Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl

by Rainbow Rowell

Series: Fangirl (1)

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Holiday Blend (The Coffee Shop Romances Book 3) by Jennifer Montgomery (Herenya)
    Herenya: Both are about a shy fangirl at college.

English (238)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (241)
As I write this, I am trying to think of the last time that I absolutely did not want to finish a book because I just sincerely didn't want it to end. I am still thinking. I will probably still be thinking about that for a while.

Levi and Cather. How utterly sweet!

The writing is excellent, thoughtful. The characterizations are, again, excellent.

The juxtapositions between the world of Simon Snow and Cather, again, excellent.

Oh, too many excellents?

If you doubt me, read the book. I know that there are some who won't be as charmed as I am, but I really hope they are few because it gives me hope as there is something about this little novel that goes beyond the written page and touches deeper things, maybe things that you thought you could cynically hide and yet, here they are.

A major sigh. I wonder if any book any time soon is going to compare with the sweet, gentle sincerity of this one. ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
Well another book I took forever to read and I have to ask myself that same question again. “Why did it took you so long”? No good answer for that, just glad I’ve finally read it.

I’ll start out by saying that I really did enjoy Fangirl, although it did take me a while to get there. It started a bit slow for me, I wasn’t bored reading it, but I wasn’t excited either. When I finally thought to myself that I probably wasn’t going to like this book much, I turned the page and read about halfway down I actually laughed out loud. And from then on the book took a turning point for me. This book gave me a lot of laughs surprisingly, Cath and the rest of the amazing cast were snarky and a little bit quirky.

Fangirl is a smartly written coming of age story about a girl dealing with abandonment issues, co-dependency and social anxiety. It was a very cute and compelling concept that made me think and laugh. It had some great personalities, my favorites were Levi, and Reagan. Polar opposites, Mr. Very Nice and Ms. Not So Very Nice. I liked the banter in the book and wished there was more of that. At first I was a little bored with the Simon Snow stuff and Cath was too anxious and I guess since I’m a bit anxious myself it was throwing me off. So there you go, another reason for me to appreciate this book. I found a character I can relate to.

I liked the art imitating life, imitating art thing going on in the story, with The Simon Snow series stuff. I got that right away and I soon started to love the story within a story parts of the book, especially Cath’s Simon and Baz stuff. I thought those were better. There was so much more to this book than I expected, it touched on a few issues, such as mental illness, and abandonment issues, and how those issues can lead to other issues, such as addiction and anxiety. These issues weren’t actually discussed, but the biggest issue was how Cath and her twin sister Wren were affected by being abandon by their mom.

There is so much I can go on and on about this book, my head is bursting with so much info, but I will sum up by saying that even with a rough start I’m happy that I ended up loving this book. Anyway, great book and I have a couple other Rainbow Rowell’s I need to get to now. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |
There’s a part of me that’s desperately trying to hold onto my youth, obvious in the way I keep going back to these books marketed as “Young Adult” even though, deep down, I know I won’t enjoy it.

That’s not entirely true about Fangirl, though. It’s a good read; kinda entertaining, very cute and funny and easy, but I enjoyed it in the way I sometimes enjoy an episode of America’s Funniest Videos or Family Feud-- it’s mindless fun. I guess I’m just not that invested in a college girl’s life's woes anymore?

Full review: http://joielivre.blogspot.com/2015/11/review-fangirl-by-rainbow-rowell.html ( )
  joiedeslivres | Apr 12, 2016 |
The first thing I have to say about this book is that I had to force myself to stop reading when I had other things to take care of. That's perhaps one of the biggest compliments one can give a book. Even tonight as I finished it, I should have been cleaning my house, but the story and the characters kept calling to me and I could not ignore them. I found the reading about a character who writes to be very fulfilling. I fell in love with Levi easily and even when things looked bad for him, I was disappointed but still in love. I love when a book gives me the "warm fuzzies" in my tummy and that's what the relationship between Levi and Cather did. But it wasn't all mushy romance either and the balance of that with the rest of the story, the heartache, the crazy, the anger, that was what made this one of those that you just don't want to put down. I recommend this book for fans of reading in general, fans of fanfic, and people who live in the midwest because being from Council Bluffs, Iowa myself originally, I found the references to be just another thing to make the story more real. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Young Adult, Fiction, Audiobook ( )
  jmoncton | Apr 7, 2016 |

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caulfield, MaxwellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, NoelleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jennifer, who always had an extra lightsaber
The Simon Snow Series
"Months are different in college," Levi said, "especially freshman year. Too much happens. Every freshman month equals six regular months - they're like dog months."

Cath struggles to survive on her own in her first year of college while avoiding a surly roommate, bonding with a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words, and worrying about her fragile father.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible