The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories…

The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Susanna Clarke

2,914None1,972 (3.86)155
Member:Shacco
Title:The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories
Authors:Susanna Clarke
Info:Bloomsbury USA (2007), Painos: 1st, Paperback, 256 sivua

The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke (2006)

Recently added byDejaVoo, rlangston, private library, tesskrose, m32446, Ms.Morgan, Kat_Hooper, ExpatTX, MissSos, micanopyan
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (billiecat, celtic)
    Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman (Larkken)
    Larkken: The short stories contained in each anthology have a similar feel, and both, to some degree, play with traditional fairy tale themes. Clarke's novel benefits from reading her debut novel, as this collection is placed in the same world.
    The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany (billiecat)
    Irish Fairy and Folk Tales by W. B. Yeats (billiecat)
    Smith of Wootton Major by J. R. R. Tolkien (paradoxosalpha)
    Lud-In-The-Mist by Hope Mirrlees (Jannes)
    Jannes: A wonderful tale about elves, humans and the delicate balance between them, written in the same florid and fariy-tale-esque vein that both Dunsany and Clarke uses so effectively.
    Magic for beginners by Kelly Link (jujuvail)
    Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander (norabelle414)

English (86)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (88)
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

I'm in agreement with all of the 5-star reviewers here. I'd just like to make a few points about why I love Susanna Clarke's writing, and I'll mention the audiobook:

* "The Duke of Wellington Misplaces his Horse" was a particularly delightful piece not only because it was so whimsical, but mainly because the main character is a real historical figure. One of the aspects of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell that I particularly enjoyed was Susanna Clarke's use of several historical events and people. She gives them personalities that are completely believable. Imagining The Duke of Wellington in this particular magical situation was highly entertaining.

* In addition to mentioning true history and geography, Ms Clarke's use of footnotes, introductions by the "editor," and fictional references to other works and theories about faerie give her world detail, background, and richness similar to Tolkien's Middle Earth. I read a lot of scholarly research, so I'm not easy to fool, but I certainly felt like I was reading someone's dissertation. An entertaining dissertation.

* I particularly appreciate Susanna Clarke's use of dry humor (the English do that so well, don't they?). If you're into Xanth, Ronan, Discworld, or The Belgariad, it may not be your thing, but to me, it's hilarious.

I listened to The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories on audiobook. I guess Susanna Clarke ranks high with her publisher because this book is read by two of the best readers in all of audiobook-dom: Simon Prebble and Davina Porter. Simon Prebble is up there with Simon Vance (who read Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander series) and comedian Lenny Henry (who read Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys). Davina Porter reads Marion Zimmer Bradley and Diana Gabaldon (and a lot of historical fiction) and I can't think of any female reader who's better than Davina Porter -- I could listen to her read accounting textbooks and be entertained for hours as long as she read each chapter in a different voice (and I bet she could). She's particularly good at Cockney.

We have only two major works by Susanna Clarke so far, but in my opinion, there is no better writer in all of fantasy fiction. For that matter, her prose is on level with those authors who we recognize as the greatest in all of literature. I hope there is much more coming from Susanna Clarke!

Read more Susanna Clarke book reviews at Fantasy Literature . ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
A collection of short stories/fairy tales set in the world Clarke created for Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. They’re an interesting take on the world, with my favourite being ‘Tom Brightwind, or How the Fairy Bridge was Built at Thoresby’. Probably not a collection for everyone but if you loved Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell and are interested in folklore and fairy tales do read this. ( )
  riverwillow | Mar 19, 2014 |
Susanna Clarke has a very solid writing style, but i think that is pretty much the only reason to read this book, unless you're absolutely crazy about fairies and/or the Regency period. I'm interested in neither, so... meh...
  bianca.sayan | Feb 2, 2014 |
A collection of short stories - some set in the period of Strange and Norell, one set in the world of Stardust - but all set in and around Fairie. Wonderful stories = I think she wrote them alonside her novel as they seem like additional thoughts rather than a place she revisited after finishing the novel. I wonder how she is going to write her next novel. She has sort of exhausted the whole Fantasy novel as Jane Austen thing. Very well done. ( )
  stuart10er | Sep 27, 2013 |
Just couldn't get into these. They seemed like stuff she had to take out of Dr. Strange and Mr. Norrell. ( )
  aulsmith | Sep 6, 2013 |
In the end, Ladies of Grace weaves a similar magic as Jonathan Strange, but perhaps the book is not magical enough.
added by Shortride | editBookmarks Magazine (Jan 1, 2007)

Whether it takes 10 months or 10 years to produce her next full-length work, Susanna Clarke is a better writer than this showcase would have you believe. Devotees and completist fans of Strange and Norrell will want to get their hands on this book, but the rest will probably want to wait.

They are uniformly clever and meticulously composed, knowledgeable of folk traditions while giving them a modern spin.

"Mr. Simonelli or the Fairy Widower" is the most authentically creepy story here. A tale of a fairy who kidnaps young women and consigns them to the direst conditions imaginable, it wanders into Stephen King territory, though without the overt gore. "John Uskglass and the Cambrian Charcoal Burner" is a perfectly constructed fable with a witty, judicious outcome.

Clarke, in following her 800-page bestseller with these short pieces, is engaged in an experiment, and it isn't entirely successful.

Susanna Clarkeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Faerie is never as far away as you think. Sometimes you find you have crossed an invisible line and must cope, as best you can, with petulant princesses, vengeful owls, ladies who pass their time embroidering terrible fates, or with endless paths in deep dark woods and houses that never appear the same way twice.

The heroines and heroes bedevilled by such problems in these fairy tales include a conceited Regency clergyman, an eighteenth-century Jewish doctor and Mary Queen of Scots, as well as two characters from Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell: Strange himself and the Raven King.
For my parents, Janet and Stuart Clarke
Introduction by Professor James Sutherland, Director of Sidhe Studies, University of Aberdeen:
I have approached this collection with two very modest aims in mind. The first is to throw some sort of light on the development of magic in the British Isles at different periods; the second is to introduce the reader to some of the ways in which Faerie can impinge upon our own quotidian world, in other words to create a sort of primer to Faerie and fairies.
Above all remember this: that magic belongs as much to the heart as to the head and everything which is done, should be done from love or joy or righteous anger.
Magic, madam, is like wine and, if you are not used to it, it will make you drunk.

"Susanna Clarke returns with an enchanting collection brimming with all the ingredients' of good fairy tales: petulant princesses, vengeful owls, ladies who pass their time in embroidering terrible fates, endless paths in deep, dark woods, and houses that never appear the same way twice. The heroines and heroes who must grapple with these problems include the Duke of Wellington, a conceited Regency clergyman, an eighteenth-century Jewish doctor, and Mary, Queen of Scots, as well as Jonathan Strange and the Raven King."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,508,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible