dismiss

24/7: Late Capitalism and the Ends of Sleep…

24/7: Late Capitalism and the Ends of Sleep (edition 2013)

by Jonathan Crary (Author)

24/7 explores some of the ruinous consequences of the expanding, non-stop processes of twenty-first-century capitalism. The marketplace now operates twenty-four hours of every day and demands our constant activity, eroding forms of community, political expression, and the fabric of everyday life. Jonathan Crary examines the way this interminable non-time blurs any separation between an intensified, ubiquitous consumerism and the strategies of control and surveillance. He argues that human sleep and dreaming provide exemplary, if elusive, models for other thresholds at which society might defend or protect itself. 'A dark, brilliant book' Michael Hardt 'Crary is the historian-philosopher of our spectacle lives' Artforum… (more)
Member:lolibrarian
Title:24/7: Late Capitalism and the Ends of Sleep
Authors:Jonathan Crary (Author)
Info:Verso (2013), Edition: 1, 145 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:2020

24/7: Late Capitalism and the Ends of Sleep by Jonathan Crary

English (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (3)
I wish I'd read the blurb more carefully before buying this book. Now I see that the author is a professor of modern art and theory which rather explains what I dislike about it and I feel much better abandoning it.

The first 47 pages are chock full of apparently empirical hypothesis which are not supported by evidence or tested by experiment but asserted by theorists of various stripes. That some of these claims come in for criticism (e.g. the revolutionary-ness of certain technological developments like mobiles with small screens) and others don't (e.g. various identifications of sleep, darkness, insomnia, etc. with assorted social, cultural, and theoretical phenomena) seems to be a matter of taste.

With the amount of ink the author devotes to the horrors of information and communication technologies I would *love* to know what he would make of that pre-mobile photo of a bus full of commuters all engrossed in newspapers that makes the rounds on Twitter and Facebook every few months.

In any case, I've wasted enough time on this; abandoned. ( )
  thsutton | May 18, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,810,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible