Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl

by Rainbow Rowell

Fan fiction is a huge thing and this is the first book I've found that highlights it. Cath was a hugely popular author on the FanFixx site writing stories based on the Simon Snow series (think Harry Potter). She started college this year and had other issues to compound her stress. Her mother had abandoned her family when she was eight and she and her twin sister, Wren, were raised by their bipolar father. Wren floored Cath when she announced they would not be rooming together. Cath found herself sharing a room with Reagan who has a boy friend named Levi.

Cath had major bumps along the way such as her sister's descent into alcohol abuse and her father needing to be hospitalized. But what shocksedher the most is when the teacher of her Fiction Writing course did not allow her to submit her fanfic and called it plagiarism.

I like that this book takes place at college and addresses many of the fears that freshmen face such as where the cafeteria is and manuevering through the first visit there without looking foolish. ( )
  mamzel | Jul 16, 2014 |
I am trying to not work my way through all of Rainbow Rowell's books too quickly but I can't seem to help myself. This is the third I have read and I enjoyed it very much.

Rowell has a gift capture the essence of what it feels when you are at different points in life. She did a wonderful job of teens in Eleanor and Park, twenty-hen it comes to writing characters somethings in Attachments and now she has really captured the transition to college life with her novel Fangirl.

I didn't have much in common with the central character Wren back when I was in college but her story rang true. I don't have much understanding of the world of fanfiction but I feel like I learned a lot through this book. I loved the playful way Rowell riffed on the Harry Potter world to create the Simon Snow world. Fan Fic within Fan Fic? A hall of mirrors? In anycase, I loved this book. Next up is Landline - let's see how long I can hold out before reading it! ( )
  alanna1122 | Jul 14, 2014 |
  aweinel | Jul 14, 2014 |
I loved this book. Each time I read it I felt like I was wrapping myself up in a cozy word quilt. And like fanfic is seen as something indulgent, this book was that for me. It will definitely be put in my 'to be read again' shelf. And actually the use of 'fanfic' episodes acted, at least for me as a palette cleansing device that made me hungry for the next interaction between the characters. I only wish that some day Rainbow Rowell will write the final story for Cath, because everything I read I enjoyed. I see myself in Cath and I appreciate Rainbow's ability to create characters that no only have confidence, but also those who don't. Three cheers for this delightful book! ( )
  ouladybird2005 | Jul 11, 2014 |
** spoiler alert ** So, I must start off by saying that I thought the first quarter of Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell was mind-numbingly boring. I almost gave up on it because of how slow-paced it was. I really wanted to find a way to jump in the pages and slap Cath for being so whiny.

Obviously, I kept reading. The story becomes more interesting around the Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks. I liked the rest of the book after that.

!!!SPOILERS!!!

Long story, short:
Cath and Wren are identical twin sisters who were raised by their crazy dad because their mom left when they were young. They dealt with a lot growing up, and it's shaped who they have become - Simon Snow mega fans. Before heading off to college, Wren decides to mature her image by giving up on being a Simon Snow fangirl and by not rooming with her twin! Cath just can't give it up, and continually works on writing a fanfic about him. Both go their separate ways, Wren joining the party scene, and Cath is basically a Tumblr girl; she stays in her room all the time. The two eventually get in a big fight, as all sisters do. Both start romantic relationships. Cath deals with her writing partner stealing from her. Eventually, Wren goes overboard, and the two sisters make up. It is revealed that Wren is still a Simon Snow fangirl after all; just a closet Simon Snow fan. Eventually, Cath resolves to finish her school work and both sisters enjoy the release party for the eighth Simon Snow book.

There's family. There's love. There's fighting. There's college. I wouldn't exactly call it Young-Adult, but I don't think it's a New Adult novel, either. It's like a happy marriage of the two genres.

So yes... I liked the book, but I really don't know what to think of the ending. I liked how it ended with something new from Cath, but I would have liked to see what happened with Cath, Wren, Levi, and Reagan. Who knows, maybe there will be something new with these characters. I'd like that, especially something from Wren's point of view. ( )
  xerinxlynnx | Jul 11, 2014 |

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, NoelleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jennifer, who always had an extra lightsaber
The Simon Snow Series
"Months are different in college," Levi said, "especially freshman year. Too much happens. Every freshman month equals six regular months - they're like dog months."

Cath struggles to survive on her own in her first year of college while avoiding a surly roommate, bonding with a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words, and worrying about her fragile father.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,625,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible