Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl

by Rainbow Rowell

English (137)  French (1)  All languages (138)
+1 star: For the writing style and the various relationships described.
+1 star: For Cath's character development... finally getting over the anti-social craziness AND for standing up for herself by not agreeing to be a co-author on "Nick's story"
+1 star: For Levi, Reagan and Professor Piper
+1/2 star: For expected happy ending.

A lot of people said this reminded them of college life, but I wonder if anyone was really this anti-social to begin with. Cath clearly has gotten way too comfortable by having a twin sister around her all the time. She never had to make an effort to find a partner for projects, people to sit with at lunch or even worry she would be a social outcast since she just need to tag along with Wren. Unlike Cath, most of us was forced out of our comfort zone, going out of our ways to make friends in new environments - to adapt. So no, I don't share Cath's college experience. In the end, she is one lucky girl.
  o.orange.o | Oct 25, 2014 |
God, Cath is the worst. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell is about that trying first year of college, away from home, trying to be an adult, trying to take on new responsibilities while holding onto old hobbies. Cath and her twin sister, Wren, are Freshman in the same college but they aren't roommates. For Wren, it's freedom; for Cath, it's like being shipwrecked.

Cath has come to college to hone her skills as a writer. She's a rabid fan of the Simon Snow fantasy series (think Harry Potter). She's been writing a popular fan fiction called Carry on Simon. Except the fan fiction gets in the way of her school work, and ends up being a way for her to find a new boyfriend (gag!).

The main problem here is that Cath is a DULL protagonist. She's painfully shy and completely obsessed with her fanfic (which isn't very good, but then neither is the source material). And then there's her new boyfriend who is written like the classic "good boy" player who preys on young women for his own sexual kicks. I really hoped that he'd be revealed as a cad but sadly, he ends up being the new boyfriend.

Then there are the LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG passages of Carry on Simon that do nothing for the book except to remind me just how much I hate Harry Potter and I why I tend to avoid the most rabid of the fandom.

Tucked away in all that vapid prose is an interesting story of a father succumbing to his own mental illness now that his daughters are in college. The father who is mostly shown through missed phone messages and brief flashbacks is the most tragic of the characters. I really wanted to read more about him and much less about either Cath or Wren. I could completely without any of the Simon Snow excerpts or Cath's fan fiction. ( )
  pussreboots | Oct 17, 2014 |
Fangirl was one of those find-excuses-to-keep-listening, over-too-soon, wish-I-could-read-it-for-the-first-time-again books. I don't know how Rainbow Rowell does it. Her stories could be so painfully cheesy, and yet in her hands, they’re perfect. If adult chick lit were like this, I’d read it. The characters, the dialogue, the narration that holds it all together — it all feels so real. The balance of heavy stuff and lighter bits is spot on. And the plot pacing, the rise and fall of the narrative, the events — nothing feels forced or contrived. All of which I find seriously impressive.

Full review is posted on Erin Reads. ( )
  erelsi183 | Oct 2, 2014 |
I loved Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell! It's a realistic novel about the first year of college for twins Cather and Wren.

Cather is a huge fan of a fantasy series that is much like Harry Potter, but this character is Simon Snow. She writes fan fiction that is followed by thousands of readers. The eighth novel will be out by the end of her freshman year, so Cather is determined to finish her version before the copyrighted, real novel is released. Her obsession keeps her in her dorm room most of the time writing. Cather doesn't seem particularly happy and doesn't go out of her way to make friends. Her roommate is rather scary but a good person, nonetheless. Cather thought that she and Wren would be roommates, but Wren wants to go off on her own. Now Cather lives with Reagan in their dorm room. Cather meets Levi, Reagan's boyfriend. These two become Cather's main friends. She also plans on being a writer, so she gets special permission to take "Fiction Writing" from a well-known professor. Cather is good--everyone in class knows. Nick decides to be her writing partner, making Nick Cather's third friend.

While Cather is learning to live without her twin, Wren is getting out of control. She parties way too much and makes tacky comments to Cather. Cather feels more and more alienated as she isn't a partier and just wants to write in her dorm room. Levi and Reagan are really good to Cather and help her adjust to life at college. Cather finds the craziness of college a waste of time. She has always been responsible. She takes care of her dad who is bipolar; she worries that while they are away, he'll forget to eat or go off the deep end. Trying not to worry about her father, worrying about Wren, writing for thousands of fans, and learning how to live on her own in college, Cather has to find who she is and find a way to trust people and enjoy life.

I could not stop listening to this novel. I was so wrapped up in Cather's life. I really, really liked this novel. This is a novel for mature readers who like realistic fiction. ( )
  acargile | Sep 28, 2014 |

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caulfield, MaxwellReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, NoelleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jennifer, who always had an extra lightsaber
The Simon Snow Series
"Months are different in college," Levi said, "especially freshman year. Too much happens. Every freshman month equals six regular months - they're like dog months."

Cath struggles to survive on her own in her first year of college while avoiding a surly roommate, bonding with a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words, and worrying about her fragile father.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,484,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible