The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty

The Husband's Secret (2013)

by Liane Moriarty

The Silent Wife by A. S. A. Harrison (sturlington)
    Heart and Soul by Maeve Binchy (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Adults from many walks of life are brought together in these well-characterized novels, though not always for happy reasons. Though both feature large casts of realistic, complex characters, layered plots, and naturalistic dialogue, Heart and Soul is a lighter read.… (more)

English (303)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  All languages (307)
Better than I was expecting! Although predictable, there was plenty to think about. Would make a good Book Club selection for groups that prefer lighter, but topical subject matter. Quick, very easy read. ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
It took me a while for me to “get into” this book, and I admit to nearly putting it down. There are several couple to get to know, along with their various problems (which eventually will reveal themselves into various secrets), and they do take time to see the intersections. Eventually, I caught on. Eventually I began to want to know!

No spoiler alerts. I dropped one star because of the slow start. ( )
  kaulsu | Jul 17, 2018 |
Wow. Wow. I saw Big Little Lies on HBO and absolutely loved it, but I never read the book. This book was available at my library through Libby so I decided to check it out. I was not disappointed.

Similar to Big Little Lies, the story weaves together the lives and tragedies of multiple people and their families. Janie was murdered as a teenager, and her mother is left with a lifelong sadness and quest to find her killer. This book made me gasp, exclaim, and sob. The ending touched me so deeply I had trouble going to sleep after. Great read! ( )
  MissWordNerd | Jul 14, 2018 |
This was a fast read, because it's such a page turner. I was a little disappointed at the end. I enjoyed how the four families intertwined, but felt let down at the end. They could have been more developed I think if there weren't four? I'm going to read another Moriarty novel this week, I'm sure it won't disappoint. ( )
  Nemorn | Jun 4, 2018 |
I love how Liane Moriarity weaves chapters from different character's points of view together so we see different sides of the same event. Cecelia finds an envelope addressed to her to be read only in the event of her husband's death. She thinks it is funny and doesn't plan on reading it until her husband starts acting very weird about it.

The other main characters are Rachel and Tess. Rachel's daughter Janie was murdered 28 years ago. The killer was never caught. Tess has just been informed that her best friend and cousin Felicity is in lover with her husband. He wants them all to live in the same house as a happy family.

Their lives all connect to each other in ways they never knew. This books explores how one little action can affect so many others. ( )
  AWahle | May 31, 2018 |

Liane Moriartyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To err is human; to forgive, divine.  —Alexander Pope
For Adam, George and Anna.
And for Amelia.
It was all because of the Berlin Wall.

Discovering a tattered letter that says she is to open it only in the event of her husband's death, Cecelia, a successful family woman, is unable to resist reading the letter and discovers a secret that shatters her life and the lives of two other women. By the author of What Alice Forgot.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Liane Moriarty's book The Husband's Secret was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,153,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible