March: Book One by John Lewis

March: Book One (original 2013; edition 2013)

by John Lewis (Author)

Series: March (1)

Member:the_darling_copilots
Title:March: Book One
Authors:John Lewis (Author)
Info:Top Shelf Productions (2013), Edition: 1st, 128 pages
Rating:*****

March: Book One by John Lewis (2013)

English (93)  French (1)  All languages (94)
The trilogy of March were very, very good reads. Of course a twelve year old can't fully understand all of the depth in a story like this, but I felt very inspired by John Lewis's life. Most people don't even know who John Lewis is, which is why these three books are so important. They take you through the ups and mostly downs of John Lewis's life, from beginning to end, it explains, how he grew up dreaming to one day preach to real people instead of just his chickens, about how he wants to end segregation, and all of the racism going on. He made that dream a reality, and that takes got, and lots and lots of hard work. Of course I think Martin Luther King JR is incredible, but sometimes it's even more fascinating to learn about the people who fought by his side.The less unknown activists, just like John Lewis. I fully recommend this book. I hope you enjoy it if you read it! ( )
  EllaT. | Aug 11, 2018 |
Wow! Really caught me by surprise. Expected another dry, boring, good-for-you history lesson and instead found myself engrossed in a story that gave me a better understanding of the civil rights struggle than just about anything I've ever read on the subject. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
This has been a hugely popular graphic novel series. It would be one I would promote in order to get students interested in the series. The story begins the morning of Obama's inauguration when twins visit Congressman John Lewis's office in D.C. Their conversation is a jumping-off point to delve into the biography of John Lewis and a history of the civil rights movement through his eyes. It is a graphic novel but has high-level vocabulary. The story hooks readers in and weaves easily between past and present. The images are compelling and convey much of the emotion of the story. The book doesn't sugar coat the history and words like s.o.b. are included as is the n-word. What I found unique about this story was that Lewis outlines the careful, instrumental steps taken in the actions depicted. For example, he talks about the lunch counter sit-ins he participated in and how he and his group went to the department store lunch counters and asked to be served, but were turned away several times. Typically, books jump right into the protest action and don't discuss this build-up to it. These books are great for getting kids into learning about the civil rights movement in a way that is not too text-heavy.
  claireelam | Jul 22, 2018 |
I started this graphic memoir about 45 minutes ago, and I didn't put it down until I finished it. March is the powerful recollection of John Lewis's early life and the beginnings of his participation in the civil rights movement. I have to admit that I got a little teary-eyed when he said, "I loved going to the library... and I'll never forget my librarian, Coreen Harvey," who is illustrated telling the children at the library, "My dear children, read. Read everything." I can't recommend this enough, and I look forward to reading the next two installments. ( )
  captainmander | Jul 19, 2018 |
Wonderful, powerful graphic memoir by John Lewis about his experiences in the Civil Rights Movement. Vol. 1 mostly focuses on his childhood and introduction to nonviolence through the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee (SNCC). Also portrays efforts to desegregate public businesses in various locations in Alabama. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jul 15, 2018 |

John Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aydin, AndrewAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Powell, NateArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Powell, NateDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ross, ChrisDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Walton, LeighPublicitysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the past and future children of the movement.
Can you swim? John?

A graphic novel trilogy based on the life of civil rights leader and congressman John Lewis.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,826,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible