The Attacking Ocean: The Past, Present, and…

The Attacking Ocean: The Past, Present, and Future of Rising Sea Levels (2013)

by Brian Fagan, Brian M. Fagan

It told me what I wanted to know, although I will admit, I dozed off more than once while reading the first half of the book. I had no problem staying awake through the second half, though. My super-short synopsis is: Sea levels have risen before, but there have never been so many millions of people living in permanent communities so close to the water, and the outlook is not good. ( )
  SylviaC | Nov 24, 2015 |
An interesting archeological perspective on climate change, its effect on sea levels and the consequent effect on human civilizations. Makes one think about what the current changing climate will mean for the present world. ( )
  joefreedom | Dec 28, 2013 |

Brian Faganprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fagan, Brian M.main authorall editionsconfirmed
It came to the megacity at dusk, deceptively and unequally . . . In the lowlands, near the seashores, the harbors, the bays, the Sound, the river: apocalypse. The very ocean rose, tsunami-like, relentless, terrifying, bringing devastation by flood and wind and wind-shipped fire, and for some ten million people in a swath a thousand miles wide and encompassing sixteen states, darkness and dread.

—Hendrik Herzberg on Hurricane Sandy,
The New Yorker, November 12, 2012

Atticus Catticus Cattamore Mooose

A splendid beast who did everything he could to stop this book being wrtten by dancing on the keyboard at inopportune montents.
And he never has to worry about sea levels.
Almost all my life, I've lived by the sea.

A history of climate change describes the dramatic evolution and stabilization of the oceans before the rise of humans approximately 6,000 years ago, tracing a significant rise in global temperatures since 1860 and how a rising sea level is affecting world populations. By the best-selling author of The Great Warming.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,849,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible