Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl

by Rainbow Rowell

Series: Fangirl (1)

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Holiday Blend (The Coffee Shop Romances Book 3) by Jennifer Montgomery (Herenya)
    Herenya: Both are about a shy fangirl at college.

English (241)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (244)
I thoroughly enjoyed this. I found I didn't want to stop listening. I liked that I got sucked into the story and was able to connect with the characters. Rainbow's writing made me think of Sarah Dessen and I absolutely love her books! ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
This book is one of my new all time favorites! I wish this book was out when I first started going college. I think anyone entering their freshman year of college can relate to this story. There was a very strong family dynamic to the story as well and it slightly touched on mental illness in a very tasteful way. ( )
  angelamber87 | May 13, 2016 |
Plot:
Cath and her twin sister Wren are freshmen in college, something Cath has been dreading for quite a while: ever since Wren told her that she didn’t want to be roommates with her in their dorm. Socially awkward Cath is at a loss. While Wren adjust easily to college life, especially the parties, Cath withdraws more and more into the fan fiction she’s writing about Simon Snow, the boy magician, and his vampire roommate Baz Pitch (a fic she used to write with Wren). But her roommate Reagan can’t watch this and starts to drag Cath out of her shell, aided by her best friend Levi whose easy-going and accessible nature helps considerably.

Fangirl is not only a sweet, captivating coming of age story, it’s also an accurate portrayal of fan culture as I know it – which is very rare. I blazed through it (as high velocity is apparently the only speed I can read Rainbow Rowell novels at) and I loved it.

Read more on my blog: https://kalafudra.com/2016/02/27/fangirl-rainbow-rowell/ ( )
  kalafudra | May 10, 2016 |
As I write this, I am trying to think of the last time that I absolutely did not want to finish a book because I just sincerely didn't want it to end. I am still thinking. I will probably still be thinking about that for a while.

Levi and Cather. How utterly sweet!

The writing is excellent, thoughtful. The characterizations are, again, excellent.

The juxtapositions between the world of Simon Snow and Cather, again, excellent.

Oh, too many excellents?

If you doubt me, read the book. I know that there are some who won't be as charmed as I am, but I really hope they are few because it gives me hope as there is something about this little novel that goes beyond the written page and touches deeper things, maybe things that you thought you could cynically hide and yet, here they are.

A major sigh. I wonder if any book any time soon is going to compare with the sweet, gentle sincerity of this one. ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
Well another book I took forever to read and I have to ask myself that same question again. “Why did it took you so long”? No good answer for that, just glad I’ve finally read it.

I’ll start out by saying that I really did enjoy Fangirl, although it did take me a while to get there. It started a bit slow for me, I wasn’t bored reading it, but I wasn’t excited either. When I finally thought to myself that I probably wasn’t going to like this book much, I turned the page and read about halfway down I actually laughed out loud. And from then on the book took a turning point for me. This book gave me a lot of laughs surprisingly, Cath and the rest of the amazing cast were snarky and a little bit quirky.

Fangirl is a smartly written coming of age story about a girl dealing with abandonment issues, co-dependency and social anxiety. It was a very cute and compelling concept that made me think and laugh. It had some great personalities, my favorites were Levi, and Reagan. Polar opposites, Mr. Very Nice and Ms. Not So Very Nice. I liked the banter in the book and wished there was more of that. At first I was a little bored with the Simon Snow stuff and Cath was too anxious and I guess since I’m a bit anxious myself it was throwing me off. So there you go, another reason for me to appreciate this book. I found a character I can relate to.

I liked the art imitating life, imitating art thing going on in the story, with The Simon Snow series stuff. I got that right away and I soon started to love the story within a story parts of the book, especially Cath’s Simon and Baz stuff. I thought those were better. There was so much more to this book than I expected, it touched on a few issues, such as mental illness, and abandonment issues, and how those issues can lead to other issues, such as addiction and anxiety. These issues weren’t actually discussed, but the biggest issue was how Cath and her twin sister Wren were affected by being abandon by their mom.

There is so much I can go on and on about this book, my head is bursting with so much info, but I will sum up by saying that even with a rough start I’m happy that I ended up loving this book. Anyway, great book and I have a couple other Rainbow Rowell’s I need to get to now. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caulfield, MaxwellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, NoelleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jennifer, who always had an extra lightsaber
The Simon Snow Series
"Months are different in college," Levi said, "especially freshman year. Too much happens. Every freshman month equals six regular months - they're like dog months."

Cath struggles to survive on her own in her first year of college while avoiding a surly roommate, bonding with a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words, and worrying about her fragile father.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,962,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible