Teardrop (Teardrop Trilogy) by Lauren Kate

Teardrop (Teardrop Trilogy)

by Lauren Kate

1911761,769 (3.59)3

Good start to a series that has a fresh take on the mythology theme. May have been more detail and description than needed. Feels like things only finally get going at the end of the book. However, readers will be curious to find out what is next in this unpredictable series. Two possible love interests in a fun part of the plot. Audio reading was good. ( )
  edellaporta | Jul 13, 2014 |
What a beautiful cover and one that may inspire others to buy this novel just for the cover.Now,is the rest of author lauren Kate's book as successful as the beauty of her covers? A resoundidng yes, even though the plot is complex. At times, I used my scanning abilities to get past some of the descriptions she presented, but as mystery after mystery unfolded, I back traced and reread a few places Ihad skipped over. Not your normal way of reading but not a normal girl loves boy romantic novel, as therproblems surfaced.

the beginning of the world hurled at me confused me, but the author built on that and I found her pacing quite good in the end. Did I like Eureka? Not sure, and I am still thinking about her, as much of her character traits were left out., Perhaps the author wants me to fill them in. Hmmm. The next book may distinguish some of the characters more and yet, I didn't feel let down by "Teardrop".
Who would think that Eureka surviving a car crash would produce such a good plot? I heartily recommend this book to those who like this genre, a paranormal novel for 14 and up. All of the ingredients are here for mystical plots, so I say heartily "Go for it". ( )
  bakersfieldbarbara | Jun 24, 2014 |
OH MY GOD I LOVE THIS BOOK – is what I said before the cliffhanger.
But seriously it’s a good one. The summary on the book made me hold off on reading this one because it just sounded so bland and sappy but once I forced myself to read it I finished it in one night (I went to work late the next day…sorry not sorry)
Eureka can’t cry, actually she can cry but she forces herself not to because of a traumatic experience when she was a kid that made her suppress any tear from there on out. Lately it’s hard to keep suppressing those tears because for one, her mom died in a freak tidal wave accident, her stepmom is forcing her to go to a shrink, her best friend is acting weird and there’s something about that cute pale faced blonde boy named Ander that frustrates her. But she never cries. Something that catches her interest is a book she inherits from her late mother about a forbidden romance written in an ancient language that takes her a while to get translated. She starts to connect the dots and realizes that maybe her mother’s death wasn’t an accident, there’s a specific reason she feels drawn to the mystery behind Ander’s sudden appearance in her life, and why she can’t ever let out a single tear.
If you don’t like wuv twiangos then stay away. It’s pretty much there till the last minute, plus the two dudes pining for Eureka are swoon worthy for sure…if you can get past the stalkerish ways of Ander the Seedbearer (yeah I still don’t like that name) in the beginning of the book…which I kind of did. I guess another con would be the sad treatment of the women in the novel. I don’t want to get my feminist mouth entangled in what could be my own exaggeration but yeah…MOVING ON
Now that the cons are out of the way let’s get down to the good. I love the fantasy aspect of the book, it doesn’t expand too much on it but the “translation of the book” bits and parts are really revealing and when (*spoiler Ander explains the purpose of his people it sheds a light into the good guys and bad guys though it is a bit ambiguous so far…in my opinion*) Eureka is a pretty decent main character because she’s not fake about her feelings towards those trying to soften the loss of her mother. She either finds them extremely annoying or she sympathizes towards them. She’s close to her half siblings and I really loved her best friend. Most of the characters were well developed and those that weren’t (unfortunately Ander is kind of one of those and even to a certain extent so was Eureka, she never got past the anger of surviving the accident) seem to be those that will be expanded upon in the next novel of the series.
I LOOOOOOOOOVED it. But the characters weren’t as well developed as I’d have liked. ( )
  Jessika.C | Jun 23, 2014 |
Eureka's story begins when she and her mother are hit by a rogue wave that sweeps their car off a bridge, and kills her mom. Eureka is saved by a mysterious boy, Ander, who later resurfaces in the story as someone who has been watching her since she was born. He is supposed to be the one to kill her, to prevent the prophecy about her from coming true. Supposedly, her tears will cause a flood which will allow Atlantis to resurface, and the horrible, cruel Atlanteans to rule again. Ander doesn't believe that the resurfacing will automatically be a bad thing, and he isn't willing to kill Eureka because he loves her. This is book one in a new series by the same author as the Fallen series. ( )
  JRlibrary | May 19, 2014 |
Good fantasy book. The main character suffers the lost of her mother and a mysterious boy becomes known to her. The book left one too many loose ends. The story includes murder so it may be classified as a YA book. ( )
  AmberEgan | Apr 25, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375990690, Library Binding)

The first in a new series by Lauren Kate, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Fallen series, TEARDROP is an epic saga of heart-stopping romance, devastating secrets, and dark magic . . . a world where everything you love can be washed away.

Never, ever cry. . . . Eureka Boudreaux's mother drilled that rule into her daughter years ago. But now her mother is gone, and everywhere Eureka goes he is there: Ander, the tall, pale blond boy who seems to know things he shouldn't, who tells Eureka she is in grave danger, who comes closer to making her cry than anyone has before.

But Ander doesn't know Eureka's darkest secret: ever since her mother drowned in a freak accident, Eureka wishes she were dead, too. She has little left that she cares about, just her oldest friend, Brooks, and a strange inheritance—a locket, a letter, a mysterious stone, and an ancient book no one understands. The book contains a haunting tale about a girl who got her heart broken and cried an entire continent into the sea. Eureka is about to discover that the ancient tale is more than a story, that Ander might be telling the truth . . . and that her life has far darker undercurrents than she ever imagined.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:30 -0400)

Since Eureka's mother drowned, she wishes she were dead too, but after discovering that an ancient book is more than a story Eureka begins to believe that Ander is right about her being involved in strange things--and in grave danger.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,489,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible