The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories…

The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Susanna Clarke

Member:Shacco
Title:The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories
Authors:Susanna Clarke
Info:Bloomsbury USA (2007), Painos: 1st, Paperback, 256 sivua

The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke (2006)

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (billiecat, celtic)
    Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman (Larkken)
    Larkken: The short stories contained in each anthology have a similar feel, and both, to some degree, play with traditional fairy tale themes. Clarke's novel benefits from reading her debut novel, as this collection is placed in the same world.
    The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany (billiecat)
    Irish Fairy and Folk Tales by W. B. Yeats (billiecat)
    Smith of Wootton Major by J. R. R. Tolkien (paradoxosalpha)
    Lud-In-The-Mist by Hope Mirrlees (Jannes)
    Jannes: A wonderful tale about elves, humans and the delicate balance between them, written in the same florid and fariy-tale-esque vein that both Dunsany and Clarke uses so effectively.
    Magic for Beginners by Kelly Link (jujuvail)
    Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)

English (89)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (91)
READ IN ENGLISH

I really enjoyed reading Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell as it was once of the books that surprised me in 2012. So, it was clear I wanted to read this book as well. I had actually been hoping on a full length sequel that could bring back the fantastic atmosphere from the book, but as that is not possible for now, I'm at least very happy with this set of lovely short stories, some of which are set in the same time as JS&MrN, but all are written is that same style that is so wonderful and impressive. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
I finally sat down with Clarke's second, the Ladies of Grace Adieu. I'm fairly certain I waited as long as I did because I was afraid I'd be disappointed. Because Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is one of my favorites.

And I kind of was and kind of was not. The short story collection definitely did not blow me away. But it was also really well done, really well written, well imagined. Each of the stories advances the world Clarke's created, or a version of the world. It feels almost like anecdotes that you might have heard told by characters from Jonathan Strange's world... fables, tales, stories.

The writing is, of course, immaculate. The story-telling is good.. great, even. The collection read quickly, and each story felt complete in its own right. I'm not sure what more I wanted, but it seems that I did want something more. When I was done, I felt it was sort of anti-climactic.

So, I would definitely recommend to Clarke fans and people who would be Clarke fans (but who just haven't had the good sense to read her yet ;)), but with the note that it is good, really good, great, but not as satisfying and fulfilling as Strange & Norrell...

Overall, FOUR of five stars. ( )
  avanders | Jul 18, 2014 |
Listened to this as an audio book--most enjoyable. I talked earlier on on LJ about three of the stories (discussion here). Of the remaining stories, I especially liked "Mr. Simonellie or The Fairy Widower," in which a man is most perspicacious in foiling a fairy (and, meantime, discovers he himself is half-fairy) and "Tom Brightwind or How the Fairy Bridge Was Built at Thoresby." The latter was interesting to me especially in how that bridge was actually built: the fairy Tom Brightwind undertakes to build it, but accomplishes the task by summoning all sorts of human laborers: an engineer, an architect, and workers--and having them actually create it. This as opposed to swirling the bridge together out of thin air. I found that very satisfying.

Very bemused by the lack of self-propelled and interesting fairy women. The human women--at least in The Ladies of Grace Adieu are quite lively, and both the human and fairy men are as active as you could wish, but the fairy women mainly just embroider.

Still and all, I did enjoy the collection very much. ( )
  FrancescaForrest | May 12, 2014 |

Still and all, I did enjoy the collection very much. ( )
  FrancescaForrest | May 12, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

I'm in agreement with all of the 5-star reviewers here. I'd just like to make a few points about why I love Susanna Clarke's writing, and I'll mention the audiobook:

* "The Duke of Wellington Misplaces his Horse" was a particularly delightful piece not only because it was so whimsical, but mainly because the main character is a real historical figure. One of the aspects of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell that I particularly enjoyed was Susanna Clarke's use of several historical events and people. She gives them personalities that are completely believable. Imagining The Duke of Wellington in this particular magical situation was highly entertaining.

* In addition to mentioning true history and geography, Ms Clarke's use of footnotes, introductions by the "editor," and fictional references to other works and theories about faerie give her world detail, background, and richness similar to Tolkien's Middle Earth. I read a lot of scholarly research, so I'm not easy to fool, but I certainly felt like I was reading someone's dissertation. An entertaining dissertation.

* I particularly appreciate Susanna Clarke's use of dry humor (the English do that so well, don't they?). If you're into Xanth, Ronan, Discworld, or The Belgariad, it may not be your thing, but to me, it's hilarious.

I listened to The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories on audiobook. I guess Susanna Clarke ranks high with her publisher because this book is read by two of the best readers in all of audiobook-dom: Simon Prebble and Davina Porter. Simon Prebble is up there with Simon Vance (who read Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander series) and comedian Lenny Henry (who read Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys). Davina Porter reads Marion Zimmer Bradley and Diana Gabaldon (and a lot of historical fiction) and I can't think of any female reader who's better than Davina Porter -- I could listen to her read accounting textbooks and be entertained for hours as long as she read each chapter in a different voice (and I bet she could). She's particularly good at Cockney.

We have only two major works by Susanna Clarke so far, but in my opinion, there is no better writer in all of fantasy fiction. For that matter, her prose is on level with those authors who we recognize as the greatest in all of literature. I hope there is much more coming from Susanna Clarke!

Read more Susanna Clarke book reviews at Fantasy Literature . ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
In the end, Ladies of Grace weaves a similar magic as Jonathan Strange, but perhaps the book is not magical enough.
added by Shortride | editBookmarks Magazine (Jan 1, 2007)

Whether it takes 10 months or 10 years to produce her next full-length work, Susanna Clarke is a better writer than this showcase would have you believe. Devotees and completist fans of Strange and Norrell will want to get their hands on this book, but the rest will probably want to wait.

They are uniformly clever and meticulously composed, knowledgeable of folk traditions while giving them a modern spin.

"Mr. Simonelli or the Fairy Widower" is the most authentically creepy story here. A tale of a fairy who kidnaps young women and consigns them to the direst conditions imaginable, it wanders into Stephen King territory, though without the overt gore. "John Uskglass and the Cambrian Charcoal Burner" is a perfectly constructed fable with a witty, judicious outcome.

Clarke, in following her 800-page bestseller with these short pieces, is engaged in an experiment, and it isn't entirely successful.

Susanna Clarkeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Faerie is never as far away as you think. Sometimes you find you have crossed an invisible line and must cope, as best you can, with petulant princesses, vengeful owls, ladies who pass their time embroidering terrible fates, or with endless paths in deep dark woods and houses that never appear the same way twice.

The heroines and heroes bedevilled by such problems in these fairy tales include a conceited Regency clergyman, an eighteenth-century Jewish doctor and Mary Queen of Scots, as well as two characters from Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell: Strange himself and the Raven King.
For my parents, Janet and Stuart Clarke
Introduction by Professor James Sutherland, Director of Sidhe Studies, University of Aberdeen:
I have approached this collection with two very modest aims in mind. The first is to throw some sort of light on the development of magic in the British Isles at different periods; the second is to introduce the reader to some of the ways in which Faerie can impinge upon our own quotidian world, in other words to create a sort of primer to Faerie and fairies.
Above all remember this: that magic belongs as much to the heart as to the head and everything which is done, should be done from love or joy or righteous anger.
Magic, madam, is like wine and, if you are not used to it, it will make you drunk.

"Susanna Clarke returns with an enchanting collection brimming with all the ingredients' of good fairy tales: petulant princesses, vengeful owls, ladies who pass their time in embroidering terrible fates, endless paths in deep, dark woods, and houses that never appear the same way twice. The heroines and heroes who must grapple with these problems include the Duke of Wellington, a conceited Regency clergyman, an eighteenth-century Jewish doctor, and Mary, Queen of Scots, as well as Jonathan Strange and the Raven King."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,491,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible