The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty

The Husband's Secret (original 2013; edition 2015)

by Liane Moriarty (Author)

Member:RobinBrz
Title:The Husband's Secret
Authors:Liane Moriarty (Author)
Info:Berkley (2015), Edition: Reissue, 464 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty (2013)

The Silent Wife by A. S. A Harrison (sturlington)
    Heart and Soul by Maeve Binchy (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Adults from many walks of life are brought together in these well-characterized novels, though not always for happy reasons. Though both feature large casts of realistic, complex characters, layered plots, and naturalistic dialogue, Heart and Soul is a lighter read.… (more)

English (271)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  All (275)
Good story. Great audio book. Keeps you entertained and wanting to get to the end. ( )
  Nlan | Oct 5, 2017 |
I could hardly put this down. Couldn't think of anything except these tragically real characters and how frustratingly fatalistic their lives are. The ethical dilemmas and the monumental implications of simple, everyday decisions and seemingly inconsequential actions. The million different paths your life might have taken if only this had happened or that hadn't happened. The emotions were raw and staggeringly well written. ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
Somewhat of a disappointment, mostly because I looked forward to reading this so very much. A woman finds an envelope in the attic with "to my wife in case of my death" on the front of it. Sounds awesome, right? And I did like it, & did stay up til the wee hours to finish. But. It starts out really slow, is almost at half the book before we get to read the note. And up until then was a struggle to keep reading. Too many characters, too much detail, & too much just not resonating as likely to happen in this situation. And the writing style - some-most- chapters unheadered, some headered with the day of the week (Monday thru Sunday--*Easter* Sunday) & some headered April 6, 1984, which is the day of the murder. That said, it did turn out to be an interesting take on wrongdoing, consequences, & forgiveness. And I just noticed now, in writing this review, it is Easter week, so there is an underness of that about it, of forgiveness & redemption. So the author was really stretching, or I'm really obtuse. -- One thing I really did like is the epilogue, which begins, "There are so many secrets about our lives we'll never know" & tells us some background truths that were not included in the story - X wasn't really seeing clients that day, he was playing tennis. If X2 hadn't ridden her bike that day, she would have blah blah blah. And continues thru to tell us (spoiler alert) Janie wasn't really murdered, she died of something else. All of which, excepting the last, would have made the book much more readable if it had been included in the first place. So. Bottom line. I liked _What Alice Forgot_; this one not so much. Be careful about Liane Moriarty books. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | Sep 27, 2017 |
The Husband's Secret is a fantastic read that makes you question how well you really know the people you are closest to. When Cecilia discovers a letter her husband wrote to her to be opened only after his death her whole world is changed. Within this letter, her husband reveals his deepest, darkest secret which has the potential to destroy Cecilia's whole family and the life she has built. What is surprising is that Cecilia finds and reads this letter while her husband is still alive. The author does an excellent job developing each character which made me as a reader feel very close to them and invested in their happiness. This is a very thought provoking and emotional novel that makes the reader contemplate the "what ifs" of life.

LeeAnn K. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
A good story well told. her book srae easy to read and i like her writing style. This one had a few twists and turns - worth a read. ( )
  Neale | Aug 26, 2017 |

Liane Moriartyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To err is human; to forgive, divine.  —Alexander Pope
For Adam, George and Anna.
And for Amelia.
It was all because of the Berlin Wall.

Discovering a tattered letter that says she is to open it only in the event of her husband's death, Cecelia, a successful family woman, is unable to resist reading the letter and discovers a secret that shatters her life and the lives of two other women. By the author of What Alice Forgot.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Liane Moriarty's book The Husband's Secret was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,487,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible