Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld

Sisterland

by Curtis Sittenfeld

Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though the sisters at the heart of these two novels are unwillingly thrust into the national limelight with quite different results for their relationships, both novels offer a compelling, realistic, and insightful look into the complex bonds between sisters.… (more)

I honestly really disliked every single character in this book, from the bland husband, to the ridiculously afraid of actually living her own life main character, to the obnoxious and cliched sister, to the three year old that only spoke in third person. I felt like the jacket synopsis of the book was extremely misleading as to what the book was actually about and I didn't really understand the characters motivations for the things they did... the major plot point in the novel came out of nowhere for me. Also, I usually really enjoy Sittenfeld's writing- even though I didn't love the plot of "American Wife", I really enjoyed her writing. Not so here. I would skip this one. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
This story had a lot of things going on in it, and at times I wasn't quite sure where we were going to end up, but overall I enjoyed it. The author did a good job portraying the loyalty and betrayals and just plain messiness of family life, particularly among sisters. 3.5 stars. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I felt such empathy for the characters. I was disappointed by one plot line but felt so strongly about the people involved. I definitely recommend this. ( )
  nljacobs | Jan 19, 2016 |
This book was incredible, I couldn't put it down. I suck at writing reviews, but just say I loved it. ( )
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
For my aunts,
Ellen Battistelli and Dede Alexander,
who are Missouri natives
The first earthquake wasn't the strongest—that would come later, in February 1812—but it must have been the most astonishing.

When the strongest earthquake in U.S. history occurs just north of their St. Louis home, Kate and Jeremy find the disaster further complicated by Kate's self-proclaimed-medium twin's prediction about a more powerful earthquake, a situation that places Kate under public scrutiny and reveals her own psychic abilities.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,037,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible