Panic by Lauren Oliver

Info:HarperCollins (2014), Edition: F First Edition, Hardcover, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Panic by Lauren Oliver

Recently added byrena75, kweber319, Kaylyn_Clark

I was spoiled by reading Lauren Oliver’s previous books. I first red Before I Fall then I read the Delirium Trilogy, and I fell in love with all four books and with Miss Oliver herself. Her writing style flowed well, the story lines and plots were interesting, and the characters were relatable. Panic, however, did not live up to my expectations. Panic centers around high school seniors in a small town named Carp. The seniors graduated and the summer after graduation any senior is allowed to compete in the game, in ‘Panic.’ Sounded like an interesting concept when I first heard of the book, but it was a letdown.

The two main characters are Heather and Dodge who both have their own personal reasons for competing in Panic. For Dodge playing Panic was for revenge. His older sister competed in the game and in the last challenge, the joust, she was paralyzed. Dodge decides a brother for a sister, and wants the little brother to pay for what his older brother did. I love the story line of revenge and how it eats up a person. Dodge was full of grief at what happened to his sister and what she couldn't do that he stopped seeing his sister. I love his character at first but I didn't think he actually had any development throughout the story. Dodge is not the one who decides to not exact his revenge; Heather and her best friend stopped him. Dodge was filled with revenge that the idea of not completing the game angered him, even when his sister tried to stop him.

Heather entered the game on a whim after seeing her (ex)-boyfriend kiss another girl. She continues to compete for her little sister, Lily, and to get out of Carp. Heather’s home life was atrocious. Her mother has different men in and out of her life and is a drug addict. Through certain events that happen during the book it looks like Heather is going to start to pursue custody of Lily. Heather’s character was much more appealing to me than Dodge’s. Oliver wrote the book going back and forth between Heather and Dodge, and Heather’s chapters were the ones I wanted to read.

Overall, though, the book was a disappointment. I kept reading because of my love of Oliver’s previous books and with the hope that it would get better. The story line and plot ended up being boring for myself. And I know in the first few pages it says Panic was created out of boredom but I was still hoping for a reveal of why at the end. However, the pace of the book made it a quick read and never truly slows down. But I would recommend one of Oliver’s other books before this one.

2.5/5 ( )
  winterdragon | Jan 4, 2019 |
Panic takes place in the town of Carp where there is not much excitement for a teenager. So one year the graduating seniors decided to design their own entertainment by creating the game called panic. Every year each student in the high school pays a dollar a day for every day that school is in session. That money goes into the fund that becomes the prize money for the winner of the game. The challenges in the game can be dangerous and even deadly but a prize of $50,000 is an incentive to the players to complete almost any kind of test. The players are the main characters in the book and their friendships take many twists and turns as they go through not only the panic challenges but also the challenges that they face in their personal lives.

The book caused me to panic as I read about these teens taking on the high stakes challenges required for the participants of the game. I also felt rather sad for all of them since they were facing so many stumbling blocks in their search to be happy and successful. Thus to me it was a rather depressing read with a so-so ending. However, I would imagine the teen reader would be excited to read about each new challenge in the game while trying to determine who would be the winner of Panic.

Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
Ok, I'm officially taking a break from young adult books for a while. While this was a pretty good listening candy while on long bike rides, just not what I want to be feeding into my head. Recent high school graduates choose to take part in a game of "Panic" involving dangerous stunts that become ever more stupid in order to win a pot of money collected throughout the year from all seniors ($67K). Typical teenage relationships and peer pressure. ( )
  asawyer | May 7, 2018 |
I didn't really enjoy this book that much. I do not usually read YA, but I read Lauren Oliver's first book, Before I Fall, and loved it. Then more recently I read Rooms and liked it as well. So I thought I would give Panic a shot. It was too "teen-y" for me. I thought the teenagers acted like brats most of the time and made bad decisions. I wasn't really that interested in their issues. And the climax to the story was over in the blink of an eye. I was left with a few questions about how things turned out for the characters. I will read another Lauren Oliver intended for adults, but probably not another YA. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
I liked this book. It had a lot of good sub-plots and i liked the way the relationships developed between the charaters. ( )
  EdenSteffey | Mar 14, 2018 |
THE WATER WAS SO COLD IT TOOK HEATHER’S BREATH away as she fought past the kids crowding the beach and standing in the shallows, waving towels and homemade signs, cheering and calling up to the remaining jumpers.

School's out for ever,
Now it's time to play Panic.
Winner takes it all.
(passion4reading)

"In the poor town of Carp, New York, a group of teens enters a high-stakes game that involves a series of secretive, possibly deadly challenges throughout the summer, with the winner receiving more than $50,000--enough money to start a new life"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,855,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible