Anton & Cecil - Cats at Sea by Lisa Martin

Anton & Cecil - Cats at Sea (original 2013; edition 2015)

by Lisa Martin (Author), Valerie Martin (Author), Kelly Murphy (Illustrator)

The high-seas adventures of two cat brothers.
Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Anton & Cecil - Cats at Sea
Authors:Lisa Martin (Author)
Other authors:Valerie Martin (Author), Kelly Murphy (Illustrator)
Info:Chapel Hill NC : Algonquin Young Readers, 2015, c2013
Collections:Read, Read this year, Discarded, Cover done, BOMBs
Rating:***
Tags:!ALA:S2015, Childrens, Fic

Anton and Cecil: Cats at Sea by Lisa Martin (2013)

Mildly interesting adventure, written for children. The cats - Anton and Cecil, and several others - are vividly drawn and quite convincingly catlike; their adventures, much less so. Anton, the homelover, gets shanghaied onto a ship; Cecil, who's long wanted to sail, goes out to "rescue" him. The way they end up meeting is highly unlikely on many levels - where did the people go (Marie Celeste? But that was a bigger ship, I think)? And have there really been cat, and mouse, and ferret generations repeating a prophesy about something so mundane? Eh. Cute story, happy ending, not for me. Though I probably will read the sequel, since I have it. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Feb 4, 2020 |
Cute book for older kids (grades 3-6). It will appeal to those who like stories with talking animals. Also good for siblings, as we have two cat brothers who are different but definitely love each other.

Cecil and Anton live in a sea-side village and are very different. An unexpected incident puts one of them in danger, and the other must go to the rescue.

The book brings in some fantasy elements (and as the book moves forward it definitely leans towards the fantasy side of talking animal stories), and has a nod to the famous "Mary Celeste", although this will leave most of the intended readers a bit confused. Some nice illustrations add to the story. ( )
  Bill.Bradford | Feb 23, 2015 |
I'm not a big fan of books with anthropomorphic animals, but this was great fun. The language is lovely and the descriptions are delightful. The animals do very animal like things, but we are privy to their thoughts. These two brothers are very lovable. The adventure very real though at points it stretches into the fantastic. Thank you Algonquin for sharing this wonderful title with me through NetGalley. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Anton and Cecil are brothers, but the two cats could not be more unalike. Cecil is an adventurous black cat, big and bold, and instead of being scared by the tales of cats being kidnapped to go on ships he rather thinks it would be an adventure. Anton, a small gray cat, really only loves music and can't even be bothered to catch food most of the time. Despite Cecil's brief trips to sea on a fishing ship, it is Anton who is catnapped and stolen away and Cecil who must venture forth on a hopeless quest to find them.

As they cross the ocean, a mystical prophecy of finding what they've lost when they see a cat's eye keeps them going as they endure shipwrecks, storms, pirates, deserted islands, terrifying creatures and a whale who may or may not be friendly.

This story felt very old-fashioned to me, but I enjoyed it even so. Although some of the publicity bills it as an adventure tale, readers picking it up and expecting thrills and excitement will be disappointed. It's an older genre of animal story, where the animals are more anthropomorphous and the action is gentler, even when it involves something that could be scary like shipwrecks or pirates. It reminded me of the Doctor Dolittle stories with their special quality of mild danger, gentle humor, and enjoyment of simple storytelling.

Verdict: This won't be for every kid, most of whom prefer the more genre-ized modern fiction but if you have fans of Kate DiCamillo they may enjoy this return to an older, gentler storytelling tradition.

ISBN: 9781616202460; Published October 8, 2013 by Algonquin Young Readers/Workman Publishing; ARC provided by the publisher at ALA annual 2013
  JeanLittleLibrary | Nov 3, 2013 |
Most cats hate water and cringe when the dreaded word 'bath' is spoken out loud. Water is only used for the rain or the liquid that keeps there nine lives going. There is no way a 'normal' cat would seek the water, let alone the sea. This book is about two cats that come from a world where felines are indentured servants on various ships throughout the ocean. It is a story about of two brothers that heed the call of the sea and find themselves lost. Both experience unique circumstances in the vast oceans that introduce the reader to the world of sailors and pirates. Neither has the same story, but both are determined to be reunited. Throughout the book various feline characters are introduced that show the uniqueness of this feline world. Cats are given personalities of people and are often more intelligent than their human companions. Lives are torn astray and hearts are mended in this book. Time after time the brothers demonstrate that cats truly have nine lives and are one of the most intelligent animals in existence. Will the brothers reunite without grave danger to themselves? Can they truly return to land and ignore the call of the sea? Can the brothers stop future brother and sister cats from being captured and indentured?

I truly enjoyed this book and thought is was a very refreshing read. I have never really read anything like this and plan on keeping it for my daughter. It is a very wholesome story that teaches many life lessons for children and I feel both parent and child will enjoy this book. This story would make a wonderful addition to any homeschooling program. I have homeschooled my children in the past for 5 years and often used books like this for book reports. This story would make an excellent subject for a book report, outline, or reading log. For those that are Christian homeschoolers I really feel this book brings a great source of moral education. It teaches children how to cope with difficult situations and how to find the positive in life when all you see is the negative. I highly recommend this book and feel that it has a lot of potential and would make a wonderful addition to any homeschooling or traditional library. I must thank both goodreads and the author for sending me this book in a goodreads giveaway. I enjoyed it very much and plan on hanging onto it for my seven year old special needs daughter. I look forward to other books by the authors. ( )
  Jennifer35k | Oct 9, 2013 |

Lisa Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Martin, Valeriemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Murphy, Kellysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Lisa Martin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,340,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible