HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Claire DeWitt and the Bohemian Highway by…
Loading...

Claire DeWitt and the Bohemian Highway

by Sara Gran

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
1441383,153 (3.69)22

None.

None
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 22 mentions

English (12)  German (1)  All (13)
Showing 1-5 of 12 (next | show all)
Dass in Ermittlerkreisen, bevorzugt aus den nördlichen Gefilden, gehäuft psychische Probleme auftreten, ist man ja schon gewohnt (Harry Hole, Carl Morck, Wallander...). Doch nun gesellt sich auch noch ein weibliches Wesen aus dem sonnigen Kalifornien dazu - sollte das nicht eigentlich ein Garant für ein heiteres Gemüt sein? Bei Claire de Witt trifft das jedoch bestimmt nicht zu.
Claire de Witt ist sicherlich die zur Zeit lebensmüdeste Ermittlerin, die man in einem Krimi findet. Ihre Ermittlungsmethoden sind meist überaus unkonventionell (ab und an nimmt sie aber auch nach alt hergebrachter Art Fingerabdrücke), da sie sich eher auf Intuition, Gefühle, Träume und dergleichen mehr verlässt als auf simple Fakten. Sie scheint ein besonders sensibler Mensch zu sein, dem sich die bisher erlebten Dinge und Erfahrungen wie ein Schreckgespenst auf die Seele legen. Um diese Schmerzen, die Verlustängste und die Überzeugung, dass sie gänzlich ungeliebt ist, zu bekämpfen bzw. sie zu betäuben, nimmt sie alles zu sich, was sie an Drogen in die Finger bekommt. Und beim aktuellen Fall wird der Schmerz schier unerträglich, denn ihre frühere Liebe Paul ist getötet worden. Das Einzige, was sie noch für ihn tun kann, ist den Täter zu finden.
Es werden parallel zwei Fälle erzählt: Einmal die Suche nach Pauls Mörder, zum anderen die Geschichte einer ihrer ersten Fälle. Wie sie zusammen mit ihrer Freundin Tracy auf der Suche nach einer vermissten Bekannten war, die sich scheinbar ohne Anlass zugrunde richten wollte.
Eigentlich sind die Fälle fast (aber nur fast) eine Randerscheinung neben dem Einblick in die gebrochene Seele Claires. Spannend ist es trotzdem, denn man kommt ihr so nahe, dass man unbedingt wissen möchte, ob es ihr noch gelingt, die Lösung zu finden bevor sie endgültig zusammenklappt. Und hofft, dass sie aller Wahrscheinlichkeit zum Trotz, doch noch davonkommt.
Fazit: Wer einen 'normalen' Krimi/Thriller lesen möchte mit logischen Schlüssen und evtl. Action, wird mit diesem wohl nicht glücklich werden. Das Ganze ist mehr ein Psychogramm mit einer Krimigeschichte als Beilage, dieses dafür aber heftig und durchaus packend. ( )
  Xirxe | Dec 2, 2014 |
Synopsis: One of Claire DeWitt's oldest friends has been murdered and she has decided to find out who actually committed the crime. As she delves into it, she flashes back to a case on which she and Tracy worked. She also continues to try to find out what happened to Tracy.
Review: A depression ridden coke addict is stumbling along to solve crimes and although the mysteries are interesting, the main character is tedious. I don't really care whether she has died in the last chapter or not. This is probably my last Sara Gran book. ( )
  DrLed | Mar 21, 2014 |
Second in the series of dark, philosophical mysteries featuring Claire DeWitt, a coke-snorting, sexually dysfunctional, socially misfit detective of the Silletian school. I loved the first book in the series, Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead. It too was dark, though Claire wasn't as wasted throughout that one as she is in this one. It was hard to read about her addiction ~ the nosebleeds, the inability to get off the floor, the thieving of prescription drugs from friends and one-night stands, the skeevy people she bought drugs from and did drugs with ~ but, in a way, it all made sense since she was investigating the murder of her ex-lover, the one man she might have made a good life with had she not been so completely relationship phobic. Not a lot of gore, but violence of the self-inflicted kind and jumping back and forth through time to the first mystery she solved, doesn't make this an easy read, but the writing and the depth makes the effort worthwhile. ( )
  Storeetllr | Dec 29, 2013 |
Like others, I read both books in the Claire Dewitt series because Bohemian Highway got great reviews. I am not sure which book was more difficult to get through. Ms. Gran does have a way with words; so I give her credit. But her characters seem to live on some other planet than the one most of us live on. In her description of Claire's early days in New York City with her friends, they are constantly going to bars, getting drinks, doing drugs. Hardly any mention of attending school, and these kids are just teens. Would every bar in Manhattan in the 1980s serve young teenage girls. Perhaps, but I think not. And Claire in the present day Bay Area simply spends her time snorting coke, downing stolen prescription pain killers, and having one night stands. Ok. I suppose for some, life is like that all the time. But basically, the woman is f****** up big time. I find it difficult to read books where there is little possibility of relating to any of the characters in some way. I think I will also pass on the next book in the series. ( )
  andyg227 | Dec 19, 2013 |
"...Bohemian Highway" (BH) is the second DeWitt novel from Sara Gran. I got into this series when I read a very favorable review for BH a couple of months ago. I decided to read the debut book, "Claire DeWitt and the Ciy of the Dead" first though, enjoyed it, rating it a 5.0 So I had very high expectations for BH, and I was rather disappointed.

Claire is at best in her late 30's, a private detective working out of San Francisco, and the story begins shortly before the murder of an ex boyfriend of Claire's. Paul was shot dead in his home during what was assumed to be a burglary. Paul's widow, the drop dead gorgeous Lydia, is distraught but Paul's sister is suspicious of Lydia and hires Claire to solve the crime. And there's a subplot, which gets almost as many pages as the main storyline, and in my humble opinion, is a bit more interesting. When Claire was in her teens and living in Brooklyn, her good friend Tracy suddenly disappeared, never to be heard from again. The subplot deals with the disappearance not of Tracy, but of their mutual friend Chloe. The story jumps back and forth between the 20+ year span between the two cases. Just to make sure you are paying attention, sometimes Claire might fall asleep in San Fran at the end of a chapter only to wake up in Brooklyn at the very beginning of the next sentence - no, there is no time travel involved.

I thought the book was a bit confusing and tried a bit too hard to be a little bit deep. I have no idea who was driving the other car on the last page, and by then I didn't really care. But the biggest turn-off for me was the drugs. Claire is big into drugs and pills and occasionally booze in both cases, though a good deal worse in the current case. Claire snorts an awful lot of coke - enough to make her nose bleed. And she steals pills from the bathrooms of everyone she visits. Think dirty bathrooms in dingy bars, think interviews in alleyways, smelly people including herself and friends, jumbled thoughts and narration, self-made tattoos, vomit. Enough already. Claire says she wants to come clean, maybe that's book 3 or 4. But I don't care that much about Claire and I'm not that interested and will not likely read another in this series. ( )
  maneekuhi | Oct 3, 2013 |
Showing 1-5 of 12 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Information from the German Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
I met Paul when a friend of mine Tabitha played at the Hotel Utah late one Thursday night.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

Book description
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0547429339, Hardcover)

The eagerly awaited second book in the Claire DeWitt mystery series, featuring “one of the genre’s most original characters in years . . . as if David Lynch directed a Raymond Chandler novel.” (CNN)

When Paul Casablancas, Claire DeWitt’s musician ex-boyfriend, is found dead in his Mission District home, the police are convinced it’s a simple robbery. But Claire knows nothing is ever simple.

With the help of her new assistant, Claude, Claire follows the clues, finding hints to Paul’s fate in her other cases—especially that of a missing girl in the gritty 1980s East Village and a modern-day miniature horse theft in Marin. As visions of the past reveal the secrets of the present, Claire begins to understand the words of the enigmatic French detective Jacques Silette: “The detective won’t know what he is capable of until he encounters a mystery that pierces his own heart.” And love, in all its forms, is the greatest mystery of all—at least to the world’s greatest PI.

An addictive new adventure featuring an irresistible heroine.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:26 -0400)

When Paul Casablancas, Claire DeWitt's musician ex-boyfriend, is found dead in his Mission District home, the police are convinced it's a simple robbery. But Claire knows nothing is ever simple. With the help of her new assistant, Claude, Claire follows the clues, finding hints to Paul's fate in her other cases -- especially that of a missing girl in the gritty 1980s East Village and a modern-day miniature horse theft in Marin.… (more)

» see all 3 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
57 wanted3 pay2 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.69)
0.5
1
1.5
2 5
2.5 4
3 6
3.5 1
4 19
4.5 3
5 7

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

» Publisher information page

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,283,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible