Open Road Summer by Emery Lord

Open Road Summer

by Emery Lord

This was a cute rom-com in book form. I flew through it. I loved the characters. It was exactly what I needed to get over CoFH.

Plot: 3.5/5
As the title suggests, this is a road-trip book. Our main character's best freind is the equivalent of Taylor Swift and the Main character is going on tour with her for the summer.
At one of the first stops, a picture is leaked and a scandal strikes up concerning the Taylor Swift Look Alike. Luckily. Taylor Swift's PR manager has an idea: Lets invite a boy who signed to the same label on tour and let the media think you're dating him!
Enter boy.
Enter drama.

Characters: 4/5
Reagan: Reagan has had a rocky past. An absent mother, an alcoholic dad, and a series of bad choices and boyfriends on her part. At some point before the beginning of this book, something happened that made her reaxamine her whole life and realize, in her words, there are only three things she cares about: Dee, her dad, and her photography.
Dee: Dee is the Taylor Swift Look Alike. Except with WAAAAAY less boyfriends and break-ups. In fact, Dee has only had one boyfriend and one break up. And despite the fact that this break up happened more than a year ago, she's still hung up on it. You can see her trying to hold together even though the fame is causing her to fall apart in this book.
Matt: Matt is the boy Dee's PR manager set her up with. But, predictably enough, Matt and Reagan fall for each other even though he's fake-dating her best friend.

Romance: 4/5
As I said, Reagan had made a series of bad choices and boyfriends prior to the beginning of this book, and the last one has left her sort of vulnerable, which, on top of the fact that Matt is fake-dating her best friend, just another reason to push him away. But Matt is a persistent country homeboy and she eventually gives in.

NOTE ON GIVING IN: I HATE the song "Give". Especially since "Human" and "Battle" were so good. But "Give" was SOOO immature. It pained me to read those lyrics. Listen: I know that county has this stigma, but very few country songs are actually that immature. It just seriously annoyed me, I'm sorry. And if someone wrote ME a song, and they wrote THAT song, I'd be pissed off too. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

When Reagan and Matt start being officially not-dating-because-he's-still-technically-fake-dating-her-best-friend but they're officially in love and Dee knows and it all cool and wonderful and then Corinne comes smashing in, and even though Reagan never explicitly stated her fears in her thoughts, I knew what she was afraind of and I said, out loud, "He'd never do that to you. It's just not in his character." So when that thing happened, though I WAS on Reagan's side, I was still pretty sure that the situation had been horribly misread. And there was a reason she misread the situation, stated apty by Dee and Matt, but the sum of it is: Since her last mistake, she'd been projecting her fears onto Matt their whole relationship. she was ready, prepared, willing to bolt at the first sign of trouble. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
This book was really cute! I enjoyed the plot and the music and touring aspects. Such a cool idea to base a story around.

I will say that the main protagonist Reagan bothered me a little bit at times. I didn't really connect to her and I didn't really agree with the way she handled certain situations or some of the choices she made which made my overall opinion of her diminish a bit.

Overall though I still really enjoyed this book and I look forward to the next book from Emery Lord! ( )
  mmalyn | Feb 24, 2018 |
When I reached almost 40% of the book I thought I might give it 3 or even 4 stars but I swear that when I only had a few chapters left I got so angry because of Reagan... she was unbelievably annoying and exagerating and I won't even start talking about the clicheic conversations. I'm not a fan of books that involve Hollywood stars and singers that fall in love with the simple unknown person but I hoped this might be cool BUT OVERALL it was not that bad. ( )
  Denicbt | Feb 5, 2018 |
Open Road Summer ist ein unvergesslicher Road-Trip. Sommerlich, locker, leicht mit viel Musik und Spaß aber auch schwierigen Momenten. Besonders berührt hat mich die tiefe Freundschaft zwischen Reagan und Dee. Die Charaktere waren authentisch und vielseitig. Nur die spätere Entwicklung der Geschichte konnte mich nicht ganz überzeugen. Da aber der Großteil des Buches einfach wunderbar war und mich mitreißen konnte in dieses Sommer, Sonne, Musik-Feeling, gibt es vier wohlverdiente Sterne. ( )
  Lovelymixblog | Jan 14, 2017 |
This book was not all that I expected. I absolutely loved it! If you're looking for a cutesy dramatic story, this is the one for you. It's not just about the romance but also about friendship and being there for your best friend. Plus road trip! which I love!!

"I think it's the bravest thing in the world...to run straight at love, even knowing how badly you could get hurt." ( )
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |

Follows seventeen-year-old Reagan as she tries to escape heartbreak and a bad reputation by going on tour with her country superstar best friend--only to find more trouble as she falls for the surprisingly sweet guy hired to pose as the singer's boyfriend.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,772,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible