No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor…

by Doris Kearns Goodwin (Author)

The United States of 1940, an isolationist country divided along class lines, still suffering the ravages of a decade-long depression, and woefully unprepared for war, was unified by a common threat and by the extraordinary leadership of Franklin Roosevelt to become, only five years later, the preeminent economic and military power in the world. At the center of the country's transformation was the complex partnership of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt. Franklin knew the war could not be won without focusing the energies of the American people and expanding his base of support -- making his peace with conservative leaders and gaining the cooperation of big business. Eleanor, meanwhile, felt the war would not be worth winning if the old order of things at home prevailed, and was often at odds with her husband in her efforts to preserve the gains of the New Deal and achieve reforms in civil rights, housing, and welfare programs. While Franklin manned the war room at the White House and met with Winston Churchill, Joseph Stalin, Mackenzie King, and other world leaders to discuss strategy for the war abroad, Eleanor crisscrossed the country, visiting the American people, seeing how the war and policies her husband made in Washington affected them as individuals. Using diaries, interviews, and White House records of the president's and first lady's comings and goings, Goodwin paints a detailed, intimate portrait not only of the daily conduct of the presidency during wartime but of the Roosevelts themselves and their extraordinary constellation of friends, advisers, and family, many of whom lived with them in the White House: Missy LeHand, FDR's "other wife" and secretary; Harry Hopkins, FDR's closest friend and adviser; the president's indomitable mother, Sara; the Roosevelts' daughter, Anna; Eleanor's close friends Lorena Hickock and Joe Lash; Crown Princess Martha of Norway; FDR's former lover Lucy Rutherfurd, who, in a final, painful blow to Eleanor, was with him when he died. Bringing to bear the tools of both history and biography, Goodwin relates the unique story of how Franklin Roosevelt, surrounded by his small circle of intimates, led the nation to military victory abroad against seemingly insurmountable odds and, with Eleanor's essential help, forever changed the fabric of American society.… (more)
Member:larryz223
Title:No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in World War II
Authors:Doris Kearns Goodwin (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (1995), Edition: 1st, 768 pages
Tags:history

No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in World War II by Doris Kearns Goodwin

Dense book with a zillion actors explaining the dynamics between Eleanor and Franklin. I have to admit, Eleanor was a force to he reckoned with.

It's a comfort to read about the enormous problems that we faced during the 1930's and 40's and we survived. Today our government is in a shambles and the country divided. We're facing conflicting ideas concerning immigration , health care, climate control, race relations. These problems are not so far removed from the problems of yesterday.

I believe our society is basically good. Given the facts I believe we do the right thing. The Japanese internment camps were wrong. Turning away Jewish refugees fleeing persecution was wrong. Our tendency to be isolationists is wrong and we learned, at least I hope so.
I have never been a student of history until the twilight of my years. Its eye opening to realize not much has changed. People do not evolve quickly, yet when it happens it's like a sea change.

ER & FDR did much to shape our society in America as it is today. They did much to save the world. ( )
  Alphawoman | Apr 21, 2019 |
A good portrayal of marriage set against the backdrop of World War 2 ( )
  mollygerry | Nov 25, 2018 |
There is not much I can say about this book that has not already been said. This certainly was a book that immediately moves into my top 10 history books. Doris Kearns Goodwin is a special talent as a writer, and this in-depth look at Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt during the World War II years is everything you could hope for. It is a detailed look at the personal lives of the Roosevelts, their relationships with each other and with other friends and family, and American society during the War. I particularly enjoyed reading about the relationship between FDR and Churchill, and more than anything, I loved learning about Eleanor Roosevelt. I always knew the general biography of her accomplishments, but to read about her tireless efforts to help all people of every race, gender, and economic background in America was truly inspiring. Highly recommended. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Another great book by DKG! She makes the characters come to life! I really came to love Bothe FDR and Eleanor. Especially Eleanor- what an amazing First Lady and she she did for women's right and civil rights. DKG did point out her flaws although you couldn't help but find those endearing too! ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 18, 2017 |
First edition, inscribed by author, jacket
  Virginislander | Jul 16, 2017 |

Doris Kearns Goodwinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Herrmann, EdwardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On May 10, 1940, Hitler invaded Holland, Luxembourg, Belgium, and France, bringing the "phony war" to an end, and initiating a series of events which led, almost inevitably, to America's involvement in history's greatest armed conflict.
They are not dead who live in lives they leave behind. In those whom they have blessed they live a life again.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,814,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible