Brilliance (The Brilliance Trilogy) by…

Brilliance (The Brilliance Trilogy) (edition 2013)

by Marcus Sakey (Author)

Member:realfish
Title:Brilliance (The Brilliance Trilogy)
Authors:Marcus Sakey (Author)
Info:Thomas & Mercer (2013), 439 pages

Brilliance by Marcus Sakey

The Right Hand by Derek Haas (4leschats)
    4leschats: Similar guy-on-his-own but with better action focus

English (38)  Swedish (1)  All (39)
Thoroughly enjoyed this. While it's not a particularly original idea, it's well executed and the world that is created has stayed with me - looking forward to the other books. ( )
  MikePearce | Jun 19, 2017 |
What would happen if one percent of the human population were born gifted? And what would happen if the “Normal” populace viewed these “Brilliants” as dangerous?
Despite their varied gifts in disparate fields, including medicine, math, and technology, the oppressed abnorms find themselves caught up in a “war” with the normals and random acts of terrorism occur all too frequently.

Ex-soldier Nick Cooper is an agent in the Equitable Response Unit of the Department of Analysis and Response; he tracks down terrorist abnorms. He is good at his job, the best agent in the department, thanks to his abnorm gift. But what if everything he thinks he knows about the people he works for and the work he does has been a lie?

With believable characters and an often-unforeseen, twisting plot, the suspense mounts as the story unfolds. Despite being occasionally predictable, readers will find themselves easily drawn into this complex tale of conflict between two segments of society. Readers will find it difficult to set this compelling story aside until they’ve reached the final page.

Readers should note that “Brilliance” is the first book in a trilogy; the other volumes are “A Better World” and “Written in Fire.”

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Jun 5, 2017 |
Since 1980, 1% of the population has been born with gifts. They can read the subtlest cues or move with uncommon stealth. Known as Brilliants, they live, somewhat uneasily, side-by-side with Normals. Nick Cooper is a Brilliant who works for a federal agency tasked with keeping Brilliants in check. Because of this, he finds himself caught between world, uncertain who to trust. This fast-paced novel is filled with twists and turns. It works very well on audio. I started the second book in the trilogy as soon as I finished the first. ( )
  porch_reader | Dec 9, 2016 |
This is not the type of book I would normally pick up but I am so glad I did. Thrilling from beginning to end with a not-so-subtle message about the classifications of "us" and "them". Loved this book so much it is now being passed amongst my family and friends. Can't wait for the next installment. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
I listened to the Audible Audio version of this book, narrated by Luke Daniels. Let me say at the start that I really enjoyed Mr. Daniels as a narrator. The way that he chose to voice the various characters was engaging and really added to my enjoyment of the story. What I did not like about the book as an audiobook really relates to how the story was written. It is clear that the story was written to be read visually - not audibly. There were quite a few places where it was a strain to understand the overall meaning of what was being said - either because it was written in conversations and then, of course, read in conversations, or because things were just written in such a way that the meaning became ambiguous because it was being spoken and not seen.

All that aside, though, I think the story was pretty great. This book is not a dystopian, but more just an alternate universe to ours. The story deals with what life would be like if there were people called "brilliants" who had what are kind of like super powers, but not quite. Some people, on the lower tiers can just add lots of big numbers in their heads...the kind of stuff that some people can probably do already. But on the higher end, people can "walk through walls" (read the book to understand) or read patterns in people's lives to determine every move they are going to make next - which is what Cooper can do.

Cooper works for a government agency that hunts down Brilliants who get into trouble. He and his agency police the Brilliants in a way, to make sure that if any get out of hand, they are taken off the streets.

Cooper and the other characters in this book are fantastic. They are life-like, and likable...until some of them aren't. And if they aren't, sometimes you grow to like them. There are definitely some grey areas in this book.

There is a lot of action in this book, as well, and the action moves quickly. There is A LOT of detail in this book. It seems like every time you turn around, Cooper is describing his surroundings AGAIN, but it was only mildly annoying, and didn't really take too much away from the story for me, aside from the fact that I definitely noticed it.

All-in-all, I would recommend this book to fans of thrillers who want something fairly fast paced and exciting. I would probably recommend trying to read this rather than listening to the audiobook, though. It was enjoyable, but probably would have been less confusing in parts had I been reading the book instead. ( )
  TheGrandWorldofBooks | Jul 27, 2016 |

Marcus Sakeyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
ten Berge, JeroenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the three amazing women in my life: My mother, Sally  My wife, g.g.  My daughter, Jocelyn  Never was a man so lucky.
The radio host had said there was a war coming, said it like he was looking forward to it, and Cooper, coatless and chilly in the desert evening, was thinking that the radio man was an asshole.

In Wyoming, a little girl reads people’s darkest secrets by the way they fold their arms. In New York, a man sensing patterns in the stock market racks up $300 billion. In Chicago, a woman can go invisible by being where no one is looking. They’re called “brilliants,” and since 1980, one percent of people have been born this way. Nick Cooper is among them; a federal agent, Cooper has gifts rendering him exceptional at hunting terrorists. His latest target may be the most dangerous man alive, a brilliant drenched in blood and intent on provoking civil war. But to catch him, Cooper will have to violate everything he believes in—and betray his own kind.

Nick Cooper, a federal agent, has gifts rendering him exceptional at hunting terrorists. His latest target may be the most dangerous man alive, a brilliant drenched in blood and intent on provoking civil war. But to catch him, Cooper will have to violate everything he believes in--and betray his own kind.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,064,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible