dismiss

A Bride for Keeps: A novel by Melissa…

A Bride for Keeps: A novel (edition 2013)

by Melissa Jagears

"After three failed attempts, Everett Cline is not happy when another--uninvited--mail-order bride steps off the train in his Kansas farming community. But is she the wife he's been waiting for?"--
Member:anabernathy
Title:A Bride for Keeps: A novel
Authors:Melissa Jagears
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2013), Paperback, 336 pages

Bride for Keeps, A: A novel by Melissa Jagears

Lending

Checked out 2016-09-29 — Due 2016-10-13 — Overdue

Everett Cline has been jilted quite a few times in his life, so when his friend set him up with yet another mail-order bride, his is not a happy camper. Julia Lockwood finds herself in Kansas as a last resort, being set up with a man she has never had contact with, but who needs to flee the East and the heartache there. These two will try to live together and I must say Everett has a hard road ahead of him, trying to get Julia to understand that not everyone wants her just for her pretty face. She has A LOT of issues to deal with in her life. I felt for each of them and wanted them both to find happiness and love, but it will take the whole book to finally get them to a place where God can do the work no man could ever do.

I enjoyed this author and look forward to reading the next two books in this series. I am a big fan of mail-order bride books, and although this one was slightly different, it was most enjoyable. You should read the Novella, "Love by the Letter" before this book as it gives you a background on Everett and is about Rachel and Dex in this story. ( )
  judyg54 | Jun 10, 2019 |
If you like sweet Christian, Western Romance, you will like this story. I really enjoyed the First story Love by the Letter. I enjoyed seeing the characters Dex and Rachel again and how well their life had turned out. I had a little problem with the two main characters to this story. They both had secrets that they were keeping from each other. I understand the author wanting to add a little conflict to the story. But it just seemed like the dishonesty or omission of the truth was not a needed thing. All in all I enjoyed the book. ( )
  Sandralb | Oct 31, 2017 |
A beautiful story of God's unconditional love portrayed through the relationship between a farmer and his mail-order bride.

Everett has been jilted by so many mail order brides, he's afraid the one he's finally married will leave him if he gives her his heart.

Convinced her pretty face is a curse, Julia is running from her past. She finds a safe, but lonely refuge as Everett's wife. Her past will keep her from her future if she's not willing to let go and trust God and her husband.

Can they overcome obstacles to their love before their fears tear them apart forever?

I love Melissa's author voice. This book read so smoothly, I could have finished it in one sitting, but decided to stretch it out and enjoy it as long as I could. Still, I read to the end in three days. A pure joy to read, this book is on my keeper shelf. Can't wait for more from this author. ( )
  NatalieMonk | Jul 3, 2017 |

I was interested in this book more because of the author than the genre or period setting which is frankly not my favourite. This is one reason for the perhaps slightly lower-than-otherwise rating. Nothing personal at all, it’s just that late 19th century America is not a setting that that I really go in for, it’s not familiar to me and doesn’t have the same attraction as others. Hence, I’m at something of a loss to understand some of the terms used for everyday items by the characters. Though I could have looked them up….

That said, A Bride for Keeps was a good story which I enjoyed. Given the common setting and the book being romantic fiction, at could have been all too easy for it to fall into the trap of being ‘more of the same’ alongside a lot of other such novels out there. Yet on the whole, I was impressed. It could be a clichéd in places,, but not overly so in my opinion, nor did it seem to be crammed full of ‘fluffy’ romance, addressing instead some deeper issues such as the basis of Christian marriage, and the characters’ inner struggles. Yes, the happy ending was inevitable, but the process was quite interesting and worthwhile.

There is a gospel presentation of sorts, which some people might regard as ‘preaching’, but to me it didn’t come as self-righteous or pompous, nor the characters discussing spiritual matters as so many platitudes. Rather, their faith seemed more real, and their lessons drawn from life experience.

All in all, I think the author has done a good job of taking what were, at the simplest level, some fairly basic and oft-used devices, like a hurting protagonist with issues, and a marriage of convenience, and made from them a memorable and quite engaging story that seemed to rather stand out from the crowd. I would happily recommend, and am personally interested in reading the prequel novella Love by the Letter.

Thanks to Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for a review. All opinions expressed are my own and I was not required to write a positive one.
  Medievalgirl | Oct 4, 2016 |
Good story although predictable and repetitive at times. ( )
  StephLaymon | Jan 26, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Melissa Jagears's book A Bride for Keeps was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Melissa Jagears is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,653,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible