Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl

by Rainbow Rowell

Series: Fangirl (1)

The Royal We by Heather Cocks (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Twin sisters who grow apart and renegotiate their relationship as they go off to college
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Holiday Blend by Jennifer Montgomery (Herenya)
    Herenya: Both are about a shy fangirl at college.

English (279)  French (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All (285)
Fangirl is very funny and witty, but also will tug at your heart strings! Rainbow Rowell is becoming one of my favorite young adult authors! If you have read Eleanor and Park, you will like Fangirl. However, Fangirl is not as dense as Eleanor and Park. Cath struggles with her family, especially the relationships with her sister and her mother. She also struggles with her anxiety and discovering her own identity. She is a very relatable character. I would recommend this book to high school students, especially students who enjoy writing. As a writer herself, Cath grows throughout the story and addresses her writing struggles and process. Also, I would recommend this to any die-hard Harry Potter Fanfiction fans! ( )
  VClarke | Jul 8, 2017 |
Fangirl has been everywhere since September. Fangirl has had a lot of hype, so much hype that it made me a tad uneasy. Curiosity, as usual, got the better of me so after enjoying Rainbow Rowell’s writing in Eleanor & Park I decided to pick up Fangirl. I’ll start by saying that I’m not disappointed.

See my full review at Hopeful Happiness ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
i could not get into it. i read like a quarter of it but it didn't capture my interest and i found it boring ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
I am on page 6 and I already love it. Cath's inability to self-soothe as she enters the "completely different" social environment that is college/reality by herself is too familiar! ( )
  libheroine | Jun 5, 2017 |
Can we have an "Emergency Kanye Dance Party"?! I don't even like Kanye but I'm willing to put aside my dislike of him for an Emergency Dance Party!!! This book is beyond cute and has so many endearing moments that I just want to hug Cath and cry with her at times. The book is well written and the characters are well developed. I cannot explain how much I love this book and how Rainbow Rowell is by far my favorite author of 2013. I look forward to reading more of her books in the future.

Quick summary:

Cath has a twin, Wren, who is the polar opposite of Cath. Cath is socially awkward, does not like to socialize or meet new people, doesn't like changes, an introvert, intelligent, and a Simon Snow fan-fiction writer. Wren, on the other hand, is very social, love boys and alcohol, an extrovert and very confident. They are going to the same university, but Wren has decided she doesn't want to room with Cath and so as they enter their first semester of college the girls start to drift apart when Wren starts drinking and hanging out with her roommate (Courtney). Cath prefers to stay in her dorm writing Simon Snow fan-fiction, but her roommate's (Reagan) "boyfriend" (Levi) starts to hangout in their room on a consistent basis and Cath soon finds herself attracted to him. She also met a boy (Nick) in her Fiction Writing class and starts writing with him at the library and though she likes him, Cath is unsure whether Nick likes her or just using her to help with his writing. Levi starts to engage Cath in conversations and when he discovers that Cath writes Simon Snow Fan-Fiction, he convinces her to read some of her stories out loud to him. They start to bond over Simon Snow until one night they kissed and everything changes. Cath discovers she's actually not interested in Nick and she's been trying to repress her feelings for Levi because he is Reagan's boyfriend - except he's not. After the kiss, Cath finds out Reagan and Levi were high school sweetheart but have been broken up for two years and they're only friends. And the reason they're constantly hanging out together is because Reagan is helping Levi with his classes. A couple of days after the kiss, at Reagan's insistence shows up to a party at Levi's house and finds Levi kissing another girl. Cath immediately decides she wants nothing to do with him. Cath is heartbroken, so she focuses all her energy on writing Simon Snow Fan-Fiction and avoiding Levi. After winter break, Levi explains to Cath what happened. Although, Cath isn't ready to forgive Levi she is willing to try. Their relationship starts off slow and sweet, which is exactly the kind of pace Cath needs. But as Cath and Levi start ot fall in love with each other, Cath starts to come out of her shell and she starts to see things in a new light.

This is a story about learning to experience things and to live outside of your comfort zone. There are parts that remind me of most coming-of-age books/movies, like The Perks of Being a Wallflower - the most recent YA coming-of-age book I read - which are about these young characters' inability to be present and be a particpant of life outside of their own minds. Cath internalize so many things and is so terrified of the unknown that it leaves her paralyze just thinking about what she has to do. There are people who can relate to Cath, I can attest I have moments like that, and I especially love the part where Cath laments how everyone is always talking about all the things you have to do and where things are but it's the small things that people don't explain to you - such as where the line starts in the cafeteria or where do you sit when every table has someone sitting at it? Can you sit at an empty seat at a table that's currently occupied or is that weird? Questions I've pondered at some point in my life. It's the mundane things that can be intimidating for some and I, too, have felt those fears. It seems silly to have anxieties about finding where the cafeteria is or where to sit, but for those who are socially awkward, shy, or suffers from social anxiety, these mere tasks seem insurmountable at times that it's preferable to avoid them at all costs - i.e. staying home and not going out. No one ever bothers to mention the minute things, they are always focused on explaining the bigger, more interesting things but these minute things can affect a person's experience and can deter people suffering from anxiety issues from wanting to repeat the same things again or from attempting anything involving social interaction.

**I love the contrast between Cath and Wren. I know some people find their names weird but I thought it was clever and funny, especially when Levi figures it out - I enjoyed his reaction to it. I love how they are so different and enjoy seeing Cath come out of her shell, shed her glasses and transform from Clark Kent to Superman. She's not full blown Superman by the end of the story but with Levi's help she's taking baby steps towards becoming more confident and learning to explore the world outside of her head. Also, I adore how Levi uses the metaphor of Clark Kent to discreetly reveal to Cath what he thinks of her. I love how Levi's love, helps Cath deal with a lot of her issues and his patience with her. I just love Levi and despite the one kiss with that girl in his kitchen, he's such a sweet, nice, smiley character. I love Cath and Levi's relationship and how they balance each other out.

I really like how Rainbow Rowell is able to turn such quirky attributes into loving characteristics. I have read this book multiple times and I love it every time I read it. For months, I couldn't stop smiling at the quirkiness and I was just in bliss thinking about the sweet love story. I just ship Cath and Levi so much, it's ridiculous - they may be one of my favorite YA couples ever! I don't know if this book has been option for a movie yet, but I think it would make a great movie - in fact it would make an even better T.V. show - the ending left room for more stories and a T.V. show would be able to capture the essence of Fangirl more than a movie could and expand on it. I'd really like that, to see what transpires after Fangirl.
1 vote jthao_02 | May 18, 2017 |

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Caulfield, MaxwellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, NoelleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jennifer, who always had an extra lightsaber
The Simon Snow Series
"Months are different in college," Levi said, "especially freshman year. Too much happens. Every freshman month equals six regular months - they're like dog months."

Cath struggles to survive on her own in her first year of college while avoiding a surly roommate, bonding with a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words, and worrying about her fragile father.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,046,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible