Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld

Sisterland

by Curtis Sittenfeld

Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though the sisters at the heart of these two novels are unwillingly thrust into the national limelight with quite different results for their relationships, both novels offer a compelling, realistic, and insightful look into the complex bonds between sisters.… (more)

I always like reading a Curtis Sittenfeld book. She's such a good writer, and I never fail to get sucked into the world she creates. I don't know why I took so long to getting around to read this one. I really liked it. I really like Sittenfeld's writing style. ( )
  cjservis | Apr 23, 2016 |
Very good, but not great. About sisters, yes. But also about twins, psychic abilities, families, and choices. I liked the characters, and the story line(s). But near the end it took a surprising turn I wasn't expecting. I'm not sure it really contributed to the rest of the story.

Other reviews have said there wasn't a likable character in the book. I disagree; I liked almost everyone, at least at times. ( )
  cherybear | Mar 16, 2016 |
This book raised some interesting questions, but it suffered from a lack of likable characters. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
I was very disappointed in this book. I skipped a lot of it. I think I confused it with another book with "sisters" or "sisterhood" in the title. ( )
  terran | Feb 12, 2016 |
I honestly really disliked every single character in this book, from the bland husband, to the ridiculously afraid of actually living her own life main character, to the obnoxious and cliched sister, to the three year old that only spoke in third person. I felt like the jacket synopsis of the book was extremely misleading as to what the book was actually about and I didn't really understand the characters motivations for the things they did... the major plot point in the novel came out of nowhere for me. Also, I usually really enjoy Sittenfeld's writing- even though I didn't love the plot of "American Wife", I really enjoyed her writing. Not so here. I would skip this one. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
For my aunts,
Ellen Battistelli and Dede Alexander,
who are Missouri natives
The first earthquake wasn't the strongest—that would come later, in February 1812—but it must have been the most astonishing.
It would in my life then have been impossible for me to feel bored by doing nothing. To do nothing was a rare treat, almost like taking a nap.
Maybe I had always been, as Vi would subsequently accuse me, someone who creates obstacles for myself then looks around in surprise, wondering where they came from.
He said, "We all make mistakes, don't we? But if you don't forgive yourself, you'll always be an exile in your own life."
There are, I have learned, so many gifts of motherhood, and so many sadnesses,  and one of the sadnesses is the asymmetry of the family experience: that in spite of all the daily nuisances, and in spite of the unforgivable way I transgressed, these years of the children being little are the sweetest in my life.
Our children, our grown-up children, who might or might not know the secrets of their parents but who'd surely possess secrets of their own—would they regard us with affection or resentment? The answer, presumably, is both, but still, it is hard not to wonder in what proportions, hard not to yearn, as I did at my father's burial, for those proportions to be favorable.

When the strongest earthquake in U.S. history occurs just north of their St. Louis home, Kate and Jeremy find the disaster further complicated by Kate's self-proclaimed-medium twin's prediction about a more powerful earthquake, a situation that places Kate under public scrutiny and reveals her own psychic abilities.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible