We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

We Were Liars

by E. Lockhart

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (amysisson)
    amysisson: Although ultimately the books are different, the love felt by the viewpoint characters seems similar, and there is a certain unusual poetic quality to the writing. Both are glorious books.
    Liar by Justine Larbalestier (legxleg)
    legxleg: Both have unreliable teen narrators
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (bluenotebookonline)
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (Littlemissmops)
    Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone (kgriffith)

English (303)  Swedish (1)  All languages (304)
DNF 53%

I really wanted to make it to that twist ending, but I just can't. ( )
  kweber319 | May 13, 2019 |
I have heard a lot about how great this book is...as usual when this happens I thought the story was okay but not really all that groundbreaking. It was actually kind of slow moving and boring.

The story mainly revolves around a girl who had a tragedy happen one summer that she can't remember. She spends the summer a couple years later trying to piece things together.

The setting of a rich private island was somewhat intriguing and the twist at the end of the story was surprising (but felt really contrived to me).

The mystery made this a pretty engaging and quick read, it really drew the reader forward. However, there wasn't much unique or different about this story from many other YA contemporary fiction novels I have read.

As happens a lot to me when I read really popular books, I ended up being confused by why this has been such a popular book. It was okay but didn't make me want to read more by this author.

Overall this was an okay story. It’s a fairly engaging mystery but felt a bit contrived and moved pretty slow. I would recommend to those who enjoy YA mystery reads about the young and rich. ( )
  krau0098 | May 8, 2019 |
This book was very slow and a little difficult to follow. After reading many reviews of the book, I decided to persevere (It was a quick read and not too long so I figured I could do it. Trying to avoid DNFs). I am glad I stuck with it.

During the entire read I was expecting a plot twist and when it came; it wasn't what I was guessing. I wish the twist came a little sooner and a little more -- something. I felt like there was a lot of detail early in the book but after the reveal; that's it - done! ( )
  TLWelsh1108 | Apr 9, 2019 |

TLWelsh1108 | Apr 9, 2019 |
Full review at https://kyrosmagica.wordpress.com/2015/03/15/my-kyrosmagica-review-of-we-were-li...

We Were Liars is one of those unassuming little books that delivers quite a punch, a punch that takes you unawares. I enjoyed the premise of We Were Liars. This idyll that E. Lockhart describes seems on the surface to be like a classic fairy tale: “The island is ours. Here, in some way, we are young forever.”

But don’t be lulled into a sense of tranquillity. This novel is built upon layer upon layer of false impressions, and a myriad of lies. Secrets abound in this novel, and these secrets thrive on a breeding ground of sibling greed and jealousy. The final reveal is such an unexpected twist, a tragedy that I just didn’t see it coming. This is the shock factor that works so well.

E. Lockhart tells the story of We Were Liars through the eyes of the main protagonist, Cadence Sinclair Eastman, the female heir to the wealth of the Sinclair family.

Cadence has a terrible accident whilst out swimming alone on the family island off the coast of Massachusetts when she is fifteen. This terrible turn of events leaves her at the present age of nearly eighteen, with a changed personality, memory loss, and crucifying, crippling, headaches.

“WELCOME TO MY skull. A truck is rolling over the bones of my neck and head. The vertebrae break, the brains pop and ooze. A thousand flashlights shine in my eyes.”

Nobody will tell her how this accident happened, even though it is obvious that they all know. But are they protecting her, or excluding her? Cadence is diagnosed with post traumatic headaches, but what happened? The final revelation is shocking, desperately sad, and devastating.

The unusual way in which E. Lockhart writes is unassuming and original, even quite literary for a YA novel. Cadence’s emotions are so volatile that E. Lockhart creates a very visual image of Cadence as she “bleeds.”

The novel begins with her father deserting her, leaving her mother for another woman:

“Blood gushed rhythmically from my open wound, then from my eye, my ear, my mouth. It tasted like salt and failure. the bright red shame of being unloved soaked the grass in front of our house, the bricks of the path, the steps to the porch. ”

At times she is so distressed by loss that bleeding is not sufficient, so she dissolves:

“My head and shoulders melted first, followed by my hips and knees. Before long I was a puddle, soaking into the pretty cotton prints.”

I enjoyed how E. Lockhart played with classic fairy tale retellings which she cleverly re-wrote, revealing that this “fairy tale” is far from idyllic, in fact it is a tale of destruction, and woe.

The characters in We Were Liars are flawed by their own inadequacies, brought upon themselves by greed, and deep-seated prejudices. They are not a very appealing group of people, this applies to both the older and the younger generation: the aunts are totally dependent on Granddad. Gat, the outsider, is the only person with a political conscience. It is suggested by Cadence’s association with him that she seeks to be a “better” person too, but her flawed character, and blood association with her dysfunctional family means that ultimately her decisions will be flawed.

The four ‘Liars” are:

Mirren, “she is sugar and curiosity, and rain.”

Johnny, “he is bounce, effort and snark.”

Gat, “he is contemplation and enthusiasm. Ambition and strong coffee.”

“He was a stranger in our family, even after all those years.”

Cadence is drawn to Gat and loves him, but she is jealous that Gat might not love her back: “Our kiss was electric and soft, and tentative and certain, terrifying and exactly right.”

Cadence: Mirren, Johnny and Gat are introduced in the present tense, whereas Cadence is introduced in the past: “I used to be pretty, but now I am sick.” Cadence “used to be,” a lot of things, but now it is implied that she has none of these characteristics any more, her character has changed. She is so distressed that at anxious moments she feels like she is dissolving.

E. Lockhart uses short snappy sentences, and opposites, to convey a wealth of information.

Grandad may appear at first glance to be a sad old man who has just lost his wife:

“Summer fifteen on Beechwood, Granny Tipper was gone. Clairmont felt empty.”

But again this is an illusion, Grandad is not quite what he seems, and neither is supposedly charitable Granny Tipper.

Silence is the way that the Sinclair’s deal with loss and death. “Silence is a protective coating over pain.” Gat is the only one that dares to break this silence.

There is steeliness to Grandad that is shocking too. He expects certain things from his grandchildren, especially from his future heir: “I knew the kind of answer Grandad wanted me to give.”

Granddad lives life by mottos, and is inflexible in his opinions: “Never take a seat in the back of the room. Winners sit up front.”

We were Liars is a thought-provoking little gem of a novel, highly recommended for readers of Young Adult, Contemporary, Mystery, Fiction, and Romance.

My rating: Oh, so difficult to rate, I’ve been deliberating this for ages, to this little gem, a final 4.5 stars.

marjorie.mallon | Mar 27, 2019 |
Of course I won't reveal the twists and turns of the cunning plot, but I can say that when the secret at the heart of the book is finally revealed, it turns out to be nastier and more shocking than anything I had imagined. This is a cunning, clever and absolutely gripping novel, full of surprises, which sent me straight back to its first page as soon as I reached the last.
added by souloftherose | editGuardian, Josh Lacey (Jul 5, 2014)

What really makes a book of the summer is when we surprise ourselves. It’s not just about being fascinated by a book. It’s about being fascinated by the fact that we’re fascinated.

The odds:4-1
We Were Liars
E. Lockhart
Pros: Rich people on an island; sharp, funny-sad writing; a head-snapping fourth­quarter reveal.
Cons: It’s a YA novel, so some adults might pass.

E. Lockhartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Meyers, AriadneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Daniel
Welcome to the beautiful Sinclair family.

Spending the summers on her family's private island off the coast of Massachusetts with her cousins and a special boy named Gat, teenaged Cadence struggles to remember what happened during her fifteenth summer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,912,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible