Serendipity's Tide by L. Shelby

Serendipity's Tide

by L. Shelby

This book was great! I enjoyed the intelligent, courageous, and heroine and lots of adventure. This book also has some romance. I think the author is a very smart writer. I would not have picked this book up on Amazon just because the cover was something that, just at a glance, didn’t jump out at me. But as they say “don’t judge a book by it’s cover”, this book was great and I’m glad I got a chance to read it. * This book was given to me from the author in exchange for an honest review* ( )
  Aly3636 | Feb 26, 2015 |
Serendipity's Tale is a great YA romance with adventure. This is a very fast paced book and it isn't to explicit. ( )
  HeatherBennett32 | Apr 8, 2014 |
Fun, first of a series with a bit of an abrupt ending, it is nevertheless a well crafted story that's quite difficult to characterise. Part YA romance, part adventure, almost a comedy of manners, yet set in a fantasy world, without magic or anything unusal, but clearly not earth. There are cruiseliners, and machine guns, so kind of seventies feel to it maybe. I don't know how well this will work for the clearly target audience of teenagers. The plot is breakneck frantic rushing from one scene to the next, skipping over days if nothing exciting is happening.

The basic premise is that Baitha, is a young girl from a working class but respectable agricultural part of a modern country. Being somewhat of a tomboy she has been allowed by her family to become an engineer and is working her first passage as part of the engine crew. The passengers are all 'burgies' by her dialect, upper class citizens of wealth and money but not necessarily class. Everythign she knows changes however when the liner stops to pick up some castaways, and she suddenly finds herself adrift with a handsome but strong willed and self-controlled stranger.

I did enjoy it - but it wasn't quite to my taste in few areas. The romance is quite light, but there's an awful lot of it. Even though Baita is quite level headed and doesn't understand any of that 'moon-eyed stuff'. She is quite possibly the least romantic lead heroine ever, but it still gets in the way sometimes.There's nothing explicit, but an awful lot of unbuttoning. I did enjoy her resolute practicality. The pacing seemed too fast throughout, there wasn't much exploration fo the characters or the world, or even just the situations they found themselves in, just action bang bang bang. I never quite a had a feel for the ships or the details of the engines that Baita spent so much time in - it certainly isn't a steampunk novel.

But generally lighthearted fun, and fast. I have the rest of the series so it will intruiging to see what happens next. ( )
  reading_fox | Mar 27, 2014 |
I wasn't sure if the assignment to work the winch that hoisted the jerry-boat up to the main deck of the Empress Katronika was a compliment or an attempt at persecution.

Batiya is the only female engineer on her world's first deisel-powered ocean liner.  Chunru is a shipwrecked foreigner she helped pull out of the ocean. Unfortunately, his ship sinking was no accident: someone's trying to kill him.  And because of Batiya tries help him, she nearly gets killed herself.  But although Chunru didn't have a lot to say about who he was or why he's got assassins after him, he was willing to trade his life for hers, so Batiya is determined to deliver him safely to his destination.

This is an adventure/romance story set in a world that is very similar to ours, only with different geography and history. The technology is roughly equivalent to the 1920s, and there is no magic.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

L. Shelby's book Serendipity's Tide was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

L. Shelby is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,976,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible