Brilliance (The Brilliance Trilogy) by…

Brilliance (The Brilliance Trilogy) (edition 2013)

by Marcus Sakey (Author)

Member:realfish
Title:Brilliance (The Brilliance Trilogy)
Authors:Marcus Sakey (Author)
Info:Thomas & Mercer (2013), 439 pages

Brilliance by Marcus Sakey

The Right Hand by Derek Haas (4leschats)
    4leschats: Similar guy-on-his-own but with better action focus

English (37)  Swedish (1)  All (38)
Since 1980, 1% of the population has been born with gifts. They can read the subtlest cues or move with uncommon stealth. Known as Brilliants, they live, somewhat uneasily, side-by-side with Normals. Nick Cooper is a Brilliant who works for a federal agency tasked with keeping Brilliants in check. Because of this, he finds himself caught between world, uncertain who to trust. This fast-paced novel is filled with twists and turns. It works very well on audio. I started the second book in the trilogy as soon as I finished the first. ( )
  porch_reader | Dec 9, 2016 |
This is not the type of book I would normally pick up but I am so glad I did. Thrilling from beginning to end with a not-so-subtle message about the classifications of "us" and "them". Loved this book so much it is now being passed amongst my family and friends. Can't wait for the next installment. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
I listened to the Audible Audio version of this book, narrated by Luke Daniels. Let me say at the start that I really enjoyed Mr. Daniels as a narrator. The way that he chose to voice the various characters was engaging and really added to my enjoyment of the story. What I did not like about the book as an audiobook really relates to how the story was written. It is clear that the story was written to be read visually - not audibly. There were quite a few places where it was a strain to understand the overall meaning of what was being said - either because it was written in conversations and then, of course, read in conversations, or because things were just written in such a way that the meaning became ambiguous because it was being spoken and not seen.

All that aside, though, I think the story was pretty great. This book is not a dystopian, but more just an alternate universe to ours. The story deals with what life would be like if there were people called "brilliants" who had what are kind of like super powers, but not quite. Some people, on the lower tiers can just add lots of big numbers in their heads...the kind of stuff that some people can probably do already. But on the higher end, people can "walk through walls" (read the book to understand) or read patterns in people's lives to determine every move they are going to make next - which is what Cooper can do.

Cooper works for a government agency that hunts down Brilliants who get into trouble. He and his agency police the Brilliants in a way, to make sure that if any get out of hand, they are taken off the streets.

Cooper and the other characters in this book are fantastic. They are life-like, and likable...until some of them aren't. And if they aren't, sometimes you grow to like them. There are definitely some grey areas in this book.

There is a lot of action in this book, as well, and the action moves quickly. There is A LOT of detail in this book. It seems like every time you turn around, Cooper is describing his surroundings AGAIN, but it was only mildly annoying, and didn't really take too much away from the story for me, aside from the fact that I definitely noticed it.

All-in-all, I would recommend this book to fans of thrillers who want something fairly fast paced and exciting. I would probably recommend trying to read this rather than listening to the audiobook, though. It was enjoyable, but probably would have been less confusing in parts had I been reading the book instead. ( )
  TheGrandWorldofBooks | Jul 27, 2016 |
For anyone who loves the idea of humans being born with special powers this book, despite it's stupid points, is worth a quick read. In Brilliance, around the year 1980 children started being born with special gifts. These children get called many things, twists, abnorms, but also the titular brilliants. No one knows why or how some children are born with these abilities, which is frustrating to me, but at least all the powers seem explainable by science. None seem to break the laws of physics. Rather than x-men level powers (no laser eyes for example) people are born with aptitudes for music, data, or extreme pattern recognition. Nick Cooper, the protagonist, is one of these people and his ability to read patterns and body language means he's very good in a fight. This comes in handy in his role as an agent of DAR, Department of Analysis and Response, a special agency created to manage the brilliants. Cooper's in a division of the DAR that doesn't officially exist. Equitable services has the power to track, detain, and even execute brilliants who are using their powers for evil. Or at least that's how Cooper justifies his work, he believes he's making the world a better place.

Cooper, and seemingly the DAR's main target is a terrorist named John Smith, a brilliant raised in a government run "academy" from the age 8 and brain-washed to hate other brilliants and trust the government and regular humans. His real name, like his humanity, was taken from him when he entered the academy. The more we find out about the academy the more understandable John Smith is, he's probably mentally damaged, but the terrorist shootings he commits never fully make sense to me until the end, when Cooper finally is given enough information to put it all together. I saw the pattern from the beginning of the book and Nick Cooper, the seemingly brilliant who has special ability, didn't, which was the main bit that annoyed me about this book.

The other annoying aspect was the homophobia of the agents, except when it came to lesbianism which only exists in this book for male pleasure. There's even a love interest who had several lesbian relationships, great fodder for Nick Cooper's fantasy's, and even gets into a relationship with Cooper cause she wasn't actually a lesbian! Perfect for any red-blooded het male reader to get off to. The agents (even the fake lesbian) bully each other by saying their male friends are their boyfriends. The fake lesbian is even revealed to have been engaged to a woman, the reason she didn't get married is cause she wasn't a lesbian. What?! What a living male fantasy this woman's sexuality is. Imagine if this was reversed, Nick Cooper was Nicola Cooper, she meets a man who had fooled around with other guys, got engaged to different dude, but didn't marry him cause he wasn't gay. It sounds bizarre cause it is, but I guess I'm not the reader Marcus Sakey was going for.

I'm giving this a 3 star rating only because it kept me entertained to the end. ( )
  wifilibrarian | Jun 5, 2016 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Since 1980 one percent of the population has been born Brilliant (abnorm, twist, etc). Usually by enhanced pattern recognition they have the ability to be brilliant in a certain discipline. As is usual in these kind of stories, the government and the normals grow afraid of these people, trying to indoctrinate them and if that fails, label them terrorists and kill them. It is for this organization that Nick Cooper works. A Brilliant himself, he uses his skills to hunt them down. When his daughter turns out to also be a Brilliant, he will go to great lengths to protect her.

It's all been done before, I realize that. If you're looking for an original plot filled with stuff you didn't see coming, this book probably isn't going to do it. There's the government who's afraid of people who are special. The organization that is not so good as the main character thought at first. The main character himself, who is like almost every other main character in an action packed thriller, a man on a mission. The 'improbable' and unnecessary love story. It is all there.

But why a high rating? I hear you think. That's because despite everything, I really enjoyed reading it. I didn't mind the fact that it wasn't (very) original or that one should not think too long about the plot. And I think that it is worth something when a book can make me forgive and forget these kind of things. Also, I really want to continue the series. However, this is the series where I got approved for the second an third book after the archive date... *sigh* I mailed them and Netgalley, but to no avail. So, I will probably continue, some time (when I find the books somewhere cheap).

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |

Marcus Sakeyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
ten Berge, JeroenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the three amazing women in my life: My mother, Sally  My wife, g.g.  My daughter, Jocelyn  Never was a man so lucky.
The radio host had said there was a war coming, said it like he was looking forward to it, and Cooper, coatless and chilly in the desert evening, was thinking that the radio man was an asshole.

In Wyoming, a little girl reads people’s darkest secrets by the way they fold their arms. In New York, a man sensing patterns in the stock market racks up $300 billion. In Chicago, a woman can go invisible by being where no one is looking. They’re called “brilliants,” and since 1980, one percent of people have been born this way. Nick Cooper is among them; a federal agent, Cooper has gifts rendering him exceptional at hunting terrorists. His latest target may be the most dangerous man alive, a brilliant drenched in blood and intent on provoking civil war. But to catch him, Cooper will have to violate everything he believes in—and betray his own kind.

Nick Cooper, a federal agent, has gifts rendering him exceptional at hunting terrorists. His latest target may be the most dangerous man alive, a brilliant drenched in blood and intent on provoking civil war. But to catch him, Cooper will have to violate everything he believes in--and betray his own kind.… (more)

114 wanted3 pay4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,763,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible