dismiss

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl

by Rainbow Rowell

Series: Fangirl (1)

Cath struggles to survive on her own in her first year of college while avoiding a surly roommate, bonding with a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words, and worrying about her fragile father.
Recently added bymsto, TheWordReaper, private library, emilymoses, rena40, TamaraReadsBooks, Luis_Castrillo
    The Royal We by Heather Cocks (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Twin sisters who grow apart and renegotiate their relationship as they go off to college
    Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi (Herenya)
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Holiday Blend by Jennifer Montgomery (Herenya)
    Herenya: Both are about a shy fangirl at college.

English (365)  French (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (371)
Very cute story. I read "Carry On" a long time ago, so the whole publishing history of "Simon Snow and the...", by GTL, threw me for a bit. It was confusing as I kept thinking that I had read this somewhere before, but never remembered GTL. Anyway, overall, very cute story. ( )
  sishpa | Apr 25, 2020 |
I read and review books on my website, Rachel Reading. Check it out for more reviews like this.

My foray into Rainbow Rowell has been a good one. My first one, Attachments, was really good and this actually lived up to it's hype for me. Rowell is a fantastic author with a real insight into how teenage/young adult girls exist in this day.

Fangirl follows Cather and Wren, twins who are headed off to college together, but not. Wren is ready to fly the coop and explore partying, boys and all the things college stereotypically is. Cather on the other hand, isn't ready for the world without her sister. She hasn't ever existed outside of her relationship with her sister. Cather is also a quite popular fanfiction writer for a book called Simon Snow. The book includes some of Cather's fanfic and is just..amazing.

This book was a little misleading for me because I vividly remember being told that it was about a girl that writes Harry Potter fanfiction and I was so. here. for that. BUT clearly because of copyright issues that couldn't be. I'll be honest, I skipped over all the Simon Snow fanfic, I'm picky about the fanfic I read on my own (although I have a few guilty pleasures), and I vividly remember being in 6-8th grade and finding Orlando Bloom and Lizzie McGuire fanfic that was just SO amazing and SO romantic that I would print the entire story out and read it on my one mile walk to school from the high school my dad worked at. Fanfic will forever have a soft spot in my heart (like I still remember this random Orlando Bloom fanfic I read called Heart Shaped Box and I'm bitter my favorite Mauraders Lily fanfic is offline), so this book meant a lot to me. I saw a lot of myself in Cather, a lot of who I was in college and how I wish I had someone like Reagan to push me. I was depressed and alone, and too embarrassed to seek help.

This book made me feel better about all of this. It made me feel less alone. Even though I don't have a twin, Wren was the girl I would have been in college if I wasn't too scared. I've always been scared, scared of who would find out if I did something reckless, despite my soul being like "Go Go Go!", but Cather is the girl I was. I immersed myself in a fantasy world that was a much better escape and more validating than real people. And I just really love this book.I don't care about Simon Snow or anything like that, I just love this book. and Harry Potter, and how lucky I feel to have grown up in this generation. ( )
  rachelreading | Apr 21, 2020 |
I absolutely LOVED this book! It completely took me back to the days between Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I stalked fanfiction boards reading so many stories dying for more information and just more from the world. There were stories that I followed that I absolutely loved. Sometimes today I have to stop and think for a minute whether something I remember happened in J.K. Rowling's stories and actual canon or was it something that was in one of the fanfiction stories I read. So to have this story about Cath - a person who is introverted and caught up in her fanfiction world being thrust into a new world where she's having to step out of her comfort zone and let others in. I was destined to love it. And I did. I thought Levi was wonderful. He was actually darn near perfect. I enjoyed this book much more than Eleanor & Park. This story got me excited about what Rainbow Rowell has to offer next. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
Rating: 5/5
Great for people who love: coming-of-age novels, romance, young/new adult fiction

I don't think I can accurately describe the love I have for this book. Rainbow Rowell's writing is absolutely beautiful‚Äč and descriptive and she just makes the story come to life in the best of ways. I don't believe I have ever read a story like this, and all I can say is she nailed it. This book was simply a celebration of everyone who found a story and hung onto it like a friend. Of all those little children that found friends made of words and paper and never wanted to place them back into the story they emerged from. If that is you, then this book is for you. I know it was certainly me, and I can't tell you a book that I have ever connected with more. I adored this book, I adored Cath, I adored the writing style, and I hope you adore it all too.

You can read the rest of my thoughts (with spoilers) at my blog https://abitofbooks.weebly.com ( )
  faithranae | Apr 3, 2020 |
Cather & Wren will quickly suck you into their world and turn you into the ultimate Simon & Baz fangirl! I loved Cath, and especially Levi. I was rooting for these two from day one. And her fan fiction becomes very addictive very fast. A super fun read! ( )
  CatherineStewart | Mar 23, 2020 |

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Caulfield, MaxwellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, NoelleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jennifer, who always had an extra lightsaber
The Simon Snow Series
There was a boy in her room.
"Months are different in college," Levi said, "especially freshman year. Too much happens. Every freshman month equals six regular months - they're like dog months."

In Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life--and she's really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it's what got them through their mother leaving.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,369,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible