Raising Steam (Discworld) by Terry Pratchett

Raising Steam (Discworld) (edition 2014)

by Terry Pratchett (Author)

1,686784,238 (3.78)2 / 100
Title:Raising Steam (Discworld)
Authors:Terry Pratchett (Author)
Info:Anchor (2014), 384 pages

Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett

English (77)  Norwegian (1)  All (78)
2.5 honestly. This book seemed *really* different from Sir's others.... my fave characters from the city are there, yet diminished, or simply mentioned. The plot was choppy. Not as good as the earlier Moist von Lipwig stories, the plot was choppy.
And maybe, being an American female, I just don't get the trainspotting allure. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
I wasn't crazy about this Discworld book, in large part because I'm not a fan of Moist Von Lipwig as a character but also because I felt, for the first time in reading Pratchett's work, that it needed some judicious editing. The story is overlong, and there are a lot of repetitive descriptions/dialogues that could have been excised. Nonetheless, sub-par Pratchett is still enjoyable. ( )
  mrsmig | Jan 19, 2018 |
Oh my - it really shouldn't take this long to read a book especially one you're actually enjoying! But after several months of barely picking it up I've got back into the habit of reading again and wolfed down the second half in just over a week. Good fun, but somehow feels like something was missing, not sure what. Matthew lives the pictures of the train wheels inside the covers :) ( )
  lnr_blair | Jan 15, 2018 |
Raising Steam - Pratchett
Audio performance by Steven Briggs
3 stars

I’ve been listening to Discworld novels as they become available to me through overdrive. This means I’m consuming them completely out of order. That doesn’t seem to interfere with my enjoyment at all. This book is (I think) the last one published before Pratchett died. It features most of the best known characters in one way or another.

Lord Vetinari marshals his forces to place Ankh- Morpork at the forefront of the steam locomotion industry. Moist Von Lipwig takes on the organization, management, and development of the new technology. Sam Vimes must deal with the consequences of social disruption. The liberal and conservative factions of the dwarf kingdom are at odds again. There’s a revolution in the making.

The book wandered a bit, reminding me a few times of the interminable events in Pratchett’s The Long Earth. I still enjoyed the characters and the satire, even if I did lose the threads of the storytelling now and then. There’s plenty of social commentary amid the fantasy and fun, but it didn’t seem as biting as in the few earlier books that I have read. I was contented to soak in the good feelings of a happily-ever-after ending.

“The grags came down heavily on those who did not conform and seemed not to realize that this was like stamping potatoes into the mud to stop them growing.”

“Mister Lipwig, the world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. It's just a matter of thinking creatively.” ( )
  msjudy | Oct 12, 2017 |
Still finding Pratchett a bit of struggle these days. This book took a long long time to come up to the boil and then it felt anti-climactic when it did. I know I'm in trouble when I'm checking page numbers to see how much further I've got to go. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
Pratchett's unforgettable characters and lively story mirror the best, the worst, and the oddest bits of our own world, entertaining readers while skewering social and political foibles in a melting pot of humanity, dwarfs, trolls, goblins, vampires, and a werewolf or two.
added by melmore | editPublisher's Weekly (Feb 24, 2014)
If sometimes the mighty engine of Pratchett's prose skids a bit on the upslope – a tad didactic here, a little heavy-handed in its moralising there – we can forgive him. Not least because he remains one of the most consistently funny writers around; a master of the stealth simile, the time-delay pun and the deflationary three-part list .
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Ben Aaronovitch (Nov 27, 2013)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, ClaireCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilkins, RobAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David Pratchett and Jim Wilkins, both fine engineers
who taught their sons to be curious.
It is hard to understand nothing, but the multiverse is full of it.
"While it's easy to deal with stupid, bloody stupid is hard to erase."

Steam is rising over Discworld, driven by Mister Simnel, the man with a flat cap and a sliding rule. He has produced a great clanging monster of a machine that harnesses the power of all of the elements—earth, air, fire, and water—and it’s soon drawing astonished crowds.

To the consternation of Ankh-Morpork’s formidable Patrician, Lord Vetinari, no one is in charge of this new invention. This needs to be rectified, and who better than the man he has already appointed master of the Post Office, the Mint, and the Royal Bank: Moist von Lipwig. Moist is not a man who enjoys hard work—unless it is dependent on words, which are not very heavy and don’t always need greasing. He does enjoy being alive, however, which makes a new job offer from Vetinari hard to refuse.

Moist will have to grapple with gallons of grease, goblins, a fat controller with a history of throwing employees down the stairs, and some very angry dwarfs if he’s going to stop it all from going off the rails . . .

Change is afoot in Ankh-Morpork - Discworld's first steam engine has arrived, and once again Moist von Lipwig finds himself with a new and challenging job. The new Discworld novel, the 40th in the series, sees the Disc's first train come steaming into town.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,763,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible