Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl (edition 2013)

by Rainbow Rowell

Series: Fangirl (1)

5,0193951,526 (4.16)287
Cath struggles to survive on her own in her first year of college while avoiding a surly roommate, bonding with a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words, and worrying about her fragile father.
Member:KLHtet
Title:Fangirl
Authors:Rainbow Rowell
Info:St. Martin's Griffin, Kindle Edition, 483 pages

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

The Royal We by Heather Cocks (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Twin sisters who grow apart and renegotiate their relationship as they go off to college
    Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi (Herenya)
    An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though they're not your typical love stories, there's plenty of romance in these offbeat, witty realistic stories of recent high school graduates setting off on new adventures (a road trip, college) that help them discover themselves.
    Holiday Blend by Jennifer Montgomery (Herenya)
    Herenya: Both are about a shy fangirl at college.

English (388)  French (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (394)
Reread, but still a favorite of mine. ( )
  askannakarenina | Sep 16, 2020 |
For the most part, Fangirl was a book I enjoyed reading because I found a lot of myself in Cath. I’m very introverted, don’t do well meeting new people, can’t stand parties, and aspire to do well in school/work. Cath is much happier reading and writing her fanfiction for the Simon Snow series, which is yet another part of her character I relate to (though lately I do more reading than writing in the fanfiction world).

This was a great book that portrays the ups and downs of the first year of college. While everyone’s experience is different, I feel like most, if not all, introverts can relate to Cath’s experience in her first year. Change isn’t always easy and some people, like Cath, take a little longer to adjust. The author shows a great portrayal of today’s real-life fangirls (and boys) without demeaning them and making them out to be as odd as everyone seems to think we are. Granted, we are odd, but we’re not crazy.

One of my favorite parts of this book was the argument of fanfiction. Cath’s professor does not view fanfiction as a proper form on literature, and in a lot of cases, maybe it’s not. However, there are so many good ones out there that take a favorite story and warp it to view other possibilities with those characters or to continue their stories well after they’ve been finished by the author. And as we all know, in some cases, fanfiction can lead to writing your own original stories that end up becoming ridiculously successful. So, in my opinion, leave fanfiction be. It’s not hurting anyone and it’s super-enjoyable to read and write on most occasions.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this book and its characters – especially Levi. He was adorable and honestly, I want a Levi of my own now. Fangirl is definitely an authentic young adult novel and it’s worth the read! ( )
  genieinanovel | Sep 15, 2020 |
a really well done, poignant, mostly fluffy coming of age story. absolutely loved it and just wanted to hug my sweet cath and beautiful, wonderful levi! ( )
  firesbrigan | Sep 13, 2020 |
I started this book because I love fanfiction. I sat down to read it in one day and it was good enough to to just that. I liked the relationships and the struggle between the real world and fantasy. I related to it so much.
I give this book 4 stars because I expected a little bit more.... I don't know exactly what but I think it was because it ended to soon for me... I wanted maybe 100 pages more to the story. But this is my first Rainbow Rowell book and it made me want to pick up her other books also :) (And maybe I'll even look for some Fangirl fanfiction ;D) ( )
  iKaroliina | Aug 15, 2020 |
Guys believe the hype! I absolutely loved Levi he was my favourite character. Also Caths and Wrens relationship is soo cute❤ One of the best books if you are craving a cute sweet read.

Reread on 10th January

Loveddddd ittt finished it in one day. Love Levi even more. Nice short cutee read ( )
  Haleema-imran | Aug 3, 2020 |

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Caulfield, MaxwellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, NoelleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jennifer, who always had an extra lightsaber
The Simon Snow Series
There was a boy in her room.
"Months are different in college," Levi said, "especially freshman year. Too much happens. Every freshman month equals six regular months - they're like dog months."

In Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life--and she's really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it's what got them through their mother leaving.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,716,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible