Zipporah, Wife of Moses by Marek Halter

Zipporah, Wife of Moses

by Marek Halter

English (14)  French (1)  All languages (15)
Good book.....disappointing ending.

I enjoyed this book, though at times it 'dragged' a little. Obviously it is only very loosely based on the Bible. It is an imaginative work. I'd read the other reviews before I read the book and went in expecting to be disappointed. It is true that I did not find it as good as Sarah, but it was still an enjoyable book for me. Though there was some 'racism' in the book, I didn't find this to be as large a factor in the book as I'd been led to believe by the reviews. Zipporah was treated as an outsider by her inlaws, with much jealously displayed, and this was attributed to race, but the bottom line was her sister-in-law and her sister didn't like her; were jealous of her; and racism was as good an excuse as any. They would have found another reason if this one weren't so convenient. The one thing I didn't like in this was how Moses' sibs came off as so petty.
Having said that, I DID enjoy the book right up until the end. It ended much too abrubtly. Not wanting to give away the end,I will only say I found it disappointing. In general, if I don't like the way a book ends, I won't like the book, but I still found this one to be worth reading.
  Time2Read2 | Mar 31, 2013 |
A novelization of the story of Zipporah, Moses wife, this is not quite at the level of Anita Diamant's The Red Tent. The characters aren't fully drawn and not very much happens. ( )
  odkins | May 28, 2010 |
I found this quite disappointing. The switch mid-story to first person perspective was jarring, and strange, because nothing changed about the narrative except Zipporah was now saying "I did this" instead of an observer saying "Zipporah did this." I can't think of any good reason for it - I mean, it doesn't heighten the emotional impact or entertainment value.

Also, the constant emphasis of Zipporah's Cushite appearance was annoying. Halter keeps bringing it up, as if we would forget the color of her skin, and in the most awkward phrases. From the epilogue - Without Zipporah, would he have known the beauty of a black woman, a stranger? I mean, was that really necessary? Wouldn't the beauty of a woman or the love of a woman and faithful wife be better? Why does Halter specifically need to single out the beauty of a black woman? To me, it's almost as if he's exhibiting her exoticness, as if that is the only distinguishing characteristic she has. It's Orientalism, except focused on the African instead of the Asia. (Is there a term for that? I don't know, to be honest.)

Zipporah always seemed a distant character to me. She's this Strong Independent Opinioned Black Woman for most of the novel, until a few weeks amongst the Hebrews turns her into a shadow of her former self. She runs from the stress of the situation instead of confronting the people. Otherwise, she's always so wise, so patient, so pretty, so PERFECT that she's unbelievable and unreal.

Anyway. The narrative doesn't quite match up with the Biblical account of Moses' life. It started out somewhat interesting, at least, but as the story went on it became more predictable and rote until the final chapters were disappointing. It's like Halter phoned most of the book in because it was a project he'd committed to, but didn't want to work on anymore. ( )
  makaiju | Jan 29, 2010 |
Enjoyed this book. Nice quick read. Brings the Bible story Moses to life. ( )
  bridgetmarkwood | Jan 29, 2010 |
Opening Sentence: '…That day, and all the days that followed, Horeb remained silent…’

The second in a trilogy - Halter tells the story of Zipporah, the wife of Moses.

Information about her is scanty so her story is made up around the few facts that are known - this is not Christian fiction, and if you read it as that you will be sorely disappointed. However if you read it as a fictional look at Biblical times it is a very interesting story.

A stranger comes into Jethro's lands and he acept Moses into his community. Moses and Zipporah fall in love and have a child, but she won't marry him as she believes his destiny lies in Egypt. After their second child is born they travel to Egypt and marry on the way. Moses obeys God and the Hebrew slaves are set free and travel into the wilderness. The story ends when the ten commandments are recieved - in fact it ends very abruptly.

There are true biblical facts here, and some of it is based on Bible stories - but 90% of it is fiction. If you accept this fact you will enjoy it much better. ( )
  sally906 | Aug 9, 2009 |

Focuses on the life of Zipporah, the adopted Ethiopian daughter of Jethro, high priest of the Midanites, who became the consort of Moses and who played a vital role in supporting Moses in returning to Egypt to lead the Israelite slaves to freedom.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,430,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible