Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl

by Rainbow Rowell

Series: Fangirl (1)

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Holiday Blend (The Coffee Shop Romances Book 3) by Jennifer Montgomery (Herenya)
    Herenya: Both are about a shy fangirl at college.

English (217)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (220)

Originally posted here

This was a bit of a hit and miss book for me.

I loved how the story explored themes of personal growth, family dynamics, personal adversity and mental health issues. Cath finds herself for the first time ever on her own, without her twin Wren. Cath is an extremely relatable main character, she finds it hard to adapt to the Uni lifestyle and has a touch of social anxiety. Cath loves to stay in her room and write fan fiction in the online Simon Snow fandom. She worries about her Dad being on his own and I just completely understood her struggles and anxieties. I have been Cath at one point in my life and I think a lot of other people will identify with her strongly also.

There is a strong romance underpinning this book and it was cute, silly but the romance aspects of the book was left a little wanting for me.

The first and last third of the book was very slow paced - I kept waiting for some sort of anti-climatic event to unfold. Some sort of shocking revelation but it just never came. It was not a page turning story for me, I kept having to come back to it. I also felt that the Simon Snow excerpts, that are interspersed throughout, broke the rhythm of the story. I felt myself thinking more than once as I was reading them, 'who cares'.

Despite its flaws, Fangirl is a book worth reading. I feel like the characters leaped off the pages and you do get invested in what happens to them all. I love Rainbow Rowell's style of writing, the way she writes romance is so gushingly cute and this book is no exception.

4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
Love, love, love. So much love! ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Narrated by Rebecca Lowman and Maxwell Caufield. A gentle college romance for teen girls who are introspective, shy, awkward, don't want to venture too far from their comfort zone, and just want to meet that nice boy some day. They may find their bosom friend in Cath, the inner-directed twin sister of Wren who's outgoing and adventuresome. Cath is a devoted "Simon Snow" (read "Harry Potter") fan who absorbs herself in writing online fan fiction and has developed a large following. Her quiet life collides with college reality: a brassy roommate, two cute guys, a writing professor with high expectations, and parties. Can Cath reconcile her true self with this new world? The lingering scenes with Levi became a bit twee for me after awhile. And "Simon Snow" is depicted as this blockbuster fantasy series but the "excerpts" came off as sluggish, as were Cath's fan fiction entries. Hum-Drum indeed. Lowman quietly voices Cath's insecurities and introverted personality giving listeners a vivid sense of her internal struggles and quiet passions. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
God, Cath is the worst. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Jan 30, 2016 |

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caulfield, MaxwellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, NoelleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jennifer, who always had an extra lightsaber
The Simon Snow Series
"Months are different in college," Levi said, "especially freshman year. Too much happens. Every freshman month equals six regular months - they're like dog months."

Cath struggles to survive on her own in her first year of college while avoiding a surly roommate, bonding with a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words, and worrying about her fragile father.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,993,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible