Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and…

David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants

by Malcolm Gladwell

Underdog: How One Man Turned Hollywood Rejection into the Worldwide Phenomenon of Benji by Joe Camp (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: David and Goliath explores the ways in which underdogs may succeed, while Underdog relates the experiences of one entrepreneur who converted his outsider status into a series of financially successful movies.

English (87)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (89)
I usually enjoy this authors books. This one however I thought was rather sloppily researched. There were too many things based on anecdote. Disappointing. ( )
  Jandrew74 | May 26, 2019 |
In David and Goliath Gladwell does an excellent job of describing a number of misconceptions we've accepted as truth, and details studies, reasons and theories showing these beliefs are not true.

I felt that Gladwell chose random subjects to question and test. I think I would rather have read about one or two topics instead. And felt he could have layed it out differently, i.e. all the misconceptions first,and all the explanations and revelations at the end.

I did learn much and hope to read more of Gladwell.
  Bookish59 | May 19, 2019 |
Rubbish. Simply rubbish. There are some good anecdotes there but they in no way support the hypothesis he proposes at the start which is confused and meaningless anyway. He tells a good story, but I'm more convinced than ever that Malcolm Gladwell is an idiot. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Typical of Gladwell, he refers back to the earlier stories/people in the book too often. It's like he's REALLY trying to drive home his central premise when he needs to just do one sum-up at the end.

Some stories were good, some didn't make sense in his central premise, and one really bothered me.
He makes the point that prospective scientists/engineers drop out (into another major) if they're in the bottom 1/3 of their class, whether they are at a top school like MIT (thus with top grades coming in) or at a state school, because of feeling like a failure relative to your peers. His point is that if you want to get a STEM degree, you should go to a school where you will be the best or (even if you're really smart) you might get a degree you don't want. But he just acts like the difficulty of a chemistry class at a state school is the same as MIT. It's just NOT. Going to a more elite school means more difficult classes, and those bottom students aren't failing because they feel inferior they are failing because they aren't up to the harder coursework. An MIT-educated scientist/engineer is just not the same as a University of Maryland-educated one, and we shouldn't pretend that they are. If you really want to be a scientist engineer and worry that you can't hack it at a really good school, go somewhere slightly easier and be a scientist/engineer - but don't blame it on the relative inferiority complex from the tough school, admit you couldn't hack it. ( )
  eraderneely | Feb 14, 2019 |
Great read, interesting ideas, which I've come to expect from Gladwell. I feel the book lost something toward the end; maybe it was just reiterating previously explained concepts through additional stories rather than presenting more new concepts. Not my favorite Gladwell book, but worth the read and a good follow-up to Outliers. ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |

Gladwell, MalcolmAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elixir DesignCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gladwell, MalcolmNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
But the Lord said to Samuel, "Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for the Lord does not see as mortals see; they look on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart."
—1 Samuel 16:7
For A. L. and for S. F., a real underdog
At the heart of ancient Palestine is the region known as the Shephelah, a series of ridges and valleys connecting the Judaean Mountains to the east with the wide, flat expanse of the Mediterranean plain.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316204366, Hardcover)

Malcolm Gladwell, the #1 bestselling author of The Tipping Point, Blink, Outliers, and What the Dog Saw, offers his most provocative--and dazzling--book yet.

We all know that underdogs can win-that's what the David versus Goliath legend tells us, and we've seen it with our own eyes. Or have we? In DAVID AND GOLIATH, Malcolm Gladwell, with his unparalleled ability to grasp connections others miss, uncovers the hidden rules that shape the balance between the weak and the mighty, the powerful and the dispossessed. Gladwell examines the battlefields of Northern Ireland and Vietnam, takes us into the minds of cancer researchers and civil rights leaders, and digs into the dynamics of successful and unsuccessful classrooms-all in an attempt to demonstrate how fundamentally we misunderstand the true meaning of advantages and disadvantages. When is a traumatic childhood a good thing? When does a disability leave someone better off? Do you really want your child to go to the best school he or she can get into? Why are the childhoods of people at the top of one profession after another marked by deprivation and struggle?

Drawing upon psychology, history, science, business, and politics, DAVID AND GOLIATH is a beautifully written book about the mighty leverage of the unconventional. Millions of readers have been waiting for the next Malcolm Gladwell book. That wait is over.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:42 -0400)

Uncovers the hidden rules that shape the balance between the weak and the mighty and the powerful and the dispossessed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,497,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible