Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl

by Rainbow Rowell

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Holiday Blend (The Coffee Shop Romances Book 3) by Jennifer Montgomery (Herenya)
    Herenya: Both are about a shy fangirl at college.

English (170)  French (1)  All languages (171)
Title: Fangirl

Author: Rainbow Rowell

Format: E-Book

Time to Read: 1 DAY!

My Review: my oh my, i devoured this book! it says its 445pages, but it didn't even feel like it. i loved this. i'm seriously Cath. i hate going places i've never been, i rather sit inside and only talk to others i know or ever talked to on my blog. some might see it as lame but i love it!

Cath is a great character, written really well. her twin Wren is a wild child and Cath is a house mouse, only seen when you're really looking.

i just really connected and loved this book. i really wish there was more!!

Recommend it?: YES! Rainbow as done it again! ( )
  booklife4life | Jul 3, 2015 |
More reviews can be seen on Boricuan Bookworms.

I have such a love/hate relationship with Fangirl. On one hand, I was completely immersed in the story and I really connected to Cath. On the other hand, I wasn’t completely blown away either. With all the five-star reviews out there, I guess I was expecting more.

I really connected with this book because I was transitioning from High School to College just like she was. I also connected a lot with Cath because I’m a blogger (duh) and it’s sometimes difficult to juggle your blog life with your “normal” life. Cath was nice and down to earth, although sometimes way too stubborn for her own good, but nevertheless nice. I loved her awkward college moments, because I can believe them as if they were my own (not knowing where to eat lunch, not knowing the campus, etc.). I also understand her cautious, protective nature. I felt like Cath would’ve been my perfect college roommate; we’d both be in our pajamas on a Saturday reading a book or something like that. That’d be awesome to me!

Levi was wonderful! I loved him as a character, as a love interest, and as a best friend. Levi has this wonderful personality that just comes out of a page! It was so lovely.

I loved all the secondary characters, too! Reagan especially. She was so snarky, so brutally honest, so metal. I loved her. Even though I’m sure she would’ve been a pain in the ass, I totally would’ve wanted her as a roommate.
“Reagan was sitting up at Cath's desk when Cath woke up.
"Are you awake?"
"Have you been watching me sleep?"
"Yes, Bella. Are you awake?"
"No.”
-Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

“I feel sorry for you, and I'm going to be your friend."
"I don't want to be your friend," Cath said as sternly as she could. "I like that we're not friends."
"Me, too. I'm sorry you ruined it by being so pathetic.”
-Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

I loved how Rainbow wrote the romance here. This romance wasn’t insta-love; it was anything but! The romance in this book is agonizingly slow! It’s that kind of romance that happens when you see two characters and you say “You two are perfect for each other. You may kiss now”.

That’s what happened to me. I was desperately cheering on Cath so she could fall in love with her guy already!

Also, can I say that it’s incredibly unfair that a book could give a person so many feels?

I was just so overwhelmed with the amount of wonderful, lovely quotes that I had to stop and re-listen because they were just so bloody amazing!
“Just … isn’t giving up allowed sometimes? Isn’t it okay to say, ‘This really hurts, so I’m going to stop trying’?”
“It sets a dangerous precedent.”
“For avoiding pain?”
“For avoiding life.”
-Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

The narrator for this book is the same person who narrated Eleanor from Eleanor & Park, and I’ve got to say I really like her as a narrator. The way she can portray the emotions and give a different voice for every character was great! I'll definitely keep looking out for books narrated by Rebecca Lowman.

But... I was really annoyed at all the “Simon Snow” references in this book. I thought it was fine to introduce us to Snow’s world and whatnot, but reading (or listening in my case) to long paragraphs and mentions of Simon Snow fanfiction or bits of story dragged the book down. I would have been fine if it actually contributed something to the story, but it didn’t feel that way at all.

Something else I really didn’t like was the ending. The book just… ended. Just like that. I was left wondering if my audiobook was missing a part or something. It was unfathomable that the book would have ended so abruptly. I felt like I didn’t get closure or anything. I was already skeptical of the book at this point, and then the ending made me realize that I really didn’t like it as much as I was hoping to.

Overall, although I had some disagreements with this book, and I would’ve wanted a better ending, Rainbow Rowell created a great book. A must read for all those fangirls out there. If you want a New Adult read like no other, then definitely pick this up.

Rating: 4 stars ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
Rainbow Rowell is an intimidating author, and recently, she has dominated the world of geeky, nerdy, awkward first love. After having Fangirl on the shelf for ages, I finally decided to pick it up and read it. I had read Eleanor and Park and Attachments. The bar was set high, and Rowell did not meet it.

I have to say, the beginning did not disappoint. It lay down the setting. It introduced the characters. It set the genre, the style, the theme. It was interesting, and quirky. So much was covered in those first few pages, so much necessary information.

The biggest trouble I had with Fangirl was how long the plot took to get moving. When I review books, I try to include the five most important parts of a book: plot, theme, setting, characters and conflict.

The theme? It wasn't obvious, but it was there once you scraped past the words, and it was a good one as well. Fangirl is about Cath's struggle to find who she is without her twin sister, and finding out where she belongs in the big, scary place called College. So it's a book about identity and belonging. Deep. Well done, Rowell. Tick for theme.

Setting? It was done very well. In fact, perhaps the best part of the book, speaking in terms of the actual technical writing. The whole "College" concept was placed well, and the distance (like, the physical distance) between College, and Cath and Wren's home, was reiterated frequently. The vastness of College and the intimidating, daunting feeling of the buildings definitely came across well.

Let's go to the characters. As expected, also another part that Rowell has done well. I think, for myself, personally, when I think of Rowell, and I think of her stories, I think of how well her characters leap to life. How realistic they feel, how they jump off the page. I feel like Cath and Wren, and Eleanor and Park could very well be my friends, from their universe inside the paper.

I guess the conflict was done well. There was just enough of it to stir things up a bit, but not really enough to make it page turning. I guess that's understandable though, because in a novel like Fangirl, you can't expect conflict every bit of the way through, otherwise it would lose the iconic "Rainbow Rowell" laid-back love story feel. So yes, Rowell has also scored higher than average here.

Now I come to the plot. The plot was the biggest problem I had with Fangirl. It was just so frustratingly slow, and I found that all throughout the book, unnecessary information was just being shoved down the reader's throat, as if Rowell was stalling for time. The book reached a little under 500 pages, which I felt was just so unnecessary for the kind of story that Rowell was trying to narrate. About 2/3 of the way through, I just got so bored, I almost felt like putting the book down and starting another. To tell you the truth, not much actually happens in Fangirl:

Girl finds Boy. Girl loves Boy. Girl leaves Twin. Girl finds Twin. Mother leaves Girl. Mother returns to Girl. Girl doesn't have friends. Girl has friends. Girl writes Fan Fiction. Girl still writes Fan Fiction.

There. That was basically the whole plot of Fangirl summed up. It was just so frustratingly slow to develop and I just got bored.

All throughout Fangirl, Rowell has sprinkled her trademark sarcastic wit, which will make the reader laugh, or smile at least. In between the chapters, there are mostly excerpts of "Simon Snow", the story of Rowell's universe, and these actually do a lot to add difference to the book, and make it a lot more interesting. Sometimes, there was a bit of unnecessary back story in between dialogue, but I didn't see it too much.

In conclusion, Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl was a satisfying read with a few hits and a few misses. The writing style is nice, the story is funny, the setting and theme are done nicely, and the characters are relatable. However, the plot takes a while to get rolling, and there's heaps of unnecessary scenes, making the book much longer than it needs to be.

Rating:  7/10

See more of my reviews at https://thegalaxialword.wordpress.com
  phuynh01 | Jun 29, 2015 |
I love, love, loved this book. I bought last year and just got around to reading it because of college and this book told me the story of my freshman year. The main character tells the honest truth about being a freshman in college and adjusting while trying to juggle your life at home, boys, and a social life in general...mixing that in with your life online and attempting to find yourself. The author describes the building of odd relationships, breaking apart of others. Overall, if you are a freshman going to college, an adult that wants to read something funny or a fangirl in general, run for this book. ( )
  Cory_Harris | Jun 17, 2015 |
I've been meaning to pick up a Rainbow Rowell book for a while! I had heard so many great things about her and the hype was definitely true. Its a great contemporary read and had me reading until I finished the entire thing! The characters are charming, yet realistic and refreshing. What makes it even better is that it is completely relatable; Kat's social anxiety and awkwardness really hit home because going to college can be scary and Rainbow Rowell hit all those insecurities that I had too. It was a nice, casual read (plus it's got the cutest cover!) and I will be looking into more of Rainbow Rowell's books soon. ( )
  Ericanneri | May 21, 2015 |

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caulfield, MaxwellReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, NoelleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jennifer, who always had an extra lightsaber
The Simon Snow Series
"Months are different in college," Levi said, "especially freshman year. Too much happens. Every freshman month equals six regular months - they're like dog months."

Cath struggles to survive on her own in her first year of college while avoiding a surly roommate, bonding with a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words, and worrying about her fragile father.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,926,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible