Teardrop (Teardrop Trilogy) by Lauren Kate

Teardrop (Teardrop Trilogy)

by Lauren Kate

152None78,608 (3.53)3

This is the first in a trilogy. If you like fantasy and romance then is book is for you. ( )
  TeamDewey | Mar 17, 2014 |
I need to first address that cover: can you say STUNNING? Seriously beautiful work there!

AS for the story, I think I came into it with some incredibly high expectations, because I just wasn’t wowed by this one. I really liked it, I did! But I wasn’t entirely captivated by it.

The prologue had me GASPING. I mean, that’s a pretty big BANG to start the story off with. So after that, it felt a little slow and draggy. There was sooo much intensity that it dulled a bit as the story opened up more.

There’s some definite insta-love going on here. When Eureka first meets Ander, there’s this immediate, deep connection that she feels that she continuously talks herself out of until BAM! she loves him. It’s not that I hate insta-love–if the situation is convincing enough for me, I will LOVE it. But it seemed like she had nothing but doubts about him and then all of a sudden she loves him without even having that much interaction with him.

BUT I can’t fault Ander for that because he’s been looking out for her his whole life; he’s developed this deep devotion for her and he would do anything to keep her safe. So I’m over here thinking, *swoon* Ander is a dreamboat. It’s just Eureka’s insta-love for him that has me feeling ‘meh’ about her feelings, but not his.

And then there’s BROOKS, whose whole situation I’m upset about. The best friend, always there for her even when no one else was, the one you talk to about anything and EVERYTHING and that’s what happens to him? Come ON! NO! It’s frustrating is what it is, because all of a sudden he has these cruel moments that are not like him AT ALL and I don’t like it. I want the real Brooks back!

Basically I love Ander AND Brooks, so don’t ask me to pick between them;) And I like Eureka, but feel ‘meh’ about her sometimes.

The premise of this story is really interesting, though. Having the whole maiden’s-tears-swallowed-Atlantis version kept reminding me of Alice’s ocean of tears in Wonderland, you know? And I love me some Alice, so reading about this version of the legend was SUPER cool.

All in all, I enjoyed the story! It just wasn’t a ‘WHOA, WOW, YES!’ kind of experience. I am looking forward to the next book, Waterfall, slated for publication on October 28 of this year! For me this was a

3.8/5 stars;) ( )
  danitronmc | Mar 3, 2014 |
Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 2.5 Controllers
Review Source: Publisher
Reviewer: Me

This review will be short and to the point. Despite my love-hate, hate-love relationship with this overly dramatic novel, I couldn’t stop reading. And for some unknown reason, kept on reading until the very end. While I had EXTREMELY high hopes for Teardrop, nothing stops me from connecting with a book like long-winded prose and endless amounts of telling. Also, the stereotypical characters became increasingly annoying, as the book dragged on….and on….and on. Really, I think Teardrop could have worked better if much of the purple prose and nauseating descriptions were cut. Who needs paragraphs of description for characters? Not this chick. Especially if you are not backing up your descriptions with the characters actions. Before we even get to the serious action, which by the way takes FOREVER to get to, we have to deal with Eureka Boudreaux’s wishy-washy and judgmental personality.

I have to admit, I was hooked on the story right from the beginning. Eureka’s mother is killed and Eureka herself is almost killed, in one of the most horrific and dramatic scenes I’ve ever read. With that kind of beginning you can see why I was deeply intrigued. Then the next 100 or so pages all travel downhill from there. I think the only reason I kept reading was to piece together the clues of what her mother entrusted to her - a locket, a letter, and a mysterious stone. Which we, the readers, know it has something to do with the mysterious boy Ander, her mothers past, and Atlantis. But getting to the actual discovery parts of the novel was tiring to read. However, if you made it far enough into the mythology of the book, the story finally becomes interesting again. Teardrop is 400 pages, and by the time you reach the good stuff, you’ve spent 200 pages bored and listening to her inner monologues with her bland personality.

The characterization of everyone in Teardrop made me do more than one *face-palm*. At one point, Eureka and her BFF Cat go to a neighboring high school to find the infamous Ander and Cat changes her clothes into something very…how can I put this…trashy, and Eureka has the nerve to say (and I’m paraphrasing because I don’t have the book in front of me) “I wonder if they perceive her as half-white like all the people at our school perceive me as half-black”. *side eye* WTF!!!???????!!!!! I had to read this sentence five times and decided if I was even going to finish the novel. Why would she even make this throwaway statement? Why does she even think the kids are her school would perceive her as half-black? I’m so confused, and have to wonder if Eureka wasn’t a little presumptuous in her thought.

When I started writing this review, I began with a 3.5 rating. Then, the more I wrote the more irate I became which has brought my rating down a couple of notches. Come to find out, I guess I really didn’t like Eureka at all. Even though I enjoyed the world-building (once we got to it), the characters just didn’t please me as I’d hoped. I haven’t even discussed her wicked stepmother or Ander who is utterly creeptastic. Having never read anything by this author, Teardrop leaves me less than enthused to pick up anything else Kate has written.

If you want to read an exceptional novel with AMAZING female characters I suggest you try:

Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2) by Sarah J. Maas
Siege and Storm (The Grisha #2) by Leigh Bardugo
Just One Day (Just One Day #1) by Gayle Forman

At least you won’t be bored to death with these novels! ( )
  momgamerwriter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Being a huge fan if the Fallen Series I got excited when I saw the release of Teardrop, Kate Lauren's latest series. And I have to say I was not disappointed. Teardrop tells the story of Eureka from the point of her mothers death when she was saved at the last moment by the Seedbarer sent to kill her. Enter Ander, who has spent his whole life watching her, learning about her, all with the aim of stopping her from fulfilling the prophecy foretelling her coming and the rise of Atlantis. But in spending his life observing her, he fell in love. Now I'm not going to tell you more of the story line as you really need to enjoy the twists turns and surprises for yourself. This is a great story and I'm excited about the prospect of the second and more books in this new series. ( )
  KerryMarsh | Jan 31, 2014 |
I was a bit disappointed. Had to force myself to finish the book. I've read through all her fallen series and enjoyed all but the last book. Teardrop is just missing something. ( )
  ChachaCenteno | Jan 29, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375990690, Library Binding)

The first in a new series by Lauren Kate, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Fallen series, TEARDROP is an epic saga of heart-stopping romance, devastating secrets, and dark magic . . . a world where everything you love can be washed away.

Never, ever cry. . . . Eureka Boudreaux's mother drilled that rule into her daughter years ago. But now her mother is gone, and everywhere Eureka goes he is there: Ander, the tall, pale blond boy who seems to know things he shouldn't, who tells Eureka she is in grave danger, who comes closer to making her cry than anyone has before.

But Ander doesn't know Eureka's darkest secret: ever since her mother drowned in a freak accident, Eureka wishes she were dead, too. She has little left that she cares about, just her oldest friend, Brooks, and a strange inheritance—a locket, a letter, a mysterious stone, and an ancient book no one understands. The book contains a haunting tale about a girl who got her heart broken and cried an entire continent into the sea. Eureka is about to discover that the ancient tale is more than a story, that Ander might be telling the truth . . . and that her life has far darker undercurrents than she ever imagined.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:30 -0400)

Since Eureka's mother drowned, she wishes she were dead too, but after discovering that an ancient book is more than a story Eureka begins to believe that Ander is right about her being involved in strange things--and in grave danger.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,488,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible