Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld

Sisterland

by Curtis Sittenfeld

Interesting read. I was tempted to stop at various points but I do think it is worth finishing, ( )
  INorris | Apr 1, 2015 |
  INorris | Apr 1, 2015 |
I liked the way the book started out, but the ending was filled with too much angst for me. Too many unanswered questions and turmoil but I guess that was the point. I must not have been in the right frame of mind - I put myself in Daisy's place and couldn't take the pressure. ( )
1 vote DeborahCThomas | Feb 12, 2015 |
I almost didn't read this based on others' reviews on GoodReads, so glad I listened to a friend instead who thought I would like it. Really a compelling read though I had just sworn off yet another book about twins, this one was told really well. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Nov 9, 2014 |
I saw Curtis Sittenfeld read from Sisterland at last year's Iowa City Book Festival. The book is about twins who have ESP. Kate has tried to squelch her abilities, while Violet has tried to make a career as a medium. The two sisters are able to co-exist in their hometown of St. Louis, even though Kate's life as a suburban wife and mother, is much different from Violet's single life. But when Violet predicts that an earthquake will hit St. Louis, the whole country's attention is drawn to the two sisters.

At first, I wasn't sure that interested in a book about two sisters with ESP. But this book isn't really about the ability to predict the future. Instead it is about two women figuring out who they are and who they want to be. Issues of balancing between work and family and standing out versus blending in resonated with me. Sittenfeld knows how to tell a story as well. As the date for the predicted earthquake draws near and tension arises in the relationship between Kate and Violet, the pace of the book picks up. By the end, I had come to really care for Kate and Violet. ( )
  porch_reader | Oct 17, 2014 |

When the strongest earthquake in U.S. history occurs just north of their St. Louis home, Kate and Jeremy find the disaster further complicated by Kate's self-proclaimed-medium twin's prediction about a more powerful earthquake, a situation that places Kate under public scrutiny and reveals her own psychic abilities.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,556,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible