Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld

Sisterland

by Curtis Sittenfeld

I had high hopes for this book. It looked like it would be really good. However it was a major let down. Though I could related with the main character and her struggles with keeping her identity while not failing as a stay at home mom with 2 kids and a wife I believe she was seriously depressed the whole time. The way her relationships were and the way she treated everything that happened was somewhat annoying. I thought this book would have more edge to it as the main concept was that her and her twin were psychic. It's been a long time since I've had to rate a book lower than a 3 star. ( )
  Tiffy83 | Aug 11, 2014 |
Interesting read. I was tempted to stop at various points but I do think it is worth finishing, ( )
  INorris | Jun 22, 2014 |
I have mixed feelings about this book. It was terribly compelling and by that I mean I was so frustrated and upset with the characters and their choices that I actually cried at the end of the book. Talk about doomed to repeat history. I haven't been this emotional about a book since Jo Jo Moyes': Me Before You but I was uplifted by that book. So if you like emotionally jarring, frustratingly real characters, this book is for you. ( )
  hopebird | May 7, 2014 |
Oh the detail in this book----the audio version made me feel as though I was right there, listening to each and every descriptive moment in this evolving twin sister relationship centered around their ESP capabilities and the surrounding things that happen in their respective relationships over time. I really liked the fact that Sittenfeld did not leave us hanging---even though she could easily add a sequel to this. ( )
  nyiper | Apr 24, 2014 |
The twin sisters in Sisterland are psychic. Flamboyant Violet embraces - and commercializes - her gift, while reticent Kate, our narrator, is intent on suppressing hers. Kate is beside herself when Violet predicts that a major earthquake is going to hit their home town of St. Louis, especially when the national media get involved. Although Kate herself cannot dismiss Violet's vision and contributes to the media frenzy by assigning a date to the catastrophe, it still seems as if she is more concerned with Violet's weight, bad hair and bad manners than with the prospect of an earthquake squashing her kids.

I really liked Sittenfeld's Prep and I really liked this. Her characters breathe, and they are all multifaceted. The heart of the book is much more in family relationships, rendered with considerable complexity, than in paranormal activity. It's not hard to believe in the story even if you absolutely do not believe in psychic ability, as I certainly do not - the reader can find natural explanations for most of the purported visions. (Only a part of the story concerned with finding a missing child required absolute suspension of disbelief). The reader isn't asked to pit one character against another, although I generally sympathized with crazy Violet over rigid Kate, with her pursed-lipped judgment against everyone around her. Kate is an unreliable narrator, and when we tell the stories of ourselves in our family, aren't we all? ( )
  CasualFriday | Mar 31, 2014 |

When the strongest earthquake in U.S. history occurs just north of their St. Louis home, Kate and Jeremy find the disaster further complicated by Kate's self-proclaimed-medium twin's prediction about a more powerful earthquake, a situation that places Kate under public scrutiny and reveals her own psychic abilities.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible