Ghost Light by E. J. Stevens

Ghost Light

by E. J. Stevens

I don't like Jinx.

Okay. She's Ivy's friend.

But I have this feeling that she's just using her. ( )
  Ayanami_Faerudo | May 20, 2016 |
Note: Even though this is Book 2 in the series, I think it works fine as a stand alone.

Ivy Granger, psychic detective, and her best friend Jinx must solve a most disturbing mystery: someone has snatched over 30 fae children and their parents are clamoring at Ivy’s door for assistance. As Ivy digs further into the mystery, she has a run in with Melasine, a deranged lamia and former wife to Ceffyr, Ivy’s current beau.

I enjoyed this book a little more than Book 1, Shadow Sight, as the plot was tighter and we spent more time on it as the main characters are already established. Ivy continues to grow as a character through the search for knowledge of her father and her growing relationship with the kelpie king Ceffyr. The rest of the characters remain pretty static, if interesting, and allow Ivy to bounce off of them. The romance with Ceffyr is a nice touch as it is all new to Ivy. The author does a good job of showing how important the relationship is to Ivy without boring the reader with mushiness.

Jinx continues to be the opposite to Ivy with her love of fancy shoes and flirtatious behavior. However, she does get to use a crossbow (yay!) and that makes her cute and deadly. Torn, a cat sidhe, is added to the mix. He’s mysterious and not entirely trusted by Ivy and her friends, yet he has info. Ivy used her psychometric abilities to gain a few visions of the missing kids and now she has a puddle of questions. She thinks the Wisps may be involved but she doesn’t know how or why. Being half Wisp herself, she feels a deep need to figure this out.

Once again, Ivy pulls in assistance from an assortment of folks – the resident Harborsmouth vampires, the witch Kaye, Father Michael, the Green Lady (a glastic who runs a local carnival), and others. The end to the mystery was full of action and danger. And then we have roughly two hours left in the book.

Yeah. Two hours. That’s kind of a long wrap up. Now, important and even interesting stuff happened during these two hours. Ivy learns a bit more about her father, king of the Wisps, and potentially why he left her and her mother. She also spends some time recovering from the big fight and getting to know Ceffyr better. However, I found that this section dragged a little for me. We already had the big action scene, the answer to the big mystery, and the resolution with the big baddie. It was awesome. The story arc for this book was complete. I was ready for a short epilogue and perhaps the next book. So I think it would have been better to have all the interesting bits of the last two hours sprinkled throughout the book instead of all lumped together at the end. Other than that little complaint, this was a most entertaining book.

I received a copy of this audiobook at no cost from the author in exchange for an honest review (thanks!).

Narration: Traci Odom once again had an excellent voice for Ivy Granger. I like her no-nonsense, weapon carrying voice. She had distinct voices for all the other characters, along with believable male voices. I especially liked her rapid, well pronounced Latin bits during the big fight scene. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Nov 15, 2015 |
Review originally posted on My Urban Fantasies

Another brilliant installment of the Ivy Granger series. Ghost Light takes place a couple of months after Blood and Mistletoe. After the fight with the redcaps, Ivy swore that she would never be unprepared for a fight again. Basic self defense is not enough. So Ivy and Jinx have been training with Jenna. Battle and weapons. Ivy has the moves, but Jinx has mad skills with projectile weapons. Her current favorite is a crossbow.

Ivy and Ceff are seriously dating now, despite being unable to touch. Stupid visions. For all the urban fantasy lovers who hate romance, there's no reason to worry, Ghost Light is still a book for you. There is just enough romance to keep things interesting. Ivy being a private detective and wisp princess is still the primary focus.

After an adventurous shopping trip with Jinx and depressing visit with Kaye, Ivy makes an impromptu visit to the harbor to call on Ceff. While walking back to her apartment with Ceff, Ivy receives an anxious call from Jinx. There are a horde of Fae outside their office, Private Eye detective agency, and the phone is ringing off the hook. They are emergency clients and Jinx fears that all their cases are connected. After talking to her new clients Ivy confirms Jinx's fears. The cases are connected. Thirty-three Fae children are missing.

I absolutely love it when Ivy is up to her elbows in trouble. It's when her strength shines through the most. Not to mention entertaining as hell. Now that Ivy has some battle training she also possesses a fierceness that was not in the previous books. I like it!

While Ivy is still my favorite character, there is a new character in Ghost Light that I love. Torn, actually Sir Torn, is Lord of the Harborsmith cat sidhe. Torn can shift from his natural state, a cat, into an oh so yummy human guise. I have two words for you; leather pants. *sigh* He's mischievous with the same snarky attitude that Ivy has. Torn has a bunch of battle scars; among them is a tattered left ear and a scar tissue covered right ear. In his human form all the scars remain. The thing I love most about Torn is that he embraces his many imperfections. Instead of hiding the scars on his arms he wears a leather vest. Torn turned many of the holes in his left ear into bone and feather piercings.

I again find myself eagerly awaiting the next installment of the Ivy Granger series. Especially if it contains a certain cat sidhe. ( )
1 vote myurbanfantasies | Sep 11, 2013 |
Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: fans of UF, fans of the series, people interested in more realistic versions of the Sidhe
Trigger Warnings: kidnapping of children, threatening to murder children, the murder of children (in the past), violence, fighting, killing

Please note: This is a huge blog tour and giveaway associated with the release of this book starting on July 9, 2013, in conjunction with which I will be hosting a giveaway on my blog. Be sure to watch for it!

My Thoughts: I've really been enjoying reading this terrific urban fantasy series as E.J. Stevens releases them, and honored that she values my input enough to allow me early access. One of the coolest things about this series is how much research into the various types of sidhe that Stevens has done to maintain a certain level of authenticity in regards to The Good Folk.

The cat sidhe are so awesome. Of course, as a person who loves cats it makes sense I would be particularly taken with the cat folk! I actually think lamias are pretty cool, too; it's too bad Melusine is completely off her rocker!

Ivy learns more about her past, her heritage, and her family in this book, and we see further growth in her relationship with Ceff, the kelpie king. I really did enjoy this book. It deals with more than just the children being kidnapped; the book continues well after that problem is solved, and provides more of an insight into how Ivy lives, and her friendship with Jinx, as well as Kaye. I really enjoyed this book—I've really enjoyed this whole series—and can recommend the book, and series, to anyone who enjoys urban fantasy, and books that treat the Sidhe in a more realistic manner. Check it out!

Series Information: Ivy Granger, Psychic Detective series
Book 1: Shadow Sight, read and reviewed July 2012, review linked here where formatting allowed.
Book 1.5: Blood and Mistletoe, read and reviewed October 2012, review linked here where formatting allowed.
Book 2: Ghost Light
Book 2.5: Club Nexus, scheduled to be released later in 2013
Book 3: Burning Bright, scheduled for release in 2013

Disclosure: I received an e-book ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Ivy Granger, psychic detective, thought she'd seen it all...until now.

With a vengeful lamia that only she can see on the city streets, reports of specters walking Harborsmouth cemeteries, and an angry mob of faerie clients at her office door, it's bound to be a long night. Add in an offense against the faerie courts and a few foolish bargains and one thing is clear—Ivy Granger is in some seriously deep trouble.

Ivy Granger is back, gathering clues in the darkest shadows of downtown Harborsmouth. With the lives of multiple clients on the line, she's in a race against time. Ivy finally has a lead to the whereabouts of the one person who can help her control her wisp abilities, but will she put the needs of her clients above her own?

If Ivy doesn't find a solution soon, she could wind up a ghost herself. ( )
1 vote Katyas | Jul 4, 2013 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

E. J. Stevens's book Ghost Light was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

E. J. Stevens is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,448,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible