Sycamore Row by John Grisham

Sycamore Row (original 2013; edition 2013)

by John Grisham

Member:woodbear
Title:Sycamore Row
Authors:John Grisham
Info:Doubleday (2013), Hardcover, 464 pages
Collections:Your library, eBooks, Series, Suspense/thriller/mystery/procedural

Sycamore Row by John Grisham (2013)

English (118)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (123)
I really enjoyed this book. I had very low expectations for some reason and ended up bring pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. Hope they make a movie out of it. ( )
  loveleelisa | Jan 5, 2019 |
I was really intrigued how history was wound into this story and it all came back full circle years later. Good read as all of his books are! ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
Having just been through probate with my parents' estate, I really appreciated and got into this book. I really wish you could give half stars, cause this would be 4 1/2, but I gave it 5 just because I could relate to the subject matter so well. ( )
  Thebrownbookloft | Jun 29, 2018 |
It's a bit slow to start, but after a while, the plot does pick up.

A rich white man with cancer commits suicide and leaves a handwritten will that names Jake Brigance as the lawyer for his estate and that leaves the majority of his estate to his African American housekeeper. Of course, his children, who have been left out of his handwritten will, contest it.

Since it's a Grisham book, you figure Jake will prevail, but you're just not sure how. The trial occurs in the last third of the book and seems to seesaw back and forth as to who will prevail. In the end, I was surprised that Doley, a juror, sided with everyone else on all the points.

I admire Jake's desire to do what Seth Hubbard's letter to him instructed him to do. He could have discussed settlement and divided up the estate between the beneficiaries of the old and new wills.

I was confused as to why Seth Hubbard didn't just give his housekeeper a gift outright before he died. Perhaps he felt his kids would go after her, the way his father once went after her grandfather, to get what they wanted from her. Perhaps he knew she wouldn't accept it from him face to face. Perhaps there are more taxes involved in gifts than there are in inheritances.

I was also confused as to why Seth didn't just go to Jake and have Jake make a new will for him rather than doing a handwritten one. Maybe he just wanted to see his kids suffer more by having to pay additional fees . . . though they still could have contested it even if a lawyer had drawn up the new will I guess. But maybe then, we wouldn't have had a book . . . ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jun 25, 2018 |
story of handwritten will, current day South — good

Seth Hubbard is a wealthy man dying of lung cancer. He trusts no one. Before he hangs himself from a sycamore tree, Hubbard leaves a new, handwritten, will. It is an act that drags his adult children, his black maid, and Jake into a conflict as riveting and dramatic as the murder trial that made Brigance one of Ford County's most notorious citizens, just three years earlier.
  christinejoseph | May 21, 2018 |
All the author’s strengths are in evidence—his capturing the rhythms of small-town life in Clanton, Miss., his skill at making legal minutiae comprehensible, and his gift at getting readers to care about his characters.

For Renée
Sie fanden Seth Hubbard an der vereinbarten Stelle, allerdings anders als erwartet

When wealthy Seth Hubbard hangs himself from a sycamore tree and leaves his fortune to his black maid, Jake Brigance once again finds himself embroiled in a fiercely controversial trial -- a trial that will expose old racial tensions and force Ford County to confront its tortured history.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,449,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible