Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl

by Rainbow Rowell

Series: Fangirl (1)

The Royal We by Heather Cocks (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Twin sisters who grow apart and renegotiate their relationship as they go off to college
    Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi (Herenya)
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Holiday Blend by Jennifer Montgomery (Herenya)
    Herenya: Both are about a shy fangirl at college.

English (339)  French (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (345)
4.5 ( )
  jawink22 | Feb 6, 2019 |
Fangirl is a coming of age story about a girl, Cath, and her twin, Wren, starting a new life in college. There are some mental health issues in the family and some boyfriend/girlfriend saga to deal with as well as the writing of Fanfiction which was new to me. The story grabbed me and pulled me into the world of Cath, Levi, Wren, Regan, and the magic world of Simon Snow.

Cath and Wren are identical twins raised by their father after their mother left them when they were 8. Dad has some bipolar issues that Cath and Wren keep in check. When they head off to University, they are not rooming together on Wren's request. This is the first time they have been separated and Cath's mental health issues begin to surface as well. Her roommate Regan finally breaks through Cath's shell and they develop a friendship. Lots of goings on that occur in the lives of freshman cause angst as well as family issues.

The author's easyflowing writing style made it seem as a very simple story at the time I was reading it, but looking back at it as a whole the story managed to convey a very true and important message about life, love and friendship. A Great YA read. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
So many people I respect loved this book so I felt I had to give it a shot. I love all books nerdy and this was a strangely serious book in the genre. Cath was.... very passive and at times it was very hard reading, you just want to shake her and tell her she's worth standing up for. This is a growth novel though and you see through all the things she goes through she changes and becomes stronger.( Her father is actually the one that pointed it out, Wren thinks she's the 'normal' sister but out of the two Cath ends up being the most mentally healthy.) Over all not my normal cup of tea I tend to like a little spunk but I appreciated the growth and seeing Cath change... or become more outspoken about who she is. ( )
  NerdyHousewifey | Feb 1, 2019 |
This book is about a set of twins named Cath and Wren. They are going off to college for the first time. Wren - a free spirit who wants independence, tells Cath she doesn't want to be roomates at college. Cath, who is an introvert who writes fanfiction about characters in her favorite book, is now completely on her own and terrified. She ends up with a roommate she isn't sure likes her and her boyfriend that is always around. She is taking a junior level Fiction Writing class with a professor that hates fanfiction. And she hasn't made any friends. She spends most of her time worrying about her dad who has been alone since their mom left when Cath and Wren were 8, and he has a diagnosed bipolar disorder. Cath is not sure she can survive without her sister by her side and not even sure she wants to.

The book is pretty fun. I read Eleanor and Park - another one of Rainbow's books - last year, and really enjoyed it. This book did not disappoint. Yes, it is a YA novel. I read quite a few of those actually. Mostly because they are easy reads, but also because a lot of Arlington (my almost 13 year old daughter) has friends that read these books, and I want to see if they are appropriate for her age group. This one I would say is/isn't. I am not really ready for her to read books with so much language in them. (although, she would tell you she hears it each day on the bus). But other than that - it is PG-13 material.

Cath - the the main character - makes you want to punch her in the face. Just a little bit. She is witty, but she is also a total hermit. She doesn't smile much, she doesn't socialize, she barely talks. She is stuck in a fanfiction world of a book series that would be like Harry Potter in her world. She wants to be a writer, but she only wants to be a fanfiction writer because it is easier than coming up with her own ideas. She chooses not to do a project for her Fiction Writing class because she just doesn't feel like it. Seems a bit......immature. She is 18, but I don't know. I would be horrified if I didn't do a project in college - would never have thought about never turning it in at least.

There is a love story. And it is a pretty great one. The boy she falls for is a great guy, and you are rooting for him the entire time she is deciding how she feels about him. And there is family struggle. These girls have a lot of deep seeded issues since their mom left, and they start to surface in full force now that they are alone in college and trying to figure things out without the other twin to lean on.

I recommend the book. It had some really funny lines, and it was a pretty easy read. Check it out.

JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell is a book I've been meaning to read for a while. Some time ago (within the past two years, I think) I acquired the audiobook and now, this past week, I finally had a long car journey in which to listen to it. If you were wondering, the round-trip of driving was only about 41 minutes short of the whole book, so that's pretty convenient.

So. This is a YA (or new adult, perhaps, since it's set in college) novel about a girl who writes fanfiction starting college and navigating that while also dealing with various family and fandom issues. The original work she writes fanfiction of clearly inspired by Harry Potter, as is the general structure of the fandom community. And using that analogy, Cath writes immensely popular Harry/Draco slash and Fangirl is set just before the last book in the series comes out. (Actually, one thing that really bothered me was a throwaway mention of Harry Potter which absolutely cannot coexist in the same world as Simon Snow. The world cannot support both fandom in the same way. Anyway. Throwaway line, as I said, but one that definitely should have been edited out.)

Overall this is a contemporary romance story, dotted with a lot of geekiness. It's also a coming-of-age story about the first year of college for Cath and her twin sister Ren (but mostly focussing on Cath as the only point of view character). It dealt with some hard-hitting issues, liberally interspersed with fanfic-writing issues, which could easily be seen as trivial, but were clearly very important to Cath. The way in which all the issues were presented worked together to make this a book that was sufficiently upbeat (without being saccharine) to listen to on a long car journey. I'm sure I would have also enjoyed it in paper (and probably gotten through it in fewer hours) but it worked well as an audiobook.

I recommend Fangirl to geeky YA readers, especially those with at least a passing awareness of Harry Potter fandom. (That's how I'd classify myself, by the way. I have never gotten into reading or writing fanfiction, but most of my friends have at one point or another, and I'm pretty sure I got all the jokes.) On the other hand, my mother, who was forced to also listen to Fangirl in the car, had no knowledge of fanfiction and still enjoyed the book. It has broad appeal. I am somewhat interested in reading Carry On, a book based on the fic Cath was writing in Fangirl, but not enough to rush out and buy it immediately.

4 / 5 stars

You can read more of my reviews on my blog. ( )
  Tsana | Jan 8, 2019 |

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Caulfield, MaxwellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, NoelleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jennifer, who always had an extra lightsaber
The Simon Snow Series
"Months are different in college," Levi said, "especially freshman year. Too much happens. Every freshman month equals six regular months - they're like dog months."

Cath struggles to survive on her own in her first year of college while avoiding a surly roommate, bonding with a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words, and worrying about her fragile father.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,675,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible