The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists…

The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists (The Pirates! 1) (original 2004; edition 2012)

by Gideon Defoe (Author)

Member:elliepotten
Title:The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists (The Pirates! 1)
Authors:Gideon Defoe (Author)
Info:Bloomsbury Paperbacks (2012), Edition: New Edition, Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, humour, fantasy, pirates, science, adapted for the screen, from Hanna

The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists by Gideon Defoe (2004)

The Time Machine Did It by John Swartzwelder (gtown)
    gtown: The plots aren't similar at all, but both authors write with a similarly twisted, absurd sense of humor.
    Piratica: Being a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure Upon the High Seas by Tanith Lee (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both of these books have the same silly, adventurous feel to them.
    The Portable Door by Tom Holt (Othemts)

I didn't get it, I feel very old....
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
A cute little book on pirates. I didn't find it hilarious but it kept me amused enough that I finished it in one sitting.

The story centers around the Pirate Captain (with the most amazing beard) and crew and their next adventure. What makes the story comical is the fact that none of the pirates, including the Pirate Captain, have any names. They are usually referred to by some distinguishing character: the pirate with a scarf, the pirate in green, the pirate with a hook where his hand should be.

But, make no assumptions, although the names do evoke a chuckle from the reader, these are pirates. They do plunder, loot and kill.

No, you can't compare this to Moby Dick but if you like pirates and want a chuckle to start off your day this is the book to read. ( )
  NancyNo5 | Jan 5, 2014 |
This book is about a pirate crew seeking adventure when they come across Charles Darwin near the Galapagos Islands. The Pirates! in an Adventure with Scientists is an hilarious novel that deals with the weighty issue of science versus religion whilst also featuring lots of roaring, running people through with cutlasses and other piratey things! I picked this one up in the library on a whim because I felt like I recognised the title and after looking it up online found that I'd seen the trailer for the Nick Park film adaptation!

This book is a very lighthearted action-adventure story and is hilarious to read. The author has written in hilarious characters and events, and this humour is also present in the presentation of the book itself; on the flap on the inside of the back cover it says that Gideon Defoe wrote this book about pirates "to impress a girl". This seems similar to what some of the characters in the book might do so I found this quite funny.

The plot did not need much detail and intensity as this is a very lighthearted novel. The pacing was great and easy to read, with just enough action to make it a believable pirate adventure.

The characters were my favourite aspect of this book. I liked how none of the pirates had names, and they were just referred to as aspects of their appearance, such as 'the pirate in green' or 'the pirate with the scarf'. Each one was funny in their own right and added to the overall humourous atmosphere of the plot. Even the antagonist would say something occasionally funny. I also liked that these pirates were unlike their usual stereotype in that they had manners and were slightly more educated than is expected.

The writing, as I have previously said, was paced beautifully so there was never a dull moment and the language itself was quite simple which lent itself well to such a quick read.

Overall I would give The Pirates! in and Adventure with Scientists, 5 out of 5 stars as I found it a very enjoyable read and I will definitely be looking to read the rest of this series by Gideon Defoe. ( )
  charlottejones952 | Sep 2, 2013 |
A smug and irritating book. Really didn't like this one at all. ( )
  Bill_Bibliomane | Aug 1, 2013 |
Oddly, I agree with Will that, aside from a few good pirate puns, this book is pretty lame. I say oddly, because Will is a young guy and I thought that might be who this book might appeal to.

There is a blurb from Eric Idle on the front cover and the book does probably contain enough material for a Monte Python skit.

The back flap says that the author wrote the book to convince a girl to leave her boyfriend for him. It didn't work and I'm not surprised. What does surprise me is that Pantheon Books, a division of Random House, actually published this book. Clare Paterson must be one hell of an agent. ( )
  R0BIN | Apr 27, 2013 |

Gideon Defoeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sophie,
who has a quarter of a million pounds
'The best bit about being a pirate,' said the pirate with gout, 'is the looting.'

Not since Moby-Dick...No, not since Treasure Island...Actually, not since Jonah and the Whale has there been a sea saga to rival The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists, featuring the greatest sea-faring hero of all time, the immortal Pirate Captain, who, although he lives for months at a time at sea, somehow manages to keep his beard silky and in good condition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:55 -0400)

"Not since Moby-Dick...No, not since Treasure Island...Actually, not since Jonah and the Whale has there been a sea saga to rival The Pirates! In An Adventure with Scientists, featuring the greatest seafaring hero of all time, the immortal Pirate Captain, who, although he lives for months at a time at sea, somehow manages to keep his beard silky and in good condition." "Worried that his pirates are growing bored with a life of winking at pretty native ladies and trying to stick enough jellyfish together to make a bouncy castle, the Pirate Captain decides it's high time to spearhead an adventure." "While searching for some major pirate booty, he mistakenly attacks the young Charles Darwin's Beagle and then leads his ragtag crew from the exotic Galapagos Islands to the fog-filled streets of Victorian London. There they encounter grisly murder, vanishing ladies, radioactive elephants, and the Holy Ghost himself. And that's not even the half of it."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,286,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible