Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl

by Rainbow Rowell

Series: Fangirl (1)

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Holiday Blend by Jennifer Montgomery (Herenya)
    Herenya: Both are about a shy fangirl at college.

English (273)  French (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All (279)
Can we have an "Emergency Kanye Dance Party"?! I don't even like Kanye but I'm willing to put aside my dislike of him for an Emergency Dance Party!!! This book is beyond cute and has so many endearing moments that I just want to hug Cath and cry with her at times. The book is well written and the characters are well developed. I cannot explain how much I love this book and how Rainbow Rowell is by far my favorite author of 2013. I look forward to reading more of her books in the future.

Quick summary:

Cath has a twin, Wren, who is the polar opposite of Cath. Cath is socially awkward, does not like to socialize or meet new people, doesn't like changes, an introvert, intelligent, and a Simon Snow fan-fiction writer. Wren, on the other hand, is very social, love boys and alcohol, an extrovert and very confident. They are going to the same university, but Wren has decided she doesn't want to room with Cath and so as they enter their first semester of college the girls start to drift apart when Wren starts drinking and hanging out with her roommate (Courtney). Cath prefers to stay in her dorm writing Simon Snow fan-fiction, but her roommate's (Reagan) "boyfriend" (Levi) starts to hangout in their room on a consistent basis and Cath soon finds herself attracted to him. She also met a boy (Nick) in her Fiction Writing class and starts writing with him at the library and though she likes him, Cath is unsure whether Nick likes her or just using her to help with his writing. Levi starts to engage Cath in conversations and when he discovers that Cath writes Simon Snow Fan-Fiction, he convinces her to read some of her stories out loud to him. They start to bond over Simon Snow until one night they kissed and everything changes. Cath discovers she's actually not interested in Nick and she's been trying to repress her feelings for Levi because he is Reagan's boyfriend - except he's not. After the kiss, Cath finds out Reagan and Levi were high school sweetheart but have been broken up for two years and they're only friends. And the reason they're constantly hanging out together is because Reagan is helping Levi with his classes. A couple of days after the kiss, at Reagan's insistence shows up to a party at Levi's house and finds Levi kissing another girl. Cath immediately decides she wants nothing to do with him. Cath is heartbroken, so she focuses all her energy on writing Simon Snow Fan-Fiction and avoiding Levi. After winter break, Levi explains to Cath what happened. Although, Cath isn't ready to forgive Levi she is willing to try. Their relationship starts off slow and sweet, which is exactly the kind of pace Cath needs. But as Cath and Levi start ot fall in love with each other, Cath starts to come out of her shell and she starts to see things in a new light.

This is a story about learning to experience things and to live outside of your comfort zone. There are parts that remind me of most coming-of-age books/movies, like The Perks of Being a Wallflower - the most recent YA coming-of-age book I read - which are about these young characters' inability to be present and be a particpant of life outside of their own minds. Cath internalize so many things and is so terrified of the unknown that it leaves her paralyze just thinking about what she has to do. There are people who can relate to Cath, I can attest I have moments like that, and I especially love the part where Cath laments how everyone is always talking about all the things you have to do and where things are but it's the small things that people don't explain to you - such as where the line starts in the cafeteria or where do you sit when every table has someone sitting at it? Can you sit at an empty seat at a table that's currently occupied or is that weird? Questions I've pondered at some point in my life. It's the mundane things that can be intimidating for some and I, too, have felt those fears. It seems silly to have anxieties about finding where the cafeteria is or where to sit, but for those who are socially awkward, shy, or suffers from social anxiety, these mere tasks seem insurmountable at times that it's preferable to avoid them at all costs - i.e. staying home and not going out. No one ever bothers to mention the minute things, they are always focused on explaining the bigger, more interesting things but these minute things can affect a person's experience and can deter people suffering from anxiety issues from wanting to repeat the same things again or from attempting anything involving social interaction.

**I love the contrast between Cath and Wren. I know some people find their names weird but I thought it was clever and funny, especially when Levi figures it out - I enjoyed his reaction to it. I love how they are so different and enjoy seeing Cath come out of her shell, shed her glasses and transform from Clark Kent to Superman. She's not full blown Superman by the end of the story but with Levi's help she's taking baby steps towards becoming more confident and learning to explore the world outside of her head. Also, I adore how Levi uses the metaphor of Clark Kent to discreetly reveal to Cath what he thinks of her. I love how Levi's love, helps Cath deal with a lot of her issues and his patience with her. I just love Levi and despite the one kiss with that girl in his kitchen, he's such a sweet, nice, smiley character. I love Cath and Levi's relationship and how they balance each other out.

I really like how Rainbow Rowell is able to turn such quirky attributes into loving characteristics. I have read this book multiple times and I love it every time I read it. For months, I couldn't stop smiling at the quirkiness and I was just in bliss thinking about the sweet love story. I just ship Cath and Levi so much, it's ridiculous - they may be one of my favorite YA couples ever! I don't know if this book has been option for a movie yet, but I think it would make a great movie - in fact it would make an even better T.V. show - the ending left room for more stories and a T.V. show would be able to capture the essence of Fangirl more than a movie could and expand on it. I'd really like that, to see what transpires after Fangirl.
1 vote jthao_02 | May 18, 2017 |
First of all, I'm sure YA's like this book better than I did. I'm reviewing it on literary merit. Using the F word consistently wore a little thin. I get the *fangirl* part and fanfiction. What I didn't appreciate in the *second story* in this book (Simon and Baz) was a POOR imitation of Harry Potter. Really? This author couldn't come up with anything better? Rowell has talent. Why a Harry Potter wanna-be story? It was because of this, the book is receiving 3 stars instead of 4. The main plot of the story is actually well written. ( )
  travelgal | May 6, 2017 |
3,5 stars. Started as an audiobook and completed as an ebook. Couldn't find the same rhythm as Eleanor & Park. More to come later. ( )
  soontobefree | May 1, 2017 |
I just couldn't finish this book . instead of writing all the things i hated about it (everything) , i'm just going to say this one is just not for me.

it seems like everyone loved it so much , that i'm starting to feel like the Grinch

The fandom wasn't for me , the cute relationships weren't for me . and i just couldn't get the point of it , i didn't even enjoy it .it was a combination of all the things that i don't like put together , and honestly it was way too much for me to handle .

read it at your own risk ( )
  Spymer | Feb 16, 2017 |
Cath and Wren are identical twins who have always been close. They are both huge Simon Snow (a Harry Potter-esque book series) fans and write popular Simon Snow fan fiction. However, when they start college Wren wants to branch out, try new things and meet new people. Thus, she doesn’t want to room with Cath in the dorms. This means Cath has to room with a Reagan, a stranger. Cath, already a socially awkward introvert, retreats even more into her comfort zone of Simon Snow forums and fan fiction.

Rainbow Rowell has done it again. Fan Girl is an authentic look at life for a college freshman. Just like Eleanor and Park took me back to high school, this book took me back to college. I could remember just what it was like to be scared, excited and anxious about going away to school. The characters were just so real. And Levi – wow. Rainbow creates the best boyfriends! He was so sweet and funny, I wanted to cuddle him and muss his hair. I loved his girlfriend and Cath’s roommate, Reagan. She had great dry, sarcastic sense of humor and she and Cath played off of each other fantastically. Reagan’s one-liners were the best.

Excerpts of both “real” Simon Snow books and Cath’s fan fiction are interspersed throughout the book. Honestly, I thought they were unnecessary and I skimmed most of them. I think they were supposed to have some symbolism related to what was going on in Cath’s life but whatever it was wasn’t clear to me. However, Rainbow now has a book out called Carry On, which is a REAL Simon Snow book. I’ll read that eventually, although I’m not as excited for it as I was when Fan Girl came out.

Fan Girl is another fabulous book from Rainbow Rowell. ( )
  mcelhra | Jan 25, 2017 |

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Caulfield, MaxwellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, NoelleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jennifer, who always had an extra lightsaber
The Simon Snow Series
"Months are different in college," Levi said, "especially freshman year. Too much happens. Every freshman month equals six regular months - they're like dog months."

Cath struggles to survive on her own in her first year of college while avoiding a surly roommate, bonding with a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words, and worrying about her fragile father.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,463,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible