West Side Story by Irving Shulman

West Side Story (original 1960; edition 1990)

by Irving Shulman

Member:Georgiedarme
Title:West Side Story
Authors:Irving Shulman
Info:Pocket Books (1990), Mass Market Paperback, 160 pages

West Side Story: A Novelization by Irving Shulman (1960)

3.5 stars. (Why is there no half star rating?!)
This is the first play I've ever read, and I liked it a lot. The only thing that I didn't like much was the instantaneous falling in love between Tony and Maria, but I can be a bit cynical when it comes to romance, so maybe I should just lighten up. ;)

Some highlights:
"They had more here in New York, more of everything, even of hatred; and to be rid of the latter Maria would have given up everything else and returned to Puerto Rico because she believed it was wrong to hate. She didn't want to hate when it was so much more wonderful, joyous, to love." Chap. 1 Pg. 30

"It was a feeling of discontent at the nagging sense of inferiority that even leading the Jets couldn't erase. He was ignorant, knew nothing, and all the big-man-in-the-world talk wasn't going to change it. Sure he was cool, but so was a cake of ice, and what did it know? Nothing. He was ignorant. And the way he was going he'd always be ignorant. There had to be something more than this." Chap. 2 Pg. 58

"'He fills my eyes with stars until I'm blind.'" - Chap. 3, Pg. 73

"'Look, fellows, just stayin' alive gives me all the trouble I can stand. So don't give me anymore.'" Chap. 5 Pg. 122 ( )
  jynxmecrazie | Jul 15, 2018 |

Irving Shulmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Laurents, Arthurmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Riff Lorton looked at the wristwatch he had rolled off a drunk the week before, saw it was about nine o' clock, and groaned because most of the night was still ahead.

Tony and Maria find their love threatened by the hatred of two rival New York street gangs

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,122,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible