March: Book One by John Lewis

March: Book One (2013)

by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin (Author), Nate Powell (Artist)

Other authors: Nate Powell (Designer), Chris Ross (Designer)

Series: March (1)

English (104)  French (1)  All languages (105)
Outstanding graphic memoir starting with the birth of the civil rights movement and framed with Obama's inauguration.

Simply told story of lunch counter sit ins and a non-violent revolution that occurred in recent history. I will chase down the next two volumes right away. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Autobiographical black-and-white graphic novel about the Civil Rights Movement, told through the eyes of civil rights leader and U.S. Congressman John Lewis. I've seen Lewis on the news, but I really didn't know what exactly was his part in the movement - I will now listen even more intently whenever I see him. Extremely interesting story at the same time as being an important historical document that should be read by everyone living in the US, as well as everyone else. ( )
  -Eva- | Feb 26, 2019 |
This is a graphic book about John Lewis' beginnings in the civil rights movement. It was very factually accurate and concise. I bought this because our County library was asking everyone to read it. I will see if I can get the grandkids to read it. This is important history for all of us! ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
John Lewis, now serving as a member of the US Congress, is a black civil right leaders, one of the "Big Six".

This exquisitely drawn graphic novel tells about the first part of his life, particularly his participation in Nashville boycotts of businesses who wouldn't serve black customers.

Seems pretty legit to me, but since Lewis himself is the co-author, there's always a chance this may be a bit of a fluff piece and I do not know enough about him or the American civil rights movements back then to tell if that's indeed the case. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
So. Very. Good. The whole trilogy is highly recommended.

This graphic novel series recounts civil rights leader and US Representative John Lewis' childhood and involvement in the civil rights movement, from restaurant sit-ins in Nashville all the way to Selma and the passage of the 1965 Voting Rights Act. This moving personal and societal history is framed as memories coming to him on the day of President Obama's inauguration in January 2009.

The courage these people had, it takes my breath away. To know you could be jailed, beaten, or killed. To have your compatriots murdered worked with your cause and for your organization. To face government and police and county registrars actively, loudly, and proudly - and unlawfully - refusing to allow you to register to vote, to peacefully assemble; who would stop at nothing to prevent having to share power. In the face of that, to stand up again and again to march and protest, all for the right to vote. These folks are American heroes.

Using the graphic format - stark black and white - was powerful. The artist did an amazing job. An example: the bleak night-of-the-soul moments, where text was white against a mostly black page, the words dripping away into silence. Or the showing the movement of an arm holding a billy club arcing across the page - linear format fallen by the wayside - as it descended towards someone's head.

I was especially moved by stories around the passage of the Voting Rights Act in volume 3 and the quotes from President Johnson's speeches of the time. (This was also my reaction to the movie Selma; also highly recommended). The right to vote, the ability to vote, is the true cornerstone of democracy. African-Americans had that legal right in the US for 100 years at the time of the Civil Rights movement, but most did not have the ability, and systemic forces were bent on keeping that racist status quo for 100 years.

So far we've come and also so far back we've slid. The fierce fight for the right to vote - that people gave their lives for - that right has been chipped away at in so many states (and so many from the South!) that want to suppress some categories of voters, and by the Supreme Court as well. Those 100 years of Jim Crow and voter suppression live on in new waves of voter intimidation and disenfranchisement. And, just like elections when people of color were prevented from registering to vote, elections today are putting people who historically had a lot of power into elected office and silencing the voice of true democracy.

This trilogy is a great way to learn about - or teach - this important part of American history, and the lessons it has for us today. ( )
  chavala | Dec 29, 2018 |

John Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aydin, AndrewAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Powell, NateArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Powell, NateDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ross, ChrisDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Walton, LeighPublicitysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the past and future children of the movement.
Can you swim? John?

A graphic novel trilogy based on the life of civil rights leader and congressman John Lewis.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,548,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible