Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld

Sisterland

by Curtis Sittenfeld

Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though the sisters at the heart of these two novels are unwillingly thrust into the national limelight with quite different results for their relationships, both novels offer a compelling, realistic, and insightful look into the complex bonds between sisters.… (more)

Did you ever try something different – an unusual combination of ingredients for a dinner, an avant-garde idea for a painting or composition, an unique decorating scheme – and realized when you were done that you not only missed the mark, you didn’t even hit the target at all? Then you are smarter than this author, who missed the target and yet still managed to get this book published. (Maybe she IS smarter than I give her credit for being!) The past, present, and a bit of the future lives of these twin sisters meander all over the pages of this novel. If you combined the twins into one woman, you still wouldn’t have a person with the common sense God gave a goose. At least geese have instincts! It might have been worth reading if this book had an actual plot, if it had believable characters, or if it caused me to care even a wit about what happened to them. It doesn’t, they aren’t, and I don’t. I finished reading it because it was chosen for one of my book clubs. I did my assignment -I read the book. I deserve a gold star – this book deserves a rewrite. ( )
  Maydacat | May 2, 2015 |
Daisy and Violet are identical twins in very few ways. As adults, they don't even look much alike and they certainly lead different types of lives but they still have one thing in common - they can sometimes sense future events. Violet chose to embrace her psychic ability and leads a more flamboyant life than Daisy - experimenting with sexuality, giving up driving, and expressing her opinion no matter how offensive or rude. Daisy denies her ability and chose a more standard "married with children" life with Jeremy. She changes her name to Kate so that no one from high school will recognize her and tries to get along in life without making any waves. Violet's prediction of a major earthquake in St. Louis shakes up both of their lives. Suddenly, Vi is on national TV and Kate can't decide whether Vi is just selfishly seeking attention or truly senses impending disaster.

The majority of the book occurs in Kate's mind, thinking back on her relationship with her sister. But that relationship never much changes. Daisy has always been somewhat embarrassed by Vi, feels superior to her, but doesn't have much self-confidence either. Kate's life is boring but Sittenfeld manages to write in such a way that the reader expects something big to happen. And something finally does, but it's wholly unsatisfying.

Unlikable, uninteresting characters, a meandering plot, and a melancholy and snooty tone - there just isn't much to like in this book. ( )
  bookappeal | Apr 29, 2015 |
Interesting read. I was tempted to stop at various points but I do think it is worth finishing, ( )
  INorris | Apr 20, 2015 |
I liked the way the book started out, but the ending was filled with too much angst for me. Too many unanswered questions and turmoil but I guess that was the point. I must not have been in the right frame of mind - I put myself in Daisy's place and couldn't take the pressure. ( )
1 vote DeborahCThomas | Feb 12, 2015 |
I almost didn't read this based on others' reviews on GoodReads, so glad I listened to a friend instead who thought I would like it. Really a compelling read though I had just sworn off yet another book about twins, this one was told really well. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Nov 9, 2014 |

When the strongest earthquake in U.S. history occurs just north of their St. Louis home, Kate and Jeremy find the disaster further complicated by Kate's self-proclaimed-medium twin's prediction about a more powerful earthquake, a situation that places Kate under public scrutiny and reveals her own psychic abilities.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,864,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible