Embrace of the Daimon by Sandra Lee Dennis

Embrace of the Daimon (2001)

by Sandra Lee Dennis

14None683,257 (3.5)None

No reviews

Imaginal reality touches us at moments of crisis. It may announce its presence during sleep, in dreams or nightmares, or move us while awake, as a muse, guardian angel, or demon. Some call the imaginal the realm of the archetypes, the home of the gods and goddesses, the land of the daimons, or the source of creativity. Others simply call it soul. The daimonic image plays the magician, joining separate parts of ourselves and opening us to a sphere outside our everyday reality. The daimons of the imaginal world facilitate the incarnation of soul into the physical body. Through transmuting those dark energies into our consciousness, the daimons guide us as spiritual beings, to live life from a more conscious and holistic view.

In this book, Sandra Dennis suggests that attitudes devaluing the erotic, feminine, instinctual energies -- particularly those of sexuality, and destructiveness -- and the marginalization of bodily sensation itself, block those daimonic soul images from incarnating. The mysteries of death, birth, and sexual union hinge on the embracing of these images. She discusses how we tend to block these transforming forces; labeling them mad, demonic, perverted or hysterical; or thinking them taboo, and thus denying ourselves the experience of the life-altering intensity they carry. She speaks to us of the feelings often associated with daimonic imagery: fragmentation, rage, anxiety, and pain.

Along with -- ecstasy, bliss, orgasmic release - intense emotions and dark imaginal visitations form the basis of profound change in the sense of self. In her embrace of these sensations and she encourages us to open up to a unique vision at the edge of the meaning-making.  Reaching deep into inner life, Dennis shows us how to integrate this deep-seated psychically charged material.

The notion of the subtle body as a concept to unify realms that are often split off -- mind/body, spirit/nature, sacred/profound, masculine/feminine -- are highlighted. For the first time in print, Dennis articulates the 'unio corporalis,' the name she gives to the second unexplored step in C.G. Jung's three-part individuation process. She shows that integration of insight is the unification of soul with the body.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:01 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,620,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible