Teardrop by Lauren Kate

by Lauren Kate

Series: Teardrop (1)

2591944,125 (3.63)4

I love how Lauren Kate's mind works! She inspires me! I can only hope to become as good of a writer as her one day. I do not understand the bad reviews for this novel. I absolutely adored it! It was imaginative, magical, different, unlike any other story I have read. It opens up a world I have always been interested in and always wanted to read about. I CAN'T wait to see where Lauren goes next with this series! I am on the edge of my seat waiting for the adventure to continue! ( )
  BookaholicBanter | Nov 6, 2014 |
Teardrop is a book that I have wanted to read for a while yet but at the same time avoiding. I've heard a lot of bad things said about this book, but honestly that not what put me off, it's because it was done by Lauren Kate. A few years back I read the Fallen series, and I liked the idea of it and found the first two books to be good, as they went on I just found them to be predictable and lacking (what I still to this day don't know). I know a lot of people love the books, one of my friends included, but until I read them again , they didn't end well for me. (I would like to point out that I thought the idea behind it and most of the theory of the relationship to be beautiful). Anyway, those books were hyped up something rotten, and at the start so was Teardrop, so even though the cover is beautiful I still decided I would wait to read it. I'm glad I've got it out of the way because it wasn't a terrible book, but it did have lots of flaws.

Teardrop is based around Eureka, a girl who hasn't cried properly since she was around 4 years old. When her mother is killed in a freak car accident, that she miraculously survived, she starts pushing those closest to her away, giving up on cross country running, a passion of hers and even attempts to take her own life. So when her stepmother from hell forces her to attend therapy, can anyone really blame her?. Her life is anything but easy, when by chance (or fate) she comes across a boy named Ander who she can't seem to get out of her head, and her mother leaves her 3 mysterious objects in her will things seem to get weirder by the day. Soon Eureka is finding out that even though she told her mother everything, her mother did not do the same. There is things about Eureka's past, present and future that she doesn't understand, but if she has any hope of surviving she has to try harder to. She is part of something far greater than she could ever imagine and when the fate of the world rests on her shoulders, is she really ready for that level of responsibility?.

The characters... So I didn't like Euerka, I just didn't connect with her. I tried to because her story is a rather sad one, but I felt like she was just a bit too woe is me all the time. I know I know, she's had just lost her mother but most of the drama in her life she has caused. She closed herself of from people and the world even though they were only trying to help her and be there for her and I think that's why I just couldn't see past it. Ander was another character I didn't connect with, I thought he was sweet, and I liked him, he just wasn't for me. Hell I'm going to just say now that I didn't really like any of the characters, and it's hard to fully enjoy a book without at least one person to connect with.

the story itself wasn't bad, in fact just like her Fallen series I really liked Lauren Kate's concept behind this. It was something different and unique, only yet again I found myself wishing for so much more. It took too long for anyone to really explain what was what to Euerka, so what we ended up with was a lot of nonsense and unnecessary chapters wtih a lack of character building. The reason I've given this a 3.5 rating is because like I said, I liked the idea behind it, and even though granted there was a lot about the book I didn't like or feel needed to be there, it wasn't terrible. For anyone who likes this book I suggest reading Starcrossed series by Josephine Angelini, something with a similar concept but with a lot less flaws. ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
2.5 stars.

Just so-so. Love the cover, but never connected with the story. Probably won't read more. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Good start to a series that has a fresh take on the mythology theme. May have been more detail and description than needed. Feels like things only finally get going at the end of the book. However, readers will be curious to find out what is next in this unpredictable series. Two possible love interests in a fun part of the plot. Audio reading was good. ( )
  edellaporta | Jul 13, 2014 |
What a beautiful cover and one that may inspire others to buy this novel just for the cover.Now,is the rest of author lauren Kate's book as successful as the beauty of her covers? A resoundidng yes, even though the plot is complex. At times, I used my scanning abilities to get past some of the descriptions she presented, but as mystery after mystery unfolded, I back traced and reread a few places Ihad skipped over. Not your normal way of reading but not a normal girl loves boy romantic novel, as therproblems surfaced.

the beginning of the world hurled at me confused me, but the author built on that and I found her pacing quite good in the end. Did I like Eureka? Not sure, and I am still thinking about her, as much of her character traits were left out., Perhaps the author wants me to fill them in. Hmmm. The next book may distinguish some of the characters more and yet, I didn't feel let down by "Teardrop".
Who would think that Eureka surviving a car crash would produce such a good plot? I heartily recommend this book to those who like this genre, a paranormal novel for 14 and up. All of the ingredients are here for mystical plots, so I say heartily "Go for it". ( )
  bakersfieldbarbara | Jun 24, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375990690, Library Binding)

The first in a new series by Lauren Kate, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Fallen series, TEARDROP is an epic saga of heart-stopping romance, devastating secrets, and dark magic . . . a world where everything you love can be washed away.

Never, ever cry. . . . Eureka Boudreaux's mother drilled that rule into her daughter years ago. But now her mother is gone, and everywhere Eureka goes he is there: Ander, the tall, pale blond boy who seems to know things he shouldn't, who tells Eureka she is in grave danger, who comes closer to making her cry than anyone has before.

But Ander doesn't know Eureka's darkest secret: ever since her mother drowned in a freak accident, Eureka wishes she were dead, too. She has little left that she cares about, just her oldest friend, Brooks, and a strange inheritance—a locket, a letter, a mysterious stone, and an ancient book no one understands. The book contains a haunting tale about a girl who got her heart broken and cried an entire continent into the sea. Eureka is about to discover that the ancient tale is more than a story, that Ander might be telling the truth . . . and that her life has far darker undercurrents than she ever imagined.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:57 -0400)

Since Eureka's mother drowned, she wishes she were dead too, but after discovering that an ancient book is more than a story Eureka begins to believe that Ander is right about her being involved in strange things--and in grave danger.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,782,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible