Tatiana (Arkady Renko) by Martin Cruz Smith

Tatiana (Arkady Renko) (edition 2013)

by Martin Cruz Smith

Member:seventime
Title:Tatiana (Arkady Renko)
Authors:Martin Cruz Smith
Info:Simon & Schuster (2013), Edition: 0, Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:series, novel, arkady renko

Tatiana by Martin Cruz Smith

English (20)  Dutch (1)  All languages (21)
If you want edge of the seat reading, then Cruz Smith is your guy. Crazy plot (I won't tell) but it moves fast and you don't notice. Plan on staying up late if you start this one at night. ( )
  kerns222 | May 25, 2018 |
I'm a fan of this series - I've read them all except the one right before this one (#7).

The mystery is involving: after a secret business meeting an interpreter is killed, leaving behind an enigmatic notebook.
Around the same time, a crime boss is also murdered, and an intrepid reporter ('Tatiana') known for her hard-hitting journalistic exposes, is reported to have committed suicide.

Renko is off-duty, recuperating from being shot - but Tatiana's death captures his investigative curiosity, and the more he looks into her death, the more questions arise. Meanwhile, at home, his foster son has become a sullen teenager with his heart set on joining the army.

'Tatiana' is not the strongest in the series. I tried to consider if skipping one was an issue, but I don't think it was. I felt like the book was a bit too short for the story. At just under 300 pages, I wanted more details in many parts which were hurriedly sketched over.

Don't get me wrong - it was still good. I really like Renko as a character, and Martin Cruz Smith is great at conjuring up an authentic-feeling vision of Russia. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
A pleasant surprise. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
I received an ARC through Goodreads.
----

This is the first book of the Arkady Renko series that I have read.

The first 2 chapters captured my attention and left me intrigued. However, as the story goes on, I found parts of it to be abrupt and very one dimensional. I felt like more of the storyline could have been explored and further developed. Especially the climax, which was so anti-climatic that it was rather boring, like I wanted an all out gun fight or an ultimate take down of the villains instead of the death of Alexi while the rest of the bad guys walk away from this plan and off to another .

As for some of the characters, at first I enjoyed reading about Tatiana and how she constantly put herself in the line of danger in order to expose the truth about everyone. However, when we finally meet Tatiana in person (yeah I know shocker that she is alive due to a case of mistaken identity), the real Tatiana felt like a let down compared to how everyone described and built up of her. I really don't see how Tatiana lasted so long in Russia.

And honestly the overall investigation into Tatiana's past was more like a passing interesting that somehow captured Renko, leaving him to obsess over every single detail. And the villain(s) really didn't do much in this story besides some pretty tame mafia stuff.

The highlights were the cryptic notes, it was interesting and quite the challenge trying to de-code it and Maxim is an interesting character.

Overall, it was an OK quick read. ( )
  Dream24 | Jan 6, 2016 |
I had wondered if Cruz Smith and Renko had lost their way with Three Stations, but Tatiana, whilst not his best, is a worthy return to form. Easy evocative prose, great characterization and a fascinating setting................welcome back! ( )
  malcrf | Jul 27, 2015 |
For Em Always
It was the sort of day that didn't give a damn.

"In Tatiana, Martin Cruz Smith, 'the master of the international thriller' (The New York Times) creates the most compelling heroine of his career and the most realistic, damning portrait of modern Russia in contemporary literature. One of the iconic investigators of contemporary fiction, Arkady Renko -- cynical, analytical, and quietly subversive -- has survived the cultural journey from the Soviet Union to the New Russia, only to find the nation as obsessed with secrecy and brutality as was the old Communist dictatorship. In Tatiana, Martin Cruz Smith's most ambitious novel since Gorky Park, the melancholy hero finds himself on the trail of a mystery as complex and dangerous as modern Russia herself. The fearless investigative reporter Tatiana Petrovna falls to her death from a sixth-floor window in Moscow the same week that a mob billionaire, Grisha Grigorenko, is shot and buried with the trappings due a lord. No one makes the connection, but Arkady is transfixed by the tapes he discovers of Tatiana's voice, even as she describes horrific crimes hidden by official versions. The trail leads to Kaliningrad, a Cold War "secret city" and home of the Baltic Fleet, separated by hundreds of miles from the rest of Russia. Arkady delves into Tatiana's past and a surreal world of wandering dunes and amber mines. His only link is a notebook written in the personal code of a translator whose body is found in the dunes. Arkady's only hope of decoding the symbols lies in Zhenya, a teenage chess hustler. More than a mystery, Tatiana is a story rich in character, black humor, and romance, with an insight that is the hallmark of Martin Cruz Smith" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,825,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible