Shudder (Stitch Trilogy, Book 2) (Volume 2)…

Shudder (Stitch Trilogy, Book 2) (Volume 2)

by Samantha Durante

185561,019 (4)None

Ecopy received as part of a book tour. The following is my honest opinion; no compensation has been received for said opinion.

Holy monkey truckers what an ENDING! This story is keeping my head bent to my kindle. Ms Durante has IT, ladies and gentlemen. That thing that some authors have that just keep you turning the pages to see what new little twist will come out, to find out if what you THINK you know is truth, to see if your characters hold true to their personalities.

Stitch set up the world, and that had a twist in it that shocked me. I thought FOR SURE it was going to be a time-travel story and couldn't understand how this is considered a dystopian novel. Shudder picks up where we left off with Stitch and it is QUITE the story. Isaac and Alessa are alone outside of Paragon looking for a new rebel base. When they get back, they have new missions: find Janie & Lizzie, find a power source, and get nearly 1000 rebels to this new base...over 140 miles away!

You really get more of Alessa's personality and Isaac's in this one. Alessa has developed a new ability and there are a new host of beings that she and Isaac encounter outside Paragon. I love how Isaac goes shopping when they are at the mall, too, and gets her something (you find out later). It's sweet how he is always thinking of her.

We finally meet the Ruling Class...or at least the architects of Paragon and the story will make you grind your teeth in anger. And the ending...*heart wrenches* oh man. Oh MAN! I need the third book. You need to get book 1 and 2 and await the third like I am. ( )
  a_tiffyfit | Sep 21, 2013 |
After reading and enjoying Stitch, I have been really looking forward to seeing where Samantha Durante and her creative imagination would take the characters and their story in the second installment of the trilogy, Shudder. Shudder picks up shortly after Stitch leaves off. Whereas Stitch started off in what seemed to be more of a contemporary setting with a paranormal element, then took me by surprise with the dystopian aspect and conspiracy behind everything that was going on, Shudder starts out in the dystopian setting. Alessa and Isaac have escaped Paragon, and things didn't quite go as planned, but nonetheless they are determined to do what they set out to do. They thought their main threat on the outside would be the harsh winter weather and the possibility of the virus still being active, but what they didn't expect was to be hunted by some strange, deadly, and blood thirsty creatures, nothing like they have ever seen or heard of before. Unsure if it is a mutation of the virus or something even more frightening, their very lives hang in the balance as they push forward to find suitable shelter, regroup, and plan how to save their loved ones left behind. When Alessa starts having strange visions and feelings that don't belong to her, and memories keep resurfacing of someone from her past that are confusing and frightening, she doesn't know what to make of it, and Isaac isn't sure how to help her.

Needless to say, these two never have a dull moment, that's for sure. In spite of all the intense and frightening drama going on around them, Isaac and Alessa do have their romantic moments, which are pretty hot, and I loved seeing how much these two really did love and care for each other. Samantha Durante has written those moments into the story at just the right times, adding that romantic element that is the icing on the cake, in my opinion, to a great story. Durante has also cleverly incorporated the paranormal/psychic aspect in heavily, blending it into this post apocalyptic setting, even including a few surprises that have sort of a science fiction feel to it. This may sound like a lot, but the author has woven it all together beautifully and written an action-packed, intense, and exiting story, with the romance that so many of us crave, and a plot with twists and turns that keeps you guessing and flipping the pages to see what happens next. I really enjoyed Shudder, and the Stitch Trilogy is a great series that I definitely recommend. I can't wait for the final installment, Stuck, to come out because I am so ready to read it now and see how the series concludes. Check it out. ( )
  alwaysyaatheart | Aug 21, 2013 |
Second book was not as twistful as the first one in Stitch trilogy and it seemed more like in-between story that was more slow. We followed Alessa and Isaac after they left Paragon's walls and now had to find a new base for the rebels where they can strike back. Facing different challenges on the way and almost experiencing death, they have to stay together and try to survive.

Overall I did think that Shudder was a great sequel to Stitch. I mean that book would be pretty hard to top off but I am looking forward to reading the third book which is coming out in 2014 and hope that it would be an amazing end to this Trilogy!! ( )
  SpicedLatte | Aug 1, 2013 |
Author Samantha has impressed me again with her latest book Shudder. I started reading and it pick right up where Stich had left off. Alessa and Isaac are on their mission to find the headquarters for the rebels. Along the way they are pursued by creatures and Alessa starts feeling strange emotions from these creatures. At the same time back in Paragon a rebel has been captured and stone by the people. She wakes up not remembering who she is and so the leaders of Paragon known as the Engineers give her a new name and tell her the history of Paragon. It was interesting to hear how and why Paragon came to be through their eyes.

Shudder is book two in the Stich Trilogy and unfortunately I do believe you have to read book one (Stitch) before you can understand and enjoy this story. I don’t think it does well as a standalone because I have a feeling you might be lost for most of it.

I loved reading Stitch and I completely enjoyed Shudder, it makes a wonderful addition to the trilogy. I found it to be an easy read, one I had no trouble picking back up whenever I had to set it down. The ending wasn’t a huge cliff hanger but it was just enough that I am looking forward to the last installment. This is a fascinating YA Dystopia series and one I think readers of all ages will enjoy. ( )
  dpchapman | Jul 25, 2013 |
www.booksforcompany.com
In Short
- Shudder carries on from Stitch very successfully.
- I loved going on another journey with Alessa and Isaac and getting to know them both better.
- The storyline has a lot of twists and turns throughtout.
- Samantha really built on the world which Stitch and Shudder are based in and made it more realistic in Shudder.

In Long
Shudder carries on straight from Stitch which was a big advantage as I read Stitch quite a while ago and couldn't remember it all. Within a few pages all of Stitch came back to me and I was able to quickly get into Shudder.

I really enjoyed going on another journey with Alessa and Isaac. Both of them had a lot of personal things to deal with throughout the book which really built on their character and made me feel like I got to know them better. At the same time as dealing with their separate problems they also had to tackle being out in the open in a dangerous environment.

The storyline has a lot to it, I can’t imagine the amount of thought Samantha must have put into it with all the twists. Samantha has successfully built on the world she created in Stitch and has made it stronger and became more realistic. The more I learnt about Paragon and the world outside the more gripping Shudder became and I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen next.

I think for me some parts where they are out in the wilderness it got a bit slow, I know I said at the same time they were dealing with personal things but the action side of it kind of came to a stand still and I did lose interest. Luckily, although there were a few points like it, things did pick up quickly.

When I finished Stitch I was excited to read Shudder because I felt like it had great potential. There were so many directions which Samantha could have taken Shudder and I felt like she really made the most of this and took Shudder beyond my expectations and in great directions. She definitely made the most of it's potential.

Final Thoughts
Shudder is a fantastic follow on from Stitch which I really enjoyed. Samantha really expanded on the ideas set out in Stitch, developing both the characters and storyline further. I definitely recommend this series, it’s a very unique read which has many twists and turns throughout the book. ( )
  BooksforCompany | Jul 14, 2013 |

Samantha Durante is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,188,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible