Bran's Story by Sabrina Deane

Despite the subject matter this was quite a nice story with the sweet and endearing but ever-fearful Bran as its protagonist and the kind and patient Holden as his new master acting as his re-trainer.

"Even when we were first bringing you home, when you were frozen stiff and stupid with fear of whatever shit Dunaev had told you about where you were going-- when I touched you gently, you responded. You've got this innocence about you, Bran, this strange-- hope, that just comes leaping out at the slightest provocation. You still don't smile alot, but when you do you look so damn happy, it's like the sun coming out. And that little sigh you give when I hold you, like--[...] like everything's okay." ~Holden (Slave Breaker)

"Oh, yes, you make me ridiculously happy," said Holden, sounding more angry than happy at the moment. "I can't ignore you, don't you understand, I'd be wanting to be with you all the time, you're so- and the sound of your voice and the way you look at me, like right now, you look like a damn sunrise, all hope and dawn and light and- fuck, Bran--" He laughed. "I can't think straight, not with you looking at me like that.[...}" ~Holden (Slave Breaker)
The writing was excellent, so insightful and descriptive. The world-building was enough for me to envision this disturbing re-introduction of slavery and prompt me to ask myself whether I could make it as a slave. Sterilisation, a submissive nature, being a possession to be used by anyone your master or mistress wished, a high pain tolerance, the risk of suffering the abuse Bran had in the past, and the list goes on. Nope, I don't see it happening. I'd end up dead or if I'm lucky being freed. I don't think I could own slaves either, well not for very long anyway. I'd probably buy them just to free them.

Even though I enjoyed reading Bran's Story I'm not sure I'll continue reading because the society described makes me decidedly uncomfortable. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
This review is for all of the "slave breakers" series. I enjoyed them all about the same, except maybe the prequel which is my least favorite, but still very good.

I was not sure what to think of this story before I started reading it. I saw where one of my friends here on Goodreads rated it very well. Then I saw that it was posted on LiveJournal and that there are writer's note within the story. I was worried then that the story would not be well written because of this, but based on the the ratings, I decided to give it a try. I am extremely glad I did. These stories have very high sexual context to them and they are pretty much all M/M (which I have read some but not much).

Although these stories are about true sex slaves (no in the play world like in a BDSM, where the "slave" can call a safeword), the BDSM is very light. These slaves are true property of their owners. They bring up in the story that the owners can kill their slaves in front of witnesses and there are no repercussions.

Great stories, I hope to see them truly published one day. I also hope that people are going to the LiveJournal page to donate to the author because it would be great to continue to have more of these stories. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
This is a well-written and very engaging book that introduces us to the SlaveBreakers and their world. It is NOT a romance.

MaryAnn12 | Apr 4, 2013 |
Bran, a pleasure slave, is being sold to the slave breakers, or slave restrainers as they prefer to call themselves; according to his owner, Lord Dunaev, Bran is sullen, insolent and unresponsive. Lord Dunaev, having already threatened Bran with being sold to the slave breakers, has painted a vivid picture of all the tortures they would inflict upon him. Not surprisingly Bran is in mortal fear when Holden and his wife, the slave breakers, come to take him away. But rather than the brutal treatment he was lead to expect, he receives nothing but kindness from his new owners.

His retraining goes well, Bran makes a good recovery from the ill treatment at Lord Dunaev's hands, and eventually Holden considers him is ready for selling on to responsible owners. However, there is a slight problem, Bran has fallen in love with his temporary master Holder, and will do anything to remain with him. But Holden already has his own pleasure slave and too many other responsibilities, as happy as Bran makes him, he cannot make room for him - or can he?

This is a delightful story, and there is much more besides Bran's story here involving Holden's extended family, but the growing relationship between Bran and Holden is beautifully portrayed as Bran gradually overcomes is fears and learns to trust Holden, and we begin to see Bran's true personality coming through. ( )
  Bembo | Mar 4, 2011 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,947,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible