he can only stay away from his family for so long before he has to (ick) feed. Anyway, when Fort's human sensibilities interupt vampire politics, he is determined to do the right thing, even if it kills him. Which it probably will. With the reluctant help of his shape shifting body guard, Fort plans to challenge a much older vampire. But first he has to find him.

As I said, great world building. Wonderful characters well developed. And lots of action. Can't wait to read the second in the series. (Iron Night) ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Apr 28, 2015 |
I’m not sure how this series passed me by originally, but I’m really glad I found it.

Fortitude Scott is a vampire, or almost a vampire. He has yet to grow into his fangs….and he honestly hopes he never does, even though it’s all inevitable. His mother is the formidable Madeline Scott and doesn’t take no for an answer when she wants Fortitude home for dinner, but when he’s not at his Mother’s house he spends his entire life pretending to be fully human. Which is all he ever wanted to begin with. Is to be normal and human, but it’s hard to pretend when he has to drink his mother’s blood monthly in order to survive right now.

It’s a gritty urban fantasy along with some really funny dialog between Fort and his best friend Suzume, a Kitsune, as they try to find a couple of missing girls. He is certain that a visiting vampire, that his mother has welcomed into her territory, has kidnapped these girls in order to try to make his own child vampire. The process is extremely difficult to perfect, and because of this difficulty, this vampire has been using and discarding young human girls until he can find one that works. You’ll be surprised to find out how vampires are born in this one, as it’s completely different than anything you’ve probably ever heard or read before.

I had a hard time putting this one down and am well into the second book of the series, which so far is even better than this one. I love Fort’s dry sense of humor and Suze’s sarcastic wit. Between the 2 of them you’ll be laughing out loud, even if the storyline is gritty and sometimes gruesome. Definitely worth reading.

MustHaveFiction | Apr 11, 2015 |
4 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451418409, Mass Market Paperback)

Reality Bites

Fortitude Scott’s life is a mess. A degree in film theory has left him with zero marketable skills, his job revolves around pouring coffee, his roommate hasn’t paid rent in four months, and he’s also a vampire. Well, sort of. He’s still mostly human.

But when a new vampire comes into his family’s territory and young girls start going missing, Fort can’t ignore his heritage anymore. His mother and his older, stronger siblings think he’s crazy for wanting to get involved. So it’s up to Fort to take action, with the assistance of Suzume Hollis, a dangerous and sexy shape-shifter. Fort is determined to find a way to outsmart the deadly vamp, even if he isn’t quite sure how.

But without having matured into full vampirehood and with Suzume ready to split if things get too risky, Fort’s rescue mission might just kill him.…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:50 -0400)

Fortitude Scott's life is a mess. A degree in film theory has left him with zero marketable skills, his job revolves around pouring coffee, his roommate hasn't paid rent in four months, and he's also a vampire. Well, sort of. He's still mostly human. But when a new vampire comes into his family's territory and young girls start going missing, Fort can't ignore his heritage anymore. His mother and his older, stronger siblings think he's crazy for wanting to get involved. So it's up to Fort to take action, with the assistance of Suzume Hollis, a dangerous and sexy shape-shifter. Fort is determined to find a way to outsmart the deadly vamp, even if he isn't quite sure how. But without having matured into full vampirehood and with Suzume ready to split if things get too risky, Fort's rescue mission might just kill him.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,184,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible