The Night Watch by Sarah Waters

The Night Watch (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Sarah Waters

3,5181331,506 (3.68)1 / 527
Member:GLBTRT
Title:The Night Watch
Authors:Sarah Waters
Info:Riverhead Trade (2006), Edition: X, Paperback, 544 pages
Tags:GLBTRT, Stonewall Book Awards, Stonewall Honor Books in Literature, 2007

The Night Watch by Sarah Waters (2006)

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters (withwill)
    Fault Lines by Nancy Huston (jayne_charles)
    jayne_charles: Both employ reverse chronology to tell a story with its roots in WWII
    The Very Thought of You by Rosie Alison (mrstreme)
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (ebr_aumkw, kgriffith)
    The Postmistress by Sarah Blake (kiwiflowa)
    kiwiflowa: both have female protagonists and are about the London Blitz during WWII

English (126)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (133)
I didn't find this book as interesting as other reviewers. It's kind of bland at the beginning and then it starts going backwards. First it's set in 1947 and then part 2 is 1944 and part 3 is 1940. I find when books go backwards it can be a little confusing and I really didn't care for this to happen in this book. The section on 1947 was okay and part 2 was a little better but it slightly confused me and I had to go back to the first section to check a few things out. I had to force myself to finish the book though. I found it boring and didn't hold my attention too well. I did enjoy the part about the bombings and what went on with the war and the ambulances but I've read that information in other books. As my sister says why waste your time on a bad book when you wouldn't waste your time on a bad movie. I'm not saying this is bad but I do wish I hadn't wasted my time on it. I've read many books a lot better than this one that covers WWII. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
'as if one's grief is a fallen house and one has to pick one's way over the rubble to the other side', 20 May 2012
By
sally tarbox

This review is from: The Night Watch (Paperback)
Quite a gripping tale of linked characters; it opens in 1947 and we meet masculine Kay, strolling through London, seeming to have lost her purpose in life...rather odd Duncan, living with his uncle and working in a factory with a group of apparently slightly disabled people...Helen and Viv running a marriage bureau. I was immediately drawn in to wanting to know their histories.

Waters works back in time; the centre of the book is 1944; the short finale 1941. The writing style put me somewhat in mind of Monica Dickens, and the world of the blitz is brilliantly evoked. All the characters are well drawn- I particularly felt the peripheral character Mickey to be really convincing.
Utterly enjoyable read. ( )
  starbox | Jul 9, 2016 |
This was my first novel by Waters, and it won’t be my last. Waters' writing immerses you into the time where the novel is set, her attention to detail draws you into the story in a way that only a skillful writer can. I loved the character development of this book, and I enjoyed reflecting upon how beautifully she wove four people’s lives together during WWII. ( )
  kristi_test_05 | Jun 20, 2016 |
Juanita McMahon's narration really is outstanding - she does all the voices with considerable insight, and I'll remember Giggs pleas to the German bombers to drop one on the prison for sometime. ( )
  peterbrown | Jun 19, 2016 |

Wilson, GabrieleCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zulaika, JaimeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Сафронова, АлександраTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lucy Vaughan
So this, said Kay to herself, is the sort of person you've become: a person whose clocks and wrist-watches have stopped, and who tells the time, instead, by the particular kind of cripple arriving at her landlord's door.
"But, isn't it funny -- we never seem to love the people we ought to."

The book under this ISBN is by Sergei Lukyanenko. Please do not combine it with the one by Sarah Waters.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159448905X, Hardcover)

Sarah Waters, whose works set in Victorian England have awards and acclaim and have reinvigorated the genres of both historical and lesbian fiction, returns with novel that marks a departure from nineteenth century and a spectacular leap forward in the career of this masterful storyteller.

Moving back through the 1940s, through air raids, blacked-out streets, illicit liasons, and sexual adventure, to end with its beginning in 1941, The Night Watch tells the story of Londoners: three women and a young man with a past-whose lives, and those of their friends and lovers, connect in ways that are surprising not always known to them. In wartime London, the women work-as ambulance drivers, ministry clerks, and building inspectors. There are feats of heroism, epic and quotidian, and tragedies both enormous and personal, but the emotional interiors of her characters that Waters captures with absolute and intimacy.

Waters describes with perfect knowingness the taut composure of a rescue worker in the aftermath of a bombing, the idle longing of a young woman her soldier lover, the peculiar thrill convict watching the sky ignite through the bars on his window, the hunger a woman stalking the streets for encounter, and the panic of another who sees her love affair coming end. At the same time, Waters is absolute control of a narrative that offers up subtle surprises and exquisite twists, even as it depicts the impact grand historical event on individual lives.

Tender, tragic, and beautifully poignant, The Night Watch is a towering achievement that confirms its author as "one of the best storytellers alive today" (Independent on Sunday).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:00 -0400)

Set in 1940s London, this story follows four characters - Kay, Helen, Viv and Duncan - as they deal with their everyday lives, set against the backdrop of World War Two.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,639,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible