25 Perfect Days by Mark Tullius

25 Perfect Days

by Mark Tullius

A fast-paced dystopian set in a future where a religious cult and the government are in cahoots and control the world (or at least North America). Written as a series of vignettes, each one taking place further and further into the future. The stories contain some of the same people and generations of the same families with the book beginning at the start of this cult becoming popular and ending with a completely totalitarian society and an underground movement set to take it down. Because of the episodic nature of each chapter the book has no character development nor characters who stay around long enough to become attached to so that is one thing I missed as I am a character driven reader. However, it's a unique device to tell a story and I was well invested in this nightmarish dystopia which had many possibilities that could become realities if present day society continues on its present course. Of course, there are many far-fetched elements also but altogether it presents a plausible, frightening look into a bleak dictatorial future where one power controls the people's lives. The book was well-written and a page-turner. I'd read more from the author. ( )
  ElizaJane | May 1, 2016 |
ABR's full 25 Perfect Days audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

First thoughts about the cover of 25 Perfect Days? That is a huge tunnel, the buildings in the background look like they are falling apart, and there is a huge cross with a black bird on it. Interesting. Black birds are said to be bad luck for some. Uh oh… Is that family doomed already!?

I wish I could pin-point a main character for this story, or even a few, but I cannot. There are lots of characters, lots of mini stories for each, and they all are weirdly connected. For the majority of the story most of the characters did not seem to fit into any pattern together other than living in a horrible society. It wasn’t till I was nearing the end that they seemed to tie in, to fit. I was more than a little confused for the majority of this book till I hit the end.

Over all, the Controllers are the antagonists for the majority of the story. They are there from a church called The Way. Imagine voting in a law that gave up control of laws, rules, people, everything to a single ruling party. That party is called The Way, which is supposedly a church. But they run on the bases of what’s good for the church is the end all be all. Take away more freedoms little by little, add in death for the greater good, death for minor rule breaking, and an underground rebellion trying to fight for their rights to simply survive.

The narrator is Dave Thompson. I enjoyed the easy flow of his voice. He helped bring the highs and lows to each character. It is because of his voice that I continued listening to this book even after it confused me with several different storyline tie ins. The author is Mark Tullius. The book is 7hrs and 37 minutes long. This is a very violent dystopian story. It shows a great point-of-view on how society crumbles little by little when people give up control. It perfectly shows how absolute power corrupts absolutely.

This book left me with the knowledge that I would not willingly give up my rights. No one, not even a governing body, should be allowed to control every aspect of people’s lives. It is our rights to always keep those in power in check. “Nothing strengthens authority so much as silence.” – Lenardo da Vinci.

Audiobook provided for review by the publisher. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Jan 20, 2015 |
I can't remember why I originally requested this. I think I was originally drawn by the idea of the twenty-five interlocking stories. There's plenty of dystopia out there, but this seemed like it could be a new way of looking at the idea -- new by way of a different structure, if not in terms of ideas. In the end, it didn't come together for me: the eARC I downloaded was badly formatted, which didn't help, but editing seemed weak and the writing wasn't anything special.

I'm normally pretty demanding of short stories, so perhaps it's not particularly surprising that ultimately I was unimpressed. It lacked polish, really, and that combined with the fact that there was nothing particularly unique in these stories meant I struggled to finish it, even skimming it. I still like the idea of the structure, but it didn't work here. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 16, 2014 |
What a wild ride! 25 Perfect Days was brilliantly written to include the viewpoint of various characters across time without returning to the same character’s perspective, yet characters interacting at surprising cross roads. Mark Tullius, keep writing and I’ll keep reading! I received this book from Library Thing to read and review. ( )
  mdhallauer | Sep 6, 2013 |
1/2 star, only because you can't register 0 stars on LT. It's rare when I can't find a single thing I like about a book so I can talk about that, but unfortunately I struggled to find it in this book. I generally don't write all-bad or scathing reviews, but I found myself not able to escape it this time.

25 Perfect Days is a collection of 25 short stories interconnected by a cast of characters as we travel from 2036 to 2076, on the journey through the rise of the religious state in the USA, with it’s (maybe) eventual downfall. A dystopian, near-future story, author Mark Tullius attempts to examine issues such as population control, food shortages, radical religion, taxing, and health care.

While reading, and then as I finished, 25 Perfect Days, I struggled to come up with that redeeming quality. Even as I sat and pondered what I was going to say about this particular book after finishing it, I’m at a loss.

Let me elaborate, and let’s start with the world.

The important thing to do with creating a world for the purpose of any speculative fiction work is to give us the rules and boundaries of this world so the readers aren’t flailing around, with no idea for motivation.

Full review here: http://populuxe.ca/blog/?p=635 ( )
  xitomatl | Sep 1, 2013 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Mark Tullius's book 25 Perfect Days - Advance Copy was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Mark Tullius is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,431,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible