Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Night Watch by Sarah Waters

The Night Watch (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Sarah Waters

Member:GLBTRT
Title:The Night Watch
Authors:Sarah Waters
Info:Riverhead Trade (2006), Edition: X, Paperback, 544 pages
Tags:GLBTRT, Stonewall Book Awards, Stonewall Honor Books in Literature, 2007

The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (2006)

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters (withwill)
    Fault Lines by Nancy Huston (jayne_charles)
    jayne_charles: Both employ reverse chronology to tell a story with its roots in WWII
    The Very Thought of You by Rosie Alison (mrstreme)
    The Postmistress by Sarah Blake (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: both have female protagonists and are about the London Blitz during WWII

English (105)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (3)  French (1)  All languages (112)
I read this book for my bookgroup. I'm so glad that it was for my bookgroup because I probably would have given up otherwise. I have previously read Fingersmith and The Little Stranger also by Sarah Waters. I really liked them both. I found the 1947 section confusing. You are just dropped into these people's lives without any background. I had difficulty keeping track of the the characters and how they connected. Once I read to the 1944 section things began to make sense. I loved the way in which the characters had connections with each other. The descriptions of 1940's wartime London really made you feel like you were there. The characters were all flawed-but so human. When I finished the book I immediately went back to the first section and read it again to catch all the things I missed. I can't wait to discuss this with my book group this week. I know that this is probably not the book for everyone, but I loved it. ( )
  erica471 | Jan 5, 2014 |
Confused the heck out of me. Unlikeable characters smoking outside their office, remembering war, then it's wartime and havoc and I have no idea what the heck is going on.
Not my cup of tea ( )
  Strawberryga | Dec 28, 2013 |
Well written but too slow moving. The stories didn't pull me in enough and felt somewhat contrived. ( )
  anotherLondoner | Sep 24, 2013 |
A very good read. There are five main characters, and their lives are layered together before, during, and after the bombing of London in World War II. The novel works backwards, with each section moving the reader a few more years into the past, and this probably wouldn’t work so well in the hands of a less able writer. In most novels, we are told about the characters’ backgrounds, but in this novel, we live it.

The most interesting of the main characters is Kay, an androgynous ambulance driver during the Blitz. She holds herself aloof from the reader in the beginning, so it takes a while to get her story, but she is the one whose passion shakes you. Her lover Helen is not as sympathetic, but is realistically drawn, as we watch her becoming obsessed with another woman. Two other interwoven plots underline the theme of connection and disconnection.

Waters is really good at atmosphere, and she’s captured the fatalism and the many hungers that must have been part of being a Londoner during WWII. People live in small, dark spaces, and even the streets are claustrophic at night. Everyone seems a little hunted. And when it’s over, it’s not really over.
1 vote astrologerjenny | Apr 24, 2013 |
I had a hard time deciding between 3 and 4 stars. Everything felt so real and the characters so different they actually felt like people I related to - but it did take me a while to get into this one. Mostly I just kept thinking ah lesbians, how fickle you are. ( )
  E.J | Apr 3, 2013 |

Wilson, GabrieleCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zulaika, JaimeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Сафронова, АлександраTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lucy Vaughan
So this, said Kay to herself, is the sort of person you've become: a person whose clocks and wrist-watches have stopped, and who tells the time, instead, by the particular kind of cripple arriving at her landlord's door.
"But, isn't it funny -- we never seem to love the people we ought to."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159448905X, Hardcover)

Sarah Waters, whose works set in Victorian England have awards and acclaim and have reinvigorated the genres of both historical and lesbian fiction, returns with novel that marks a departure from nineteenth century and a spectacular leap forward in the career of this masterful storyteller.

Moving back through the 1940s, through air raids, blacked-out streets, illicit liasons, and sexual adventure, to end with its beginning in 1941, The Night Watch tells the story of Londoners: three women and a young man with a past-whose lives, and those of their friends and lovers, connect in ways that are surprising not always known to them. In wartime London, the women work-as ambulance drivers, ministry clerks, and building inspectors. There are feats of heroism, epic and quotidian, and tragedies both enormous and personal, but the emotional interiors of her characters that Waters captures with absolute and intimacy.

Waters describes with perfect knowingness the taut composure of a rescue worker in the aftermath of a bombing, the idle longing of a young woman her soldier lover, the peculiar thrill convict watching the sky ignite through the bars on his window, the hunger a woman stalking the streets for encounter, and the panic of another who sees her love affair coming end. At the same time, Waters is absolute control of a narrative that offers up subtle surprises and exquisite twists, even as it depicts the impact grand historical event on individual lives.

Tender, tragic, and beautifully poignant, The Night Watch is a towering achievement that confirms its author as "one of the best storytellers alive today" (Independent on Sunday).

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:39 -0400)

Set in 1940s London, this story follows four characters - Kay, Helen, Viv and Duncan - as they deal with their everyday lives, set against the backdrop of World War Two.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,706,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible