No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor…

No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in World…

by Doris Kearns Goodwin

Highly interesting and very detailed exploration of the Roosevelt White House during WW II, looked at through the relationship of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt. Very well researched and documented. I did, however, get the feeling that Goodwin was more sympathetic to Eleanor than Franklin and, in particular with Eleanor's stronger liberal leanings, and this colored the book a bit. But I think she was fair to Franklin overall and, as such the book was quite insightful. ( )
  NellieMc | Sep 3, 2014 |
It took a long time to read this but it was worth all the time. The detail is tremendous but not overwhelming and I really felt I needed all the details to understand her final 20/30 pages of analysis that was crystal clear. What a fascinating couple and fascinating time period and Goodwin brings it all to life so vividly. Fantastic.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
Amazing book. Perfect blend of the personal and political lives of the Roosevelts. ( )
  flippinpages | Nov 24, 2013 |
I read this almost 20 years ago, about the time it was published. At that time, I struggled through the book. I hadn’t done much reading about the World War II era and was unfamiliar with many of the players. This time, I truly enjoyed the book, breezed through it, amazed at the level of detail contained, and the strong writing. No wonder it won the Pulitzer Prize for history.

Although No Ordinary Time focuses on the lives of Eleanor and Franklin Delano Roosevelt, it gives a wonderful perspective on the home front during World War II – what was going on before, during and after the war to support the fighting men and defeat the Nazis and the Japanese. And it provides insight on an unusual partnership – FDR, who couldn’t get out easily because of the effects of polio, and the woman he sent out to gather facts for him. Of course, Eleanor was her own person. Her desire to fight for America’s underdogs, her independent nature – along with FDR’s own personality quirks and long-time love interest with Lucy Rutherfurd – were hard on the marriage. But it’s apparent they truly loved each other and worked together in the country’s best interest.

No Ordinary Time is a terrific read, researched to the nth degree and written with a journalistic approach. ( )
1 vote NewsieQ | Nov 11, 2013 |
A mammoth sized bio of the Roosevelt's leading up to and during WWII, fascinating on audiobook, though it took forever. I must admit, I quizzed my mother and father-in-law much of the time while listening to this. Peppering them with questions about what it was like back when they were teenagers during the war and what were their memories of FDR and Eleanor. I really enjoyed this! A must for anyone that's interested in this time period and FDR. Not much more to say than that! ( )
  ktleyed | Nov 1, 2013 |

Doris Kearns Goodwinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Herrmann, EdwardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On May 10, 1940, Hitler invaded Holland, Luxembourg, Belgium, and France, bringing the "phony war" to an end, and initiating a series of events which led, almost inevitably, to America's involvement in history's greatest armed conflict.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671642405, Hardcover)

A compelling chronicle of a nation and its leaders during the period when modern America was created. With an uncanny feel for detail and a novelist's grasp of drama and depth, Doris Kearns Goodwin brilliantly narrates the interrelationship between the inner workings of the Roosevelt White House and the destiny of the United States. Goodwin paints a comprehensive, intimate portrait that fills in a historical gap in the story of our nation under the Roosevelts.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:44 -0400)

Examines the Roosevelts' working partnership during the war years.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,484,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible