The Kingdom of Little Wounds by Susann Cokal

The Kingdom of Little Wounds

by Susann Cokal

2452046,947 (3.3)3

Susan Cokal's "Kingdom of Little Wounds" is not for the faint of heart. Some reviewers have proclaimed that this is not a book for teens, in spite of its Printz Award. The book charts the course of the imaginary Scandinavian kingdom of Skyggehaven beginning with the oldest living daughter's wedding to seal a treaty. At the wedding feast, the queen rips the bodice of her gown and the newest seamstress is ordered to sew it up. Instead of mending the tear, the seamstress succeeds in stabbing the royal skin and is demoted to nursemaid to the sickly royal children. Recruited by the royal spymaster, the seamstress tells a tale of treason that begins the unraveling of the entire court.
Set in the late middle ages, the story is told in three female voices: The seamstress, a voiceless slave and the queen herself. Additional narration is provided by an omniscient narrator and the whole is book ended as though it is a story told to princesses before bed. However, this is neither a fairy tale nor for the squeamish. The author paints a picture of a kingdom corrupted from within by disease, lies and superstition. While the royal children die one by one from their illness (strongly suggested to be congenital syphilis), the spymaster manipulates the rest of the court, including the King, who loves him, attempting and ultimately failing to gain the throne.
While the subject of the story is the manipulation of the court (ala "Game of Thrones") the author's realistic portrayal of life in a medieval court is well researched and well developed, down to the way the three women are used, and manipulated by the men around them, including instances of rape and coerced sexual contact. In spite of all these challenges, the three narrators ultimately succeed in finding some happiness and autonomy for themselves. But it is the writing that truly makes this book a masterpiece. The book truly deserves the Printz honor it received for the author's intricate plotting, dark setting and beautiful writing.

Julie K. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
That was.... interesting. 3.5 stars. Exquisitely written but unsure of whether it was straight historical or a historical fairytale which left it disjointed and jarring in places. Dealing with the topic of syphilis meant dealing with some weighty, heavy moments and the writing itself didn't lend to the YA stamp it's been given. This was an odd one for me. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
I'm torn as what to think about this book. It has the feel and qualities of a YA book. The writing is fantastic. The vocabulary about as rich as I've encountered in a YA book (I was glad I was reading on my Kindle where I could get definitions with a touch because she uses some authentic but archaic words). The story was complex and well woven with multiple perspectives. HOWEVER, it is so extremely sexually violent. My 17 year old daughter would be devastated by reading some of the things that happen in this book. But the violence is necessary to the plot and character development. But overall, I think this author did an amazing job! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 22, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 22, 2016 |
This has a ton of stories within stories but the overarching story is is of the Lunedies, a ruling family that appears to be in it's final deterioration. The story jumps perspective and it can be difficult to keep track of the myriad of characters. I was expecting a twist on a sleeping beauty tale from the blurb on the back but what I got was a very well researched historical fiction piece. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

A young seamstress and a royal nursemaid find themselves at the center of an epic power struggle in this stunning young-adult debut.

On the eve of Princess Sophia’s wedding, the Scandinavian city of Skyggehavn prepares to fete the occasion with a sumptuous display of riches: brocade and satin and jewels, feasts of sugar fruit and sweet spiced wine. Yet beneath the veneer of celebration, a shiver of darkness creeps through the palace halls. A mysterious illness plagues the royal family, threatening the lives of the throne’s heirs, and a courtier’s wolfish hunger for the king’s favors sets a devious plot in motion. Here in the palace at Skyggehavn, things are seldom as they seem — and when a single errant prick of a needle sets off a series of events that will alter the course of history, the fates of seamstress Ava Bingen and mute nursemaid Midi Sorte become irrevocably intertwined with that of mad Queen Isabel. As they navigate a tangled web of palace intrigue, power-lust, and deception, Ava and Midi must carve out their own survival any way they can.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:56 -0400)

On the eve of Princess Sophia's wedding the Scandinavian city of Skyggehavn prepares to fete the occasion with a sumptuous display of riches. Yet beneath the veneer of celebration, a shiver of darkness creeps through the palace halls. A mysterious illness plagues the royal family, threatening the lives of the throne's heirs, and a courtier's wolfish hunger for the king's favors sets a devious plot in motion. In the palace at Skyggehave, things are seldom as they seem -- and when a single errant prick of a needle sets off a series of events that will alter the course of history, the fates of seamstress Ava Bingen and mute nursemaid Midi Sorte become irrevocably intertwined.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,623,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible