We Were Liars

by E. Lockhart

Spending the summers on her family's private island off the coast of Massachusetts with her cousins and a special boy named Gat, teenaged Cadence struggles to remember what happened during her fifteenth summer.
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Although ultimately the books are different, the love felt by the viewpoint characters seems similar, and there is a certain unusual poetic quality to the writing. Both are glorious books.
    Liar by Justine Larbalestier (legxleg)
    legxleg: Both have unreliable teen narrators
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (bluenotebookonline)
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (Littlemissmops)
    Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone (kgriffith)

English (342)  Swedish (1)  All languages (343)
I loved the first half. I thought it was a beautiful coming of age story that was fluttering, tentative, graceful.

But the ending was gauche, and unfortunately, the book was structured around a big reveal that led up to the ending.

There were some really neat moments of a young white woman discovering her privilege, and the awesome boy of color who helped her learn, but the ending ruined it. Where the beginning was an elegant, quiet, and necessary story, the ending was loud and destructive.

I trusted the author to tell me a certain kind of story, and that trust was broken. For me, that was enough to ruin the experience. Other people may really enjoy that the beginning of the book is markedly different from the end and negates much of what happened in the story. The book was very well written, and I suspect that my response is not representative. ( )
  librarymeanslove | Oct 1, 2020 |
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

The story of four wealthy (childhood) friends. They vacation every summer on a Private Island off of Massachusetts . They are very close (and) have grown up together (they) know everything about each other. Family, friendship, love, lies and an accident sum up the events of this group of (teenagers) known lovingly as The Liars.

A fast paced original story. Each character is well developed and very likable. An emotionally charged psychological, thrilling read. With (plot) twists and turns, shocking discoveries, and never ending surprises, I was hooked from the first page. Overall I found We Were Liars very enjoyable and feel Young Adult and Adult readers will enjoy it as well. ( )
  SheriAWilkinson | Sep 22, 2020 |
The end got me hard. The quick and short chapters were great and it got more interesting the more I read. Love the Liars, my heart aches for all of them. ( )
  nikkiyrj | Sep 18, 2020 |
“What happened to the little blond girls who used to run around this place?”
Mummy sighs. “We grew up, Dad,” she says. “We grew up.”

I had myself set on rating this a 3 or a 4 because I didn't see the point of the story and because it was a little confusing but getting to the end...I had no words

One sentence just literally broke my heart and I didn't expect anything like that to happen. This is a classic book about friendship, loyalty, love and family.

It hit me close to home and was the perfect story just after losing certain friends of mine and the liars will always be remembered in my heart. The fire and how the liars were still there somehow in 'spirit' i guess symbolized how she was moving on and getting over the tragedy.

I absolutely loved the characters by the end of the story and this is just one of the books that you have to get to the end to really appreciate it.

“what if
we could somehow stop being
the Beautiful Sinclair Family and just be a family?”

Always be a little kinder than you have to.
~Mirren ( )
  themoonwholistens | Aug 31, 2020 |
door Noa:

Het boek 'Wij, leugenaars' was er mysterieus en superspannend. Ik heb er veel van het boek genoten en ik heb het boek razendsnel doorgelezen. ( )
  literair_adolescent | Aug 13, 2020 |
Of course I won't reveal the twists and turns of the cunning plot, but I can say that when the secret at the heart of the book is finally revealed, it turns out to be nastier and more shocking than anything I had imagined. This is a cunning, clever and absolutely gripping novel, full of surprises, which sent me straight back to its first page as soon as I reached the last.
added by souloftherose | editGuardian, Josh Lacey (Jul 5, 2014)

What really makes a book of the summer is when we surprise ourselves. It’s not just about being fascinated by a book. It’s about being fascinated by the fact that we’re fascinated.

The odds:4-1
We Were Liars
E. Lockhart
Pros: Rich people on an island; sharp, funny-sad writing; a head-snapping fourth­quarter reveal.
Cons: It’s a YA novel, so some adults might pass.

E. Lockhartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Meyers, AriadneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Daniel
Welcome to the beautiful Sinclair family.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,917,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible