Teardrop by Lauren Kate

Teardrop (edition 2013)

by Lauren Kate (Author)

Series: Teardrop (1)

Since Eureka's mother drowned, she wishes she were dead too, but after discovering that an ancient book is more than a story Eureka begins to believe that Ander is right about her being involved in strange things--and in grave danger.
Member:devon_snedden
Title:Teardrop
Authors:Lauren Kate (Author)
Info:Doubleday Children's Books (2013)

Teardrop by Lauren Kate

Recently added byArina40, cherrytomato

I won this book through Goodreads First Reads. I haven't read Fallen, but thought I'd give this a go because it looked interesting. Here's what I liked and disliked about it:

Bad points

☹ Annoying main character
Eureka, the main character, is really really whiny. No, she never cries, but she does go on and on about how terrible everything is. Maybe if she could cry and get it all out of her system she wouldn’t be like that, but she is, and it's annoying. Some of her decisions are rather silly too, and her reactions to some things were just stupid and unrealistic. When two guys start going for each other with you standing between them you don't just stand silently and think, do you?

☹ Childish names
Eureka's grandmother is called Sugar, which just sounds like a character from a Jacqueline Wilson book for kids. And Eureka itself is not a particularly normal name either. It doesn't feel realistic to have characters named Eureka and Sugar.

☹ Like a Disney film
This is a YA book, and yet we have little birdies who whisper in people's ears. Literally. I know this is fantasy but you really need to draw a line between young adult fantasy and what you'd find in a picture book or Disney movie.

☹ Pointless parts
Some parts of Teardrop just seem like they're completely unneeded and just there to get the author's word count up. There are repetitive, pointless descriptions of trivial things and whole scenes which are not at all important to the story.

☹ Love Trianle
Enough said.

Good Points

☺ It has a really nice cover.
I just love the water dress and think it's a very striking cover, in a lovely colour too. Not really that relevant but it at least looks good on your shelves.

☺ The idea had potential
Lauren Kate didn't do a good job in writing this book, but at least she had a good idea. I like the idea of having a girl who can't cry and mixing it up with some Greek mythology. It could have been a really good book. It just wasn't written right.

So yeah, bad for outweighs good, hence the two star rating. Definitely won't be reading Fallen now. ( )
  Lilac22 | Oct 4, 2020 |
Never, ever cry. . . . Eureka Boudreaux's mother drilled that rule into her daughter years ago. But now her mother is gone, and everywhere Eureka goes he is there: Ander, the tall, pale blond boy who seems to know things he shouldn't, who tells Eureka she is in grave danger, who comes closer to making her cry than anyone has before.

But Ander doesn't know Eureka's darkest secret: ever since her mother drowned in a freak accident, Eureka wishes she were dead, too. She has little left that she cares about, just her oldest friend, Brooks, and a strange inheritance—a locket, a letter, a mysterious stone, and an ancient book no one understands. The book contains a haunting tale about a girl who got her heart broken and cried an entire continent into the sea
  Gmomaj | Jan 25, 2020 |
Wow, never have I read a book that started so strong to fall so, so flat in the last 50 pages. Starts of really great with this whole Atlantis vibe, then it gets weird with the whole no crying thing. it really derails though with the whole possession and try to make the girl cry stuff. Seriously such a garbage book, and the main character is such a raging bitch.

All in all, i would very much like to have this book scrubbed from my mind. Except for a lingering feeling of never read that again. So disappointing to feel like that about a book that started so strong. ( )
  thebacklistbook | Apr 24, 2019 |
Teardrop starts with a car accident.

In this accident, Eureka loses her mother and her best friend. She’s supposed to die too, but doesn’t, because of a mysterious stranger. She’s blocked this all from her mind, and the only thing therapy has gotten her is really pissed off at her step-mum. We snoop into a useless therapy session with a useless therapist and then Eureka leaves and promptly gets into another car accident.

If I were Eureka, I’d lose my mind. Much like Eureka, car accidents mean devastating loss, and every time I drive it is in complete terror of another one. Just me, I guess. Sooo, she gets hit by this hot guy and freaks out a little, and cries a single tear.

ALMOST.

Hot guy scoops up the tear and puts it in his eye, because that’s not creepy at all.

Then they are in love. Only they can’t tell each other, because, ugh, who falls in love at first sight? (Seriously, OMG, stop it). That sets the tone of the book pretty well.

Eureka isn’t all that bad.

Honestly, if you get past how cheesy she is with Ander or “new” Brooks, she’s a pretty real teen. She’s suffered a trauma, she’s dealing with it, and while I don’t subscribe to her theory that all therapists are useless, she’s behaving in a completely realistic way for a girl whose lost someone she loved passionately and has to readjust to life. On top of that, she also lives with the stigma of a suicide attempt (I DO NOT ENDORSE THIS), and I think that the discussion of that depth of depression is something we don’t see in fiction. And should. Because it’s real.

I actually really enjoyed the bits of Eureka’s life when she wasn’t being a lovesick puppet. She was broken and beautiful and needing a friend very much. But here’s the thing. Eureka isn’t alone. She has her family, who supports her the best they know how. And she’s got Cat. Cat is actually fabulous.

I really really really love the myth of Atlantis. So I’ve got to ask, why does all the fiction about it lead to disappointment?

Okay, so lets talk about Atlantis as its presented in this book. I’ll be as brief and vague as possible.

Atlantis is sunk (obviously, that’s what it does). It got underwater because two lovers ran off on their other lover-peoples and their boat sunk and they got separated and as far as I can tell, someone cried it under the sea? In order to get Atlantis to come back to the surface, it has to be cried to the surface. And when someone from the proper line cries, it causes a monsoon? Honestly not sure how that’s going to work out.

In short, Eureka is Kida and this is a weird Atlantis story. I don’t think the story is going anywhere really interesting? I’m basically just seeing more love triangle and less Atlantis in the future and I’m not really excited about that.

Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram ( )
  Morteana | Dec 6, 2017 |
I thought this book was extremely depressing and to be honest, the entire point of the story was a little confusing. The back story didn't really provide reasoning for the extreme actions of characters in the present.

So, maybe I'm daft, but I didn't really get it. I gave it 3 stars because I was intrigued enough to finish the book. Maybe because I was hoping that it would make sense. ??

The cover is awesome, though. ( )
  Raeadav | Mar 25, 2016 |

Kate, Laurenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anderson, ColinJacket Artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carlino, AngelaBook Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Link, MichaelaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mateo, Naomi RiscoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, M. C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,436,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible